Trident replacement to be announced.

Just the sub engine wasn't it? The rocket thingies are good till 2042 and we'd have to wait for the US anyway
The rocket thingies and missile compartment come from the yanks, but we have to start the long lead stuff to carry it all now.

Only one submarine is on patrol at any one time and it needs several days' notice to fire. Its warheads have been reduced to 48 and are no longer pre-targeted.

BBC News - Q&A: Trident replacement

In the age of asymmetric warfare, it's hardly a weapon of choice.
In an age of proliferation by mickey mouse countries, it ensures no one gets ideas above their station.

Only one submarine is on patrol at any one time and it needs several days' notice to fire. Its warheads have been reduced to 48 and are no longer pre-targeted.

the CND lot (of whom, many lab/lib politicians were members) don't give up on their unilateral stance do they? 30+ years ago they trotted out other reasons, now it's something else, you can see their agenda

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure where the 'several days notice to fire' comes from. Bit of Beebery I suspect.

I don't think that is true. However, the opinion of the JIC is and has been (for as long as we've had deployable nuclear weapons) that the likelihood of a 'bolt from the blue' attack requiring an instantaneous response is extremely low. Certainly this was true until as recent as the 1970s and it is probably still the case now. The expectation is that there would be a prolonged breakdown of international relations preceding any nuclear dispute.

I note that the BBC article doesn't take a neutral stance on the matter! Bunch of CND cranks that authored that Q&A no doubt.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
My house is fifty years old and hasn't caught fire yet .. but I still insure it.

Why do we need new ones? Have we run out of stock?

Now I could be wrong but I was under the impression the trident boat captains had authority to fire if contact was lost with the UK, considering we are a small nation and it would be easy enough to level the country.

Now I could be wrong but I was under the impression the trident boat captains had authority to fire if contact was lost with the UK, considering we are a small nation and it would be easy enough to level the country.
I heard that he has a letter from the PM to be opened "in extremis" which details procedure on whether or not to fire in the event the UK is destroyed

SSDD.

The only thing that Trident/Future Trident/Photon Torpedoes/World's Bestest Bang Things have to do with the military is that they crew/operate them (goodthing) and pay for them (bad thing).

They're not really weapons but, in a curious (and slightly insane) paradox, in order for them remain "not weapons" they have to be very, very effective indeed at doing a weapon's job.

In what appears to be becoming a mantra of mine, sadly, the nuke boat force, the Household Division & the Red Arrows are the only 100% safe defence assets in their respecive services.