Trident replacement to be announced.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Jun 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just the sub engine wasn't it? The rocket thingies are good till 2042 and we'd have to wait for the US anyway
  2. The rocket thingies and missile compartment come from the yanks, but we have to start the long lead stuff to carry it all now.
  3. Only one submarine is on patrol at any one time and it needs several days' notice to fire. Its warheads have been reduced to 48 and are no longer pre-targeted.

BBC News - Q&A: Trident replacement

In the age of asymmetric warfare, it's hardly a weapon of choice.
  4. In an age of proliferation by mickey mouse countries, it ensures no one gets ideas above their station.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. the CND lot (of whom, many lab/lib politicians were members) don't give up on their unilateral stance do they? 30+ years ago they trotted out other reasons, now it's something else, you can see their agenda
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Not sure where the 'several days notice to fire' comes from. Bit of Beebery I suspect.
  7. Probably from the same source that claims there are no ships on hand to defend UK home waters.
  8. Interesting timing though, guaranteed to wind up the Limp Dems after Huntgate.
  9. The Fire Control Centre was outsourced to Mumbai.They only accept written requests.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. In Punjabi, not Hindi, Punjabi...
  11. I don't think that is true. However, the opinion of the JIC is and has been (for as long as we've had deployable nuclear weapons) that the likelihood of a 'bolt from the blue' attack requiring an instantaneous response is extremely low. Certainly this was true until as recent as the 1970s and it is probably still the case now. The expectation is that there would be a prolonged breakdown of international relations preceding any nuclear dispute.

I note that the BBC article doesn't take a neutral stance on the matter! Bunch of CND cranks that authored that Q&A no doubt.
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

My house is fifty years old and hasn't caught fire yet .. but I still insure it.
  13. Do you have thermo nuclear devices in your cellar?
  14. Why do we need new ones? Have we run out of stock?