Votes: 70 63.6%
  • Yes to scrap both

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Keep both

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters

MrDave

War Hero
I've only voted Conservative once in my life and that was to stop michael foot getting rid of our nukes. I think nukes were there to protect our way of life. However if your way of life is going to a foodbank or doing a zero hour contract job then I don't think that is worth protecting and these people would be better off if Russia or China invaded!. For what I can see our nukes only protect the rich as well as giving billions to the US defense industry. More so why should we pay for nukes when most Nato countries don't? I would rather have every Nato member except the US pay an equel amount for nukes that can be rotated from one Nato country to another not unlike what already happens except this would involve sharing trident subs with mixed nation crews. The UK paying solely for trident when we need the money for other things is a non starter in my book. As for HS2 we will never see the benefit here in Newcastle so scrap it!

D

Deleted 24582

I've only voted Conservative once in my life and that was to stop michael foot getting rid of our nukes. I think nukes were there to protect our way of life. However if your way of life is going to a foodbank or doing a zero hour contract job then I don't think that is worth protecting and these people would be better off if Russia or China invaded!. For what I can see our nukes only protect the rich as well as giving billions to the US defense industry. More so why should we pay for nukes when most Nato countries don't? I would rather have every Nato member except the US pay an equel amount for nukes that can be rotated from one Nato country to another not unlike what already happens except this would involve sharing trident subs with mixed nation crews. The UK paying solely for trident when we need the money for other things is a non starter in my book. As for HS2 we will never see the benefit here in Newcastle so scrap it!
I think you would lose Trident if you had multi national crews on your boats, with access to the missiles.

Yokel

LE
I think you would lose Trident if you had multi national crews on your boats, with access to the missiles.
Yes. It would not be in line with the Polaris Sales Agreement (updated for Trident). The idea for warships with multinational crews, including ones with Polaris, was suggested (by the US) in the sixties but quickly judged to be unworkable.

No problem as according to the tin foil hat brigade we couldn’t fire the missiles without US permission anyway.

D

Deleted 24582

Yes. It would not be in line with the Polaris Sales Agreement (updated for Trident). The idea for warships with multinational crews, including ones with Polaris, was suggested (by the US) in the sixties but quickly judged to be unworkable.
I don't think I would trust a boat crewed by Turks....or allowing them control to any sort of nuclear weapon..

Somehow I don't think it works quite like that...
In the event of a retaliatory strike please dial the following number.
Brr brr brr brr. <Click>. Welcome to the Pentagon nuclear strike helpline. Please select the service you require from the following options ...
1. Trident maintenance
2. Targeting information
3. Retaliatory nuclear strike release permission
<Beep> You have selected option 3. All our operators are busy at the moment. Please stay on the line until one of our operators is available. There is currently a 4 minute waiting time. Your call is important to us...
(Music)
‘Here's a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry, be happy’

Last edited:
D

Deleted 24582

Brr brr brr brr. <Click>. Welcome to the Pentagon nuclear strike helpline. Please select the service you require from the following options ...
1. Trident maintenance
2. Targeting information
<Beep> You have selected option 3. All our operators are busy at the moment. Please stay on the line until one of our operators is available. There is currently a 4 minute waiting time. Your call is important to us...
(Music)
Don't worry, be happy’
Well at least the crew would get a chance for a Cuppa, and maybe a Snickers Bar!!

1. Trident maintenance
2. Targeting information
(Music)
Don't worry, be happy’
You forgot to add, "for all other options, please press 4."

Regards HS2, the money would be better spent reopening the Beeching lines and focusing rail development on local/regional travel and freight transport rather than high speed intercity travel.

whole new series of local distribution depots with bulk transport done by rail, for last leg delivery by (green) vans (& cargo bikes in urban areas)
Just catching up, but it seems to have worked quite well with the line from Edinburgh out to Tweedbank. It maks it alot easier for commuters going into Edinburgh. Pity it couldn't go any further but the old track bed has been redeveloped.

More seriously, if they bin HS2 the Brie Louise, a pub near Euston, could re open; the sacreligious, twenty-minutes-quicker-to-Birmingham-like-anyone's-in-a-*******-hurry-to-get-to-Brum bastards.
Unfortunately not anymore, the Brie has been completely flattened. It's gone. A great shame for the couple that ran it. They are still being fucked about by CBRE to get the rest of the money that they are owed. The CPO process is a disgrace.

Unfortunately not anymore, the Brie has been completely flattened. It's gone. A great shame for the couple that ran it. They are still being fucked about by CBRE to get the rest of the money that they are owed. The CPO process is a disgrace.
Didn't know that, sounds terrible. Link?

A similar idea was discussed a few years ago, and concluded it's a stupid idea.
Currently manufacturers load a truck at their factory, which takes the goods directly to a regional depot or to the customer.
Moving that freight onto rail would require a truck at each end of the rail journey, along with relative handling equipment, storage, manpower etc. Add that your goods could be shunted into a siding anywhere on the rail network and " mislaid" or nicked, and the economic argument fails.

Airship drones.

Standby for more political fallout. A good distraction from discussing Brexit detail when parliament resumes.

'Parliament was “seriously misled” over the costs of HS2, which would be poor value for money and bad for the environment, according to the deputy chairman of the project’s review panel.

'Former Labour transport spokesman Lord Berkeley has written a hard-hitting 70-page dissenting report into the high speed rail proposal, listing several grave concerns. Chief among them is the blow-out of estimated costs. The network was initially expected to cost £50.1 billion. Latest estimates by HS2 Ltd – the private company in charge of the project – put the price at £88 billion. But Lord Berkeley says independent analysis arrives at a figure of at least £107.92 billion. “I believe that Parliament has been seriously misled by the failure of HS2 Ltd and by ministers to report objectively and fairly on costs and programme changes,” Lord Berkeley wrote in his report.'

Standby for more political fallout. A good distraction from discussing Brexit detail when parliament resumes.

'Parliament was “seriously misled” over the costs of HS2, which would be poor value for money and bad for the environment, according to the deputy chairman of the project’s review panel.

'Former Labour transport spokesman Lord Berkeley has written a hard-hitting 70-page dissenting report into the high speed rail proposal, listing several grave concerns. Chief among them is the blow-out of estimated costs. The network was initially expected to cost £50.1 billion. Latest estimates by HS2 Ltd – the private company in charge of the project – put the price at £88 billion. But Lord Berkeley says independent analysis arrives at a figure of at least £107.92 billion. “I believe that Parliament has been seriously misled by the failure of HS2 Ltd and by ministers to report objectively and fairly on costs and programme changes,” Lord Berkeley wrote in his report.'

Interesting. The engineering is going well, if the project is pulled it's going to be because of cost.

HS2: Government to give high-speed rail line the go-ahead Government to give High Speed 2 the go-ahead

This is an absolute fiasco of a project, as I’ve posted before my laboratory won’t take in any work from it and we aren’t the only ones by any stretch of the imagination, no one knows what the other is doing on the various sites and it just isn’t worth the hassle

Is HS2 worth it?

Yes, absolutely,

and its like the boost in confidence to the entire country that Concorde and QEII gave

endure

GCM
All HS2 will do is to create a few new commuter towns for London...

Latest Threads