TRIUMPH NEW “TIGER EXPLORER” (1215cc)

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by RCT(V), Apr 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TRIUMPH TIGER EXPLORER DECLARED SHORTCOMINGS

Oh, how I wish I could have been around to hear the bollocking given to “Product Manager” Simon Warburton, when he returned to Triumph’s headquarters in Hinckley, after the press launch of the new Tiger Explorer. :shock:

This particular market sector is all about perception. Of the 27,000 annual sales of the BMW GS and GS Adventurer, only a handful will ever see a sand dune !

Unlike the Tiger 800, and the Tiger 800XC, there is only the option, availability, of spoke (wire) wheels, that would differentiate a Tiger Explorer as just announced, and a Tiger Explorer XC that needs to be in the mind of the buying public - when they compare the new Tiger Explorer with the BMW GS.

Triumph may not sell many Tiger Explorer XC with spoke (wire) wheels, but there should at least be such a model included in their publicity material, brochures and price list.

If the new Tiger Explorer, is only going to be perceived as a competitor for the new Kawasaki Versys 1000, and the Honda Crosstourer, I doubt Triumph will even achieve their own modest sales target of 10,000 a year.

Triumph Explorer - Seeking Explorers

http://assets1.triumphmotorcycles.com/adventure/pdf/Adventure_UK_WEB.pdf

Attached Files:

2. Triumph rarely get it wrong nowadays - as their constantly growing market share shows

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's a nice looking piece of kit, and was at the top of my shopping list (gratuity payout).
    As far as I'm concerned, it would have had little or no off-road use unless I got seriously lost.
    The attraction for me was: shaft drive, sick of oily crap during winter / upright riding postion as I am getting on a bit and my back aint what it used to be / British product made in Britain / it looks the shit!
    Anyway, I have seen sense (the long haired General) and am now looking at a 2nd hand GS, and will wait and see what happens to the Explorer market.
    But it sure is a looker.
    Especially in blue

4. Lets face it, how many BMW GSs do ever see genuine off-road use. This triumph looks set to challenge the BMW GS as well as things like the Ducati Multistada and the jap equivalents. Triumph go from strength to strength and, as a company, one of their big strengths is that they now have models that compete well in almost every significant sector of the road bike market (apart from small capacity / learners bikes). I predict a hit!

• Like Like x 2
  5. I like all things Triumph but if I was going for the round the world style would opt for BMW everyday just for the reputation and build quality.BoaB is right about seeing very few offroad but then I don't do much green laning myself. It's the size of the panniers they fit to them that makes me laugh, you may as well sit in your car.

6. Those T-Birds are good bikes, the newer (Storm?) varient even more so. I know several bikers who have been lured off harleys and onto Triumph by the T-Bird (and that takes some doing).
    Not everyone's cup of tea but a genuine competitor in the category I will summarise as "sporty cruiser". Good value too.

7. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Or they more than likey woke up and gained some sense as well as some money in their wallet/fillings intact

8. Brettarider, when you get a real bike of any description I will start giving your cheap jibes some consideration.

9. The Thunderbird Storm is the one that appeals to me, should I be able to gather enough readies together. I also quite like the Wide Glide if I were to go down the HD route.

Had a look at a Victory Vegas t'other day. Any views on them?

10. I dont get Victory as a brand at all. They are competing head on with Harley but anyone who wants a Harley will buy a Harley. They are effcetively selling to a non-existent customer group. If they had bought and used the Indian name for their "alternative American VTwin" I would get it. But they didnt.

As for the bikes themselves, some of them are nicely styled by the famous Arlen Ness and I am led to believe they are quite well put together and ride ok (I have never tested one) but I think the engines look odd. Cheaper than a Harley but dont hold value so well. They dont have the brand history, aftermarket support or the looks. I wouldnt seriously consider buying one.

If not getting a Harley (look at the Street Bob for the best value in the big-twins) I would go for the TBird Storm or consider the Ducati Diavel as a serious contender. Maybe have a look at what Guzzi are bringing to the table.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Back to big adventure bikes/trailies.

I saw a Buell Ulyssess this morning and I have to say I thought it looked and sounded the ******* nuts. A quick check on Bike Trader shows that they are quite the bargain in comparison to a GS or KTM Adventure.

Any thoughts?

Just to clarify, I'm not considering buying one, I'm still a long way off getting/needing/being able to insure a bike that big. I'm looking at things like an old Tenere or even a tricked up XR.

12. Ravers,

1. Buell are no longer trading. For parts etc you would still need to go to a Harley dealer but they wont be very interested now and even less so as time passes.
    2. Buell designs were neat and clever but they never were the best quality bikes on the planet so you would be buying a (potentially) unreliable and difficult to support machine.

13. Ravers

Furry muff, makes sense. Shame really, nice looking machine.

I thought it was a GS at first as I saw it in my mirror and thought to myself 'oooh look, number 6' (I play count the Ewan Mcgreggor Walts on my way to work to pass the time, my record is 16). I realised it definitely wasn't a GS when I felt the vibrations from it's exhaust through the suspension of my 3 ton 4x4.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ravers

Same as this:

[​IMG]

15. Thats a (heavily) modified Harley Davidson Sportster engine in there (Hence the rumble and vibrations). All other things aside, it benefits (for road use) from a long lasting, quiet, clean and maintenance free belt drive; however, belt drive makes it completely useless as an off road or even gravel track bike (grit and gravel on the pulley will shred the belt in no time).