Tristar fleet get drubbing on BBC news

No links yet but the BBC radio news are running stories about how the Tristar fleet is so unreliable with up to 25% unavailability.

Ain't going to stop them using them.......

Speedy said:
No links yet but the BBC radio news are running stories about how the Tristar fleet is so unreliable with up to 25% unavailability.
The MoD responded that 92% of flights arrived within 6 hours of scheduled time.
Hardly the RAF's fault really, if all they have are old sheds to fly people around in then they aren't going to be very effective

The problem is there is no other option, there simply isn't the money to replace them.

Ord_Sgt said:
The problem is there is no other option, there simply isn't the money to replace them.
There's plenty of money but it's all being spent on chavs, foreigners and MPs expenses.

Only 40 Tristars (out of 250 built) are still operational.

The RAF has 9 of those.

Next biggest users are:

Air Rum (5) Siera Leone airline based in Jordon. On the list of carriers banned by the EU

Sky Gate International (4) They are based in Jordon. Also on the list of carriers banned by the EU

Others are operated by the following big names:

Air Universal
Al Anwa
Almiron Aviation
Bismillah Airlines
EuroAtlantic Airways
Hewa Bora Airways
International Air Services
Las Vegas Sands Corporation
Luzair
Orbital Sciences Corporation
Orient Air
Privilege Jet Airlines
Starjet

Anybody see a pattern here?

Don't worry, the way it's going we're all going to be able to fit on one aircraft anyway in a couple of years. Then reliability of the airframe won't be an issue...

jagman said:
Speedy said:
Hardly the RAF's fault really, if all they have are old sheds to fly people around in then they aren't going to be very effective
Does the MOD mean 92% of flights were up to 6 hours late?

Scabster_Mooch said:
jagman said:
Speedy said:
Does the MOD mean 92% of flights were up to 6 hours late?

I suppose you could put it that way :D

vvaannmmaann said:
Ord_Sgt said:
And yet,"our glorious gobmint" can pay around 13 billion pounds for a computer network to link up the NHS?
Don't forget the £50 billion and counting, to save Northern Rock.
I wonder how many new airframes you could buy with that?

vvaannmmaann said:
Ord_Sgt said:
And yet,"our glorious gobmint" can pay around 13 billion pounds for a computer network to link up the NHS?
I think you'll probably find that it's a computer network that's supposed to link up the NHS.

vvaannmmaann said:
Ord_Sgt said:
That doesn't bloody work.
Funny how the NHS has managed without it for the last 50 years or so.
Completely un-necessary waste of money. Again

Speedy said:
I was out to AFG 12 times between 12/05 - 02/07, including flights in and out on R & R, start of tour, end of tour, sounds about right to me. The age of the airframe and it's beasting makes sense when compared against the stats. Of course, it will be an emotional issue for those of us on the way back for leave. I had to wait a long time for some of the flights, which was upsetting, but par for the course.

The replacement for the Tristar,the A330 has been delayed by 4 years of dithering.

The government have signed a PFI contract IIRC for 14 A330 for around 13 billion quid.This sounds like the MoD were ripped-off grandly.The list price for this type of aeroplane is(I think) around 200 million quid,and with say another 100 million for conversion to a tanker,still leaves around 600 million quid per aeroplane unaccounted for.

If correct,this means that what little money is allocated to defence in the UK is not spent effectively.

The Tristar was a good aeroplane in it's time,but that was about 25 years ago.

The Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft was supposed to replace the Tristar, but it got bogged down in the PFI - I was working on the edge of the programme back after the Strategic Defence Review in 1998. Guess what? 10 years later and we are still flying antiques, which had been "round the clock" when we brought the bloody things.

Back in Bosnia in 95 and 96, I always made sure I returned on my R&R on a C130. There were constant problems then over a decade ago. Hercs were noisy, but I could lie on the ramp and they tended not to breakdown quite so often.

Bottom line if you want to deploy overseas and then sustain an op, then you need aircraft. Unaffordable? If they are then we need to pull out of the Stan and Iraq. This is a scandal and partly one of our senior officers making - along with the odd (very) civil servant and politician.

Somebody in the RAF should be shot for this. They need to concentrate on their bread and butter a little more. Instead of promoting the two winged master race, perhaps the odd transport chap or supply and mover should be put in a position to argue the case for transport aircraft more strongly. Instead they keep on promoting pilots and engineers who know nothing about logisitcs or deployment. Some of them are embarrassing. And as for triservice - putting some of these RAF chaps in high positions with no operational experience is plan stupid.

What are we going to do? Wait until the Tristars become flying exhibits in Duxford (air bit of the Imperial War Museum) or one crashes? we have already lost a Nimrod, I pray we won't see a VC10 or Trisatr go down.

This subject makes my blood boil (pass the paper bag - deep slow breathing).

The replacement for the Tristar,the A330 has been delayed by 4 years of dithering.
That G Brown for you (tight cnut)

The government have signed a PFI contract IIRC for 14 A330 for around 13 billion quid.This sounds like the MoD were ripped-off grandly.The list price for this type of aeroplane is(I think) around 200 million quid,and with say another 100 million for conversion to a tanker,still leaves around 600 million quid per aeroplane unaccounted for.
A bit over the top but remember that the plane has to be fitted with stuff like anti missile stuff and based over 30 years with crab air not paying for day to day stuff eg full maintenance, fleet management and ground services

The Tristar was a good aeroplane in it's time,but that was about 25 years ago.
Bet you will be saying this in 30 years time about this plane because thats how long it will be in service

Dave