Votes: 70 63.6%
  • Yes to scrap both

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Keep both

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters

DAS

Old-Salt
How can building a railway cost so much?

Beeching has a lot to answer for.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
HS1 Good for business at the moment so Yes HS2 going to get better, HS3 & I can retire.

.... and its like the boost in confidence to the entire country that Concorde and QEII gave
Time to get out the Imperial pink to 'correct' recent maps, and rehearse 'Rule Britannia'.

I`m all for opening up the North but more local investment would be better I`m sure , HS2 will never recover its costs , (TGV Paris to Marseille ) and its not like you can`t get from Manchester to London in reasonable time anyway , plus with excellent video conferencing many meetings can be done on line, spend the money on attracting big manufactures and training local people in relevant trades.

All HS2 will do is to create a few new commuter towns for London...
True that a lot of this is to increase capacity on in the SOuth east, but the south east is the only area working close to capacity.....they’ve nowhere else to go.

Ever wondered why HS2 is called HS2. The clue is in the name. It’s a follow on from HS1.

Call me old fashioned but I’d like the ability to catch the train to the continent without having to change at london. Not only is getting into London a pain in the arrse, it’s full of people I’d rather have as limited interaction with them as possible.

HS1 has its neigh sayers, as did computerisation, containerisation, the jet engine, the railways and canals.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
All Hs2 will do is further concentrate the economy in the South East, The money would be far better spend regenerating Northern cities and maybe a new line linking Liverpool and Hu;; to actually add some substance to the 'Northern Powerhouse'. I live near Warwick and can presently be in Euston within 55 mins of getting on the train. There is absolutely no value in knocking 5 or 10 mins off that journey time.

Much of the business case is built on the notion that travel time is wasted time, that concept is completely invalidated by modern comms and the ability to work productively whilst in transit.

Actingunpaid

Clanker
HS2 is NFG without a bigger or second runway at Birmingham.(If you join up transport policy with common sense that is!)Heathrow can then remain as it is.Be quicker to get into central London from Brum.

All Hs2 will do is further concentrate the economy in the South East, The money would be far better spend regenerating Northern cities and maybe a new line linking Liverpool and Hu;; to actually add some substance to the 'Northern Powerhouse'. I live near Warwick and can presently be in Euston within 55 mins of getting on the train. There is absolutely no value in knocking 5 or 10 mins off that journey time.

Much of the business case is built on the notion that travel time is wasted time, that concept is completely invalidated by modern comms and the ability to work productively whilst in transit.
What about those who live further north than Warwick?

The country is reasonably well served by north-south lines. What it needs are more east-west lines
And roads, especially in the far South. Dover to Eastbourne, Brighton, Worthing, Chichester. Southampton to Ringwood, Dorchester, Axminster, Exeter.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Good point, I can see an argument for HS2 if it goes on beyond Birmingham, it will then join the North to the Midlands, and that is more valuable to my mind than joining the Midlands to the South. However I have a sneaking feeling that the costs will continue to rise, and that the northern half of the project (the more valuable half) will get shelved for economy reasons and we will be left with just the southern half.

And roads, especially in the far South. Dover to Eastbourne, Brighton, Worthing, Chichester. Southampton to Ringwood, Dorchester, Axminster, Exeter.
yup, it’s quicker to go from Portsmouth to Dover via the M25 than attempt the 16 day direct camel ride along the coast

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
one of the benefits of the railway is the amount of employment it gives people and hopefulyl as used to be the case construction workers spread their money around like a sailor on shore leave . So it might just help the economy a bit ??

Tool

LE
I'm all for HS2 - if for no other reason than it is another stretch of high-speed line, even if it is no faster than contemporary lines. It's a boost to the railways, an invigoration of Victorian-era structure. As more line is added, the east/west ditochomy will be sorted, but not in my lifetime I fear. It's not just the midlands that suffers with east/west rail issues.

Trident shouldn't even be up for discussion.

As much as BoJo might witter on about how good it will be for the country, one needs to bear in mind that when it finally comes in X times over budget, he'll be long gone. So anything he says now is utterly worthless. Not that a politician, (particularly a chancer like the current PM), would only look at the short term of course, perish the thought.

Can't help but think that £100Bn would be far better spent as discrete schemes improving regional transport, not a railway that will make it easier to get to the smoke.

Currently "The average journey time between Newcastle and London is 3 hours 33 minutes . On an average weekday, there are 61 trains travelling from Newcastle to London." so spending £100bn to take 30-40 minutes off that time will turn the North into the world leading commercial zone .......hey wait a minute.

has anyone suggested mounting Trident on HS2 yet? I can't be bothered to read the whole thread.

Latest Threads