Triton Shower Install, Plumber or Electrician?

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Did you get a test certificate and did he notify Building Control?.

I'm going to hazard a guess the answer to both of these is no.
Therefor you shower could be fitted in correctly and potentially dangerous.

A bathroom/ Shower room is a special location as such it falls under notifiable works.
Building control in the U.K.?

llech

LE
You have to inform “building g co from” for the fitting of a shower in a privately owned domestic property? Is it also required for washing machines, dishwashers?
No he's waving his willy around. And sounds an absolute Pleasure to be on site with, not that he goes on site by the sounds of it.

Hi All.

Many thanks for all your responses.
I've decided to go down the electrician route instead of the plumber.
It's very likely that the lecky will be able to complete the water connection by simply undoing the connecting nut and re-tightening it on the new. Of course if the electrician says a plumber is needed also, we can go down that path.
Easy as the fitting is, I've never considered fitting it myself, I've got to the stage in life when it's easier just to get someone in.
Plus the certification paperwork will be useful for the solicitors when I move.

A further question to the professionals if I may.

What is the attitude in the trade to the customers who themselves source the items to be fitted?
Is it seen to be helpful or something that slides away at their profit margin?
I don't want to appear a cheap-skate as often it means getting an item of my own choice.
For example, I've also got a Samsung hob to fit, chosen mainly because the wife prefers the controls & appearance. I wouldn't expect to ask the lecky to hunt one of those down. On the other hand, when it come to replacing the fuse box (or whatever they are called these days) it seems a no-brainer to get the electrician to supply it.

What is the attitude in the trade to the customers who themselves source the items to be fitted?
I don't want to appear a cheap-skate as often it means getting an item of my own choice.
For example, I've also got a Samsung hob to fit, chosen mainly because the wife prefers the controls & appearance. I wouldn't expect to ask the lecky to hunt one of those down. On the other hand, when it come to replacing the fuse box (or whatever they are called these days) it seems a no-brainer to get the electrician to supply it.

I encourage it, mainly as I'm an idiot and like saving the customer cash, also with the added bonus if it is faulty it's not my responsibility.
Unless I feck it up installing it. Which nevereverer happens! ;)

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Yes for a shower as it
You have to inform “building control” for the fitting of a shower in a privately owned domestic property? Is it also required for washing machines, dishwashers?
YES as a bathroom/ shower room/wet room is classed as a special location. Not so for washing machines and dishwashers.

Your plumber may be part of part P but unless he issued you a certificate ( more than likely a minor works certificate if it was a like for like swap) and also notified BC then he and you ( its actually up to the home owner to notify BC). Then you have broken building regs and proberbly invalidated your home insurance.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Yes for a shower as it

YES as a bathroom/ shower room/wet room is classed as a special location. Not so for washing machines and dishwashers.

Your plumber may be part of part P but unless he issued you a certificate ( more than likely a minor works certificate if it was a like for like swap) and also notified BC then he and you ( its actually up to the home owner to notify BC). Then you have broken building regs and proberbly invalidated your home insurance.
N it according to my local council, planning office, or builder. Do you want to provide a link?

How would my insurance company know I’ve changed my shower?

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
No he's waving his willy around. And sounds an absolute Pleasure to be on site with, not that he goes on site by the sounds of it.

Errm yes you do, no willy waving here. Just a competent spark that's worked in most aspects of the industry and now lectures the next generation.

No I don't get onto site any more but when I did it was as an MD of my own company and before that a Charge hand/ Supervisor for other company's. Qualified at 20 charge hand at 21. Had lads asking to join my squad all the time. You sound like the sort of bloke I'd have fecked off before lunchtime.

Yes for a shower as it

"YES as a bathroom/ shower room/wet room is classed as a special location. Not so for washing machines and dishwashers".

I guess it's different here in Germany where it's common practice to install the washing machine in a bathroom. Dunno.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
N it according to my local council, planning office, or builder. Do you want to provide a link?

How would my insurance company know I’ve changed my shower?
Yes you do.

Part P will apply to all electrical work in dwellings, whether carried out by professionals or DIYers.

