Triple amputee wants to return to Aghanistan and parachute

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by kennys-go-nad, Feb 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the chances of this actually happening? Will they ever let him go back?
  2. Why shouldn't they? If he can do his job that's enough. What's the saying see the person not the disability.
  3. I may take the day off then and have a look
  4. All the best to him, I'm chuffed to see he is getting on so well!
    Plus, a Porsche??? Good drills mate! :D
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

And acknowledge the threat to others around him who will need to look after him if he deploys.

You're right, it is inspirational and I think the bloke has an admirable can do/will do attitude. I wish him well for the future.

But its a future that shouldn't include the Forces, let alone deploying to an operational theatre. Common sense must win out here.

Hat on and expecting incoming for daring to be the brutal realist......
  6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

it said in the story he's passed his medical board and his seniors are backing him.

it doesnt make any mention of his balls but they must be fcuking huge. ;)
  7. I do agree with you, but I did say IF he can do his job. That means not being a threat to his muckers.
    If he can and isn't why not?
  8. He can run at the speed of a thousand gazelles with his spring legs on :)
  9. Well thats sadly the point, he is no longer able to carry out the same functions as his muckers, otherwise Para Reg would directly recruit amptuees in the first place.
    Tom's attitude both before and after his loss, along with the attitude he showed in his recovery is the epitomy of the "Airborne Spirit" and he is a credit to the Parachute Regiment.
    However he is no longer capable of serving within a frontline unit without putting his muckers at risk, teasing the guy with false notions that anything else is the case is out of order, it may sound harsh to have to tell Tom that he can no longer do the job he loves but you have to be cruel to be kind.
  10. Fit you see :lol: 2 not 3 :D :D :D :D
  11. And he's ginger FFS :D :D
  12. This young lad is an inspiration to anyone injured on Ops, fair play mate you have balls of steel, well done and good luck with your future.
  13. I wonder what ARRSE's own resident expert on all things disabled, Whet, would make of this story? I might inspire him to beat his narcolepsy and get a job!

14. :D