Triple amputee wants to return to Aghanistan and parachute

Jordo said:
What's the chances of this actually happening? Will they ever let him go back?
Why shouldn't they? If he can do his job that's enough. What's the saying see the person not the disability.

I may take the day off then and have a look

All the best to him, I'm chuffed to see he is getting on so well!
Plus, a Porsche??? Good drills mate! :D

llech said:
Jordo said:
Why shouldn't they? If he can do his job that's enough. What's the saying see the person not the disability.
And acknowledge the threat to others around him who will need to look after him if he deploys.

You're right, it is inspirational and I think the bloke has an admirable can do/will do attitude. I wish him well for the future.

But its a future that shouldn't include the Forces, let alone deploying to an operational theatre. Common sense must win out here.

Hat on and expecting incoming for daring to be the brutal realist......

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
it said in the story he's passed his medical board and his seniors are backing him.

it doesnt make any mention of his balls but they must be fcuking huge. ;)

in_the_cheapseats said:
llech said:
Jordo said:
And acknowledge the threat to others around him who will need to look after him if he deploys.

You're right, it is inspirational and I think the bloke has an admirable can do/will do attitude. I wish him well for the future.

But its a future that shouldn't include the Forces, let alone deploying to an operational theatre. Common sense must win out here.

I do agree with you, but I did say IF he can do his job. That means not being a threat to his muckers.
If he can and isn't why not?

maguire said:
it said in the story he's passed his medical board and his seniors are backing him.

He can run at the speed of a thousand gazelles with his spring legs on :)

llech said:
in_the_cheapseats said:
llech said:
Jordo said:

I do agree with you, but I did say IF he can do his job. That means not being a threat to his muckers.
If he can and isn't why not?
Well thats sadly the point, he is no longer able to carry out the same functions as his muckers, otherwise Para Reg would directly recruit amptuees in the first place.
Tom's attitude both before and after his loss, along with the attitude he showed in his recovery is the epitomy of the "Airborne Spirit" and he is a credit to the Parachute Regiment.
However he is no longer capable of serving within a frontline unit without putting his muckers at risk, teasing the guy with false notions that anything else is the case is out of order, it may sound harsh to have to tell Tom that he can no longer do the job he loves but you have to be cruel to be kind.

Gungythree said:
maguire said:

He can run at the speed of a thousand gazelles with his spring legs on :)
Fit you see :lol: 2 not 3 :D :D :D :D

This young lad is an inspiration to anyone injured on Ops, fair play mate you have balls of steel, well done and good luck with your future.

I wonder what ARRSE's own resident expert on all things disabled, Whet, would make of this story? I might inspire him to beat his narcolepsy and get a job!

Jordo said:
That will be decided whether 'they' could garner any votes.

Luckily 'they' were not in command when Douglas Bader decided to 'do it' again.

Some 'Elf & Safety' twat will probably pronounce on something or other, despite knowing nothing of disability or parachuting.

How many times can I type: NAILS - before I wear the keyboard out?

Maybe some should check this out:

Skydiver of the Year - Alistair Hodgson
28 Jan - Alistair Hodgson has won the BPA Taz Causer UK Skydiver of the Year Award 2009. It was presented at the BPA AGM in in January 2010. Alistair is a highly skilled camera flyer, freeflyer, freefly coach and organiser. What a fantastic year 2009 was for him. He and his team Airkix Freestlyle won the British Nationals in Freestyle for the second year running. They went on to 5th place at the World Cup and 4th in the European Championships. He was one of 14 who set a new British Head Down Freefly Record. He gave his time to coach on BPA Freefly Roadshows. He helped to organise and participated in numerous skydiving events in the UK and internationally. Alistair has become an incredible role model and ambassador for our sport. As a Patron of the Preston Disability Information Services Centre (now Disability Equality NW), he inspires people with physical disabilities. More than that, he inspires us all. � See press coverage: 1 2 3 4.

Link:http://www.bpa.org.uk/

Great guy.

Tom Neathway was one of the squaddies depicted in the BBC documentary "Wounded". He utterly impressed me then with his absolutely indomitable spirit, and he's still doing it now. I hope, if it's at all humanly possible, that he achieves his aim. I'm sure that he's well aware of his limitations and, as a squaddie (and ex-Para) would be the very last to endanger any of his muckers. Words just can't express the admiration and profound respect I have for him.

MsG

Bugsy said:
Tom Neathway was one of the squaddies depicted in the BBC documentary "Wounded". He utterly impressed me then with his absolutely indomitable spirit, and he's still doing it now. I hope, if it's at all humanly possible, that he achieves his aim. I'm sure that he's well aware of his limitations and, as a squaddie (and ex-Para) would be the very last to endanger any of his muckers. Words just can't express the admiration and profound respect I have for him.

MsG
Well said.