Some DIY work will require the submission of a building notice to the local authority and the payment of a building control fee.

Some minor electrical work will not be notifiable (see above). Examples include adding a lighting or power point to an existing circuit, adding a spur to an existing circuit or replacing a light fitting.

Special locations and installations​

• A room containing a bathtub or shower
  • A room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater.
A special location means:

• A room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or showerhead where the space extends vertically from the finished floor level to a height of 2.25 metres or the position of the showerhead where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a height higher than 2.25 metres from that level or horizontally where there is a bathtub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres. Or where there is no bath tub or shower tray from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres.
Sorry about no like butvits a cut and paste from the iet.org site.

So once again you are wrong.

As for proof of changing a shower that would be up to the forensic team to provide. But I really wouldn't risk it

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Yes you do.

Part P will apply to all electrical work in dwellings, whether carried out by professionals or DIYers.

Some DIY work will require the submission of a building notice to the local authority and the payment of a building control fee.

Some minor electrical work will not be notifiable (see above). Examples include adding a lighting or power point to an existing circuit, adding a spur to an existing circuit or replacing a light fitting.

Special locations and installations​

• A room containing a bathtub or shower
  • A room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater.
A special location means:

• A room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or showerhead where the space extends vertically from the finished floor level to a height of 2.25 metres or the position of the showerhead where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a height higher than 2.25 metres from that level or horizontally where there is a bathtub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres. Or where there is no bath tub or shower tray from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres.
Sorry about no like butvits a cut and paste from the iet.org site.

So once again you are wrong.

As for proof of changing a shower that would be up to the forensic team to provide. But I really wouldn't risk it
Well I’ve just phoned my planning office and was politely told not to waste their time, even searched their website, nothing Pops up for domestic home owners, now if you are sub letting there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Well I’ve just phoned my planning office and was politely told not to waste their time, even searched their website, nothing Pops up for domestic home owners, now if you are sub letting there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Your planning office are wrong I'd polity ask for that in weighing. It's notifiable works END OF. I'm not wishing to get into an argument however. This is what I do for a living. IF you look into part P building regs it's there in black and white. The problem.with most planning officers is that they know alittle about alot, when as tradesmen we know alot about a little.

What types of electrical work are notifiable?​

The introduction of the latest version of Part P was introduced on 6 April 2013, the range of works requiring notification has been reduced.

Notifiable works​

• The installation of a new circuit
  • The replacement of a consumer unit
  • Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit in a special location

Last edited:

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Hi All.

Many thanks for all your responses.
I've decided to go down the electrician route instead of the plumber.
It's very likely that the lecky will be able to complete the water connection by simply undoing the connecting nut and re-tightening it on the new. Of course if the electrician says a plumber is needed also, we can go down that path.
Easy as the fitting is, I've never considered fitting it myself, I've got to the stage in life when it's easier just to get someone in.
Plus the certification paperwork will be useful for the solicitors when I move.

A further question to the professionals if I may.

If im.not supplying it and adding my mark up around 20%, Although even after this is still probably cheaper than you could buy the same make and model shower for as, thanks to trade discount. Then I would only grantee labour

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Your planning office are wrong I'd polity ask for that in weighing. It's notifiable works END OF. I'm not wishing to get into an argument however. This is what I do for a living. IF you look into part P building regs it's there in black and white. The problem.with most planning officers is that they know alittle about alot, when as tradesmen we know alot about a little.

What types of electrical work are notifiable?​

The introduction of the latest version of Part P was introduced on 6 April 2013, the range of works requiring notification has been reduced.

Notifiable works​

• The installation of a new circuit
  • The replacement of a consumer unit
  • Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit in a special location
So the shower I have is a fed of the hot water from the combo boiler,

I‘d rather take the word of the local planning office over an Mr R some on the internet.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
So the shower I have is a fed of the hot water from the combo boiler,

I‘d rather take the word of the local planning office over an Mr R some on the internet.
then it is a thermostatic shower and not electrical
no need to involve planning control, unless you install a pump and vessel into the system