Trilux sight question.

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by filthyphil, Feb 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Out of interest, and at the risk of starting another SLR thread, how were they allocated and who got them?

2. IIRC they were issued to everyone with an SLR when the Unit deployed on Op Banner.

3. Was it up to the individual if they were used?

4. It was a while ago (81) and the guys had to use them. Some left them off others liked them as they give you a bit of magnification when patrolling.

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

What sort of Army do you think it was in the '70s / '80s? There was no mix-n-match then! :)

If you were issued a SUIT you used it. In the Infantry, at least, there was not really an option, as far as I recall. They were pretty useful, the Tritium provided a decent glow, but the arrow pointing down always seemed odd, and they did not keep their Zero well after being bashed around in LRs, Pigs, people's heads, etc. The spring fitting was not particularly robust, and I was not alone with having it attached via a loose bit of para cord to the rifle stock, just in case...

Personally I preferred the lightly wider foresight blade with a tritium source built-in. Combined with the twin aperture rear sight it made shooting in low light a lot easier, and without the loss of SA you got with the SUIT. SUIT was never intended for use in darkness (that's what the nice little IWS was for) but for use in crepuscular conditions - a word I've never forgotten, and which I try to bring into conversation even now to show how edumacated I am.

• Like Like x 3
  6. My goodness i am impressed, and i think crepuscular should be used more often its a cracker!!!!!!!!

7. Must admit that we , RGJ. were all issued with one, It was personal choice whether you used it and was split about 50/50. Some people thought that it slowed you down when snap shooting but the range package at Lydd gave you plenty of practice. I liked it and always used it.

Re the Zeroing. Yep, they were a bit fragile but that's what the Pipe Range was for...check re using para cord to secure the things, just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In 83 we were issued ours or rather made to zero ours for an Op Banner tour, I hadnt used mine since arriving in Bn and didnt like the one in Training and we generally didnt use them after training on them at IJLB. The Bn ordered everyone to use it but luckily mine was BLR the week we deployed and as a baton gunner I didnt want to lose the sight when the rifle was slung. It meant that I got the IWS but I only took that out once in 4 months.
    In essence on Op Banner policy was everyone was issued in Bn and was supposed to use from CO down. I recall a fair few of us didnt.

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Not the NI Armoured Car Regiment (Omagh). Being cavalry we simply used our inherently better marksmanship skills without relying on newfangled technology.

10. AlienFTM

Cats are not nocturnal, they are crepuscular. It seems you and I are better ejumacated than the Firefox spellchecker which offers only corpuscular.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Isnt corpuscular shit eating?

12. I take a very dim use of the word myself :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sorry thats coprophagia

14. AlienFTM

And you know this because ... ?

Guy walks along, stops, foot hovering. Looks down, sees a brown pile.

"That looks like shit."

He gets to his knees and sniffs. "Smells like shit."

Sticks his finger in. "Feels like shit."

Licks his finger. "Tastes like shit."

"Must be shit. Glad I didn't step in it."

I'll get me coat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No the young ones and Vivian says I bet that poo tastes like poo, and he was right!