Trident 'to stay in Scotland'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Jan 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Weather's nicer in Kings Bay.
  2. Get the Royal Navy back to Bermuda with 360 degree exit points. Close enough to King's Bay, too.
  3. Perhaps we'll keep parts of the Braveheart Theme Park as Sovereign Base Areas..... whether they like it or not.
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

There's a lot of talk by the SNP but England has a lot of negotiating power. The Democratic Republic of Scotland are unlikely to want the British government to mandate RN ships will be built and supported in British yards, for example. Otherwise bye bye Rosyth dockyard and BAE Shipbuilding in Glasgow.
  5. If economics were the rationale for Scottish independence the Scots themselves would have already shot down the notion.
  6. Bouillabaisse

I'm not saying that Scottish independence is about economics - I agree that that is irrelevant to the debate. But once that debate is over and a new Scottish govt emerges then economics will become important. And then the horsetrading begins. It may seem like small beer, but Rosyth and Govan are major employers and support a lot of companies around them. They employ the sort of people who are unlikely to retrain into financial services or light industry in great numbers. And let's face it, if the first political party running independent Scotland oversees a major loss of jobs as a result of their policies in the first few years they're unlikely to get a second term.
  7. Queen Elizabeth talking about devolution - YouTube 0:12 HM goes out on a limb.

I had the chance to dine a couple of times with the QC counsel for the HoC Speaker. I'd like to hear his view on the constitutional basis for HM withholding Royal Assent on a Scottish Separation Act.
  8. Bouillabaisse

I'm not sure that a speech from 1977 is the basis for a constitutional crisis, or relevant to a discussion about nuclear submarine bases in Scotland
  9. Correct sir, I will drift back on topic.

I know this point has been raised on ARRSE via a passing comment but what would the maritime borders be between the two countries (either through precedent or maritime law)? Could RN vessels be prevented from entering the Atlantic as they sailed north through the Irish Sea (where Scotland sits opposite to the Republic of Ireland).
  10. The Russians have managed it with Ukraine
  11. Bouillabaisse

There's a right of "Innocent passage" in UN maritime law that allows naval vessels to transit through territorial waters as long as it is just passing through and no military activity (including training) is carried out. This allows, for example, the Irish Naval Service ships to go from the east to the west coast of Ireland around the north.
  12. I thought Scotland sat opposite Northern Ireland or I live in a different country and don't know it. Couldn't the ships just pass through the water of Northern Ireland still remaining in the UK or whatever the country would be called if Scotland gets up and fucks off out of the Union.
  13. They could do quite easily, but I am sure they will have no problem passing through Scottish waters. However, they may not be allowed to park up in Faslane.
  14. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The problem comes when there is a massive anti-nuclear demo ashore and afloat and we have no control over the civil power. I don't think the Govt/MoD has thought this through. Plus what tasks are performed, relating to nuclear weapons by locals at Coulport? (Rhetorical qn, I do understand OPSEC!)