Tripoli Falls! How it Happened

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by Andy_S, Aug 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

OK, the easy bit - overthrowing the dictator - is over.

The difficult bit - establishing a viable government and disarming and 'de-revolutionizing' the people - is still to come.

But even so....

....this is tremendous news. Dictator given boot; nation freed; and viable hopes that Libya will become a democratic and prosperous nation. (Libya was not, is not, and damn well should not become Afghanistan)

To which I would add (in defiance of every recent poster on ARSSE...?):
    Hail Cameron - and hail Sarko.

You did the right thing. The success of the Libyan op has significant repercussions for NATO, particularly for the European element of NATO.

And of course, a great "hands off" operation by NATO, even if it took longer then expected.

What turned the tide in rebels' march to Tripoli? - World Wires -
  2. The 'liberation' of Libya (i.e handing the country from one dictator over to a group of others who all hate each other, btw) was a PR stunt organised by the manufacturers of the Rafale and the Typhoon, with financial backing from the big oil companies.

The Septics did next to nothing, but Obama - between trips to Taco Bell and Burger King - will claim the moral credit for 'behind the scenes intel' as will Dave and the Frog Dwarf for sanctioning airstrikes.

We will once again blame The Colonel for Lockerbie, even though it was the Syrians and the PFLP-GC wot did it and after a few weeks, Libya will transform itself back into the same toilet it was before it all kicked off.

"Arab Spring" my arse.

MEanwhile Sky News will get a gong for Alex Crawford's videos of herself in Green Square and the BBC will hold an internal enquiry into how it managed to miss the story completely, because they are a bunch of *****.

Assad will be keen to inspect his gusset for obvious signs of panic-induced dung-spatter and the Yemenis will carry on with their usual revolutionary cluster ****.

Nothing to see here. Move on.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Most Arabs (using the term loosely) hate being told what to do. Mind you the Italians and most Med types are like that too.

The only way the Arabs''ll toe the line is if someone scary makes families disappear in the night etc.

From Mohammed to Salahadin to Saddam to Ghaddafi - they all knew that.

Just wait for the in fighting and back stabbing to begin.

Good luck Libya.
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

not so fast, he's chucking scuds over head and using tanks in the city. with any luck he will use the plane the south africans have waiting for him in tunisia and bugger off to stay with chavez.
  5. Sure I spotted a caption saying Angola had offered Gaddafi asylum - possibly courtesy of South African Airways?
  6. Notice that the Transitional government, backed by Dave and the rest, is led by Mustafa Backhander, Omar Bribemenow and Abdul Chequeinpost, all of whom served in Gaddafi's 'government'.

By defecting when they did and by taking advantage of the old 'power vacuum' ploy, they'll probably avoid being strung up from a lamp post. Instead they'll dine at the White House, the Elysee and Downing Street, while the oil issue is discussed.

Meanwhile local corruption and the beating of women (as feminist Guardian readers, we must respect Arab culture) will continue.

The next step will be for us to get our wallets out to rebuild the country.

On the home front, the media will have to explain why they were reporting that Saif was under house arrest, but now appears to be out roystering in the street with other Gaddafi forces.
  7. We pay, they say.
  8. Grumblegrunt

its down to the ICC and who is signed up to it. the AU wants him out of the way to restore stability and according to the papers south africa is ready to ship him out because they think NATO cheated on its mandate.
  9. Give me five minutes to finish my ululating.....Allah u Akhbar, etc.

But I think you might be right. Despite what Zuma says in public, I'd put a fiver on The Colonel turning up there. They're as corrupt as he is and we don't know what kind of deal he made with them when the AU delegation popped over to organise a peace deal, with their usual, amazing competence.
  10. Grumblegrunt

especially as he bankroled it for years to try and be popular somewhere and he wanted to be president of africa. otherwise the AU would have folded yonks ago
  11. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

News from where I am at:
    Seoul has generously offered US$1 million to Libyan rebels (and 'there may be more money if they request it" said an unnamed foreign min official).

Clearly, South Korea has (belatedly) realized who is going to win this one, and after handing over the, aid payment....are very keen to start getting contracts.

Hope our firms (those we still have left) are gearing up to get in.
  12. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

It hasn't fallen.
  13. Over the night it seems that the Rebels have withdrawn from many parts of Tripoli, despite having claimed to control 90% of the city yesterday. Rebels have also claimed to have captured Gaddafi's sons yesterday, only for one them to tour the City with a foreign journalist over night.

Who knows whats going on!!
  14. And since the one and only reason that we're in Libya is to prevent Colonel Gadaffi's brutal oppression of his own people, we'll obviously be doing the same thing in Syria next, right? Right?' [whistles and walks away.....]
  15. This is what happens when I take my eye off the ball for a couple of months. We are completely backing the wrong horse, and the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Here's the bottom line:

Who would you rather go out on the piss with:

a. Barack Obama
    b. 'Dave' Cameron
    c. Colonel Muammar Ghadaffi

It's a no brainer. The Colonel wins every time. Between the smartest uniforms since Idi Amin (another good overseas cadet), gleaming patter, and access to the very prettiest girls an Iso container can deliver from the Balkans, with Big G you'll end up in Mahiki's and then Spearmints all night every night.

Compare and contrast to talking about the budget with POTUS over a room temperature bottle of bud and watching some boring basketball, or a homely supper party in Notting Hill with Dave, discussing his homemade pasta. No wonder we're in a mess.

There's only one way forward. Get Maggie our of her cryo-chamber and reinstal her as Reichsmarschal for life, OPCOM to HMTQ. Bring all the splendid young men who volunteered for the Duke of Edinburgh Extreme High Street Survival Expedition (street riots) under compulsory military service and re-expand the armed forces by 200,000. Military Bands to play in bandstands every saturday morning. Gentlemen to wear hats.

All these foreign fakirs and blackguards would start toeing the line before the first troopship was even loaded.

And we'd have enough men to street line from Buck House to Dover! And then have proper wars in proper countries, with proper food and proper loot/damsels/etc.
    • Like Like x 6