Triton Shower Install, Plumber or Electrician?

I have an electric shower unit to install, it's a fairly basic Triton and a near like-for-like swap. Cold water and power entry at the same points.
Sort of thing I might have done myself a while back but now I'd prefer to get a professional to do it.
My question is, would this best be done by a plumber or electrician? My guess is that either would be able to do it so it's a question of what the norm is and whether any sort of certification is required and if so, who would provide it?

Thanks in advance

Plumber, who will probably put everything in then call an electrician for connecting and certifying the electrics.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
My friend's husband had an electrician friend fit my Triton gsi T70. Former did the plumbing.

If he'd left the manual, I'd have known five years later that the problem was lime scale in the hose. But he didn't, so I bought a replacement. Although son in law fitted it, I could have done it.

Replacing a Triton like for like is an electrician task. Or DIY. No harder than wiring a plug.

Last edited:
Triton... who ever you get to put it in.. it wont be long before you have to call them back when the shitty triton solenoid gets stuck with limescale.. and its fiddly to change, took me 2 hours last time...

Anyway.. Last electric shower a sparky put it in.. shower before that a plumber friend fitted it.. I guess it doesn't matter which if your plumber is OK with electrics....

Piece of piss as Alien says. The one in my parents' house was a Triton. The thermal cut-out gave up. You can get the part for a tenner, but a trip to the electrical wholesalers got a brand new 7KW shower for 40 notes.

I had it in in about 40 minutes. That included taking the old one out, drinking coffee, smoking and talking to my Dad.

llech

LE
Just upgraded mine from 8.5kw to 10.5kw, needing 10mm² cable, and 32amp double pole switch.
Triton showers are simpler in construction but less to go wrong, and once in can be changed in an hour or so if it goes wrong.
My point is they're piss easy, there's only 3 colours in the cable and you can use flexihose fittings if you don’t trust your soldering skills.

A decent plumber will do the whole lot but probably get a sparky to check it off especially if it's a rental property.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Just upgraded mine from 8.5kw to 10.5kw, needing 10mm² cable, and 32amp double pole switch.
Triton showers are simpler in construction but less to go wrong, and once in can be changed in an hour or so if it goes wrong.
My point is they're piss easy, there's only 3 colours in the cable and you can use flexihose fittings if you don’t trust your soldering skills.

A decent plumber will do the whole lot but probably get a sparky to check it off especially if it's a rental property.

No you need a 45 amp isolator ( can be a suitablely rated pull switch) ohms law tells us that 10.5kw. Or 10500W ÷230 ( Nominal voltage in the uk) = 45.652A.
I can near enough guarantee that your connections will be shit and that you have not performed the required tests and notified BC.
Get a electrician in before you kill yourself or a family member.

I have an electric shower unit to install, it's a fairly basic Triton and a near like-for-like swap. Cold water and power entry at the same points.
Sort of thing I might have done myself a while back but now I'd prefer to get a professional to do it.
My question is, would this best be done by a plumber or electrician? My guess is that either would be able to do it so it's a question of what the norm is and whether any sort of certification is required and if so, who would provide it?

Thanks in advance
Not sure what model you have, this shows aTriton T80Z being fitted. Probably videos for your model.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Right so one of the most potentially dangerous pices of equipment in your homes and you lot want to **** around with it yourselves?.
Give your head a wobble and pay a spark to come and install it.
Fun fact, it can take as little as 80mA to stop the human heart ( Assuming that your an adult healthy and have no underlying health conditions).
So your shower has the capability to kill you 55.2 times over.
Yea that sounds like something you should have a crack at your self.

Just upgraded mine from 8.5kw to 10.5kw, needing 10mm² cable, and 40amp double pole switch.

Fixed. 10.5 kw is 40 amps. Rule of thumb:- 1 amp =250w +/- appx. Diversity factor=100% which means that full load will be used most, if not all the time. :p

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Fixed. 10.5 kw is 40 amps. Rule of thumb:- 1 amp =250w +/- appx. Diversity factor=100% which means that full load will be used most, if not all the time. :p

230v 250 was used a good few years ago for back of fag packet cable calcs but not any more. Go back to school and stop trying to show off. I teach this shit for a living.

You need 16mm old chum...

llech

LE
No you need a 45 amp isolator ( can be a suitablely rated pull switch) ohms law tells us that 10.5kw. Or 10500W ÷230 ( Nominal voltage in the uk) = 45.652A.
I can near enough guarantee that your connections will be shit and that you have not performed the required tests and notified BC.
Get a electrician in before you kill yourself or a family member.
Calm down, 50 amp breaker fitted.

Latest Threads