Tricky Questions at Main Board

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Exwing, Nov 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,

I've been having a serious think about the answers to the interview questions they ask you, such as "What does serve to lead mean to you?" etc. Clearly these answers are very subjective, so I would like to talk about other questions they may ask.

Does any one know what sort of questions there are?

I've heard they ask you about Current Military regiments & technology, some current world leaders and key ministers in Parliament. Is there any truth from this?

And to take note from A Junior Officers Reading Club; a MILAN isn't a city in northern Italy (well it is, but it's also a wire guided anti tank missile[i think])

Answer away!
  2. How about something like:

"So, Mr Exwing (or Black 49 or whatever your number is), how on earth do you think the Army was able to select Officers in olden days when candidates were not able to ask repeatedly on the internet what they should do at RCB?"

FFS it's a test of potential. If you need to be told by anonymous posters on the internet how to think & what the questions are I would suggest that that potential might be lacking!
  3. It would be interesting to know what % of candidates at AOSB have read any of the ARRSE forums.
  4. When I went through I was one of 2 who read Arrse.
  5. You asked all the other candidates?
  6. Nope another candidate asked everyone else.
  7. I got asked what sport the Ryder Cup was... I reckon all you need is to read the Sun. That'll get you through, just you see.
  8. My question wasn't specific CaptainPlume, it was asking what 'sort' of questions we should be expecting. Questions like "What sport is the Ryder Cup?" are a bit easier than "Who is the Defence Secretary of the USA?" or "What regiments merged to become the QRL?".

The Ryder Cup is horse riding right? :D
  9. Don't be so stupid, its water polo!!
  10. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Tricky as in Explain how you would command a Plt of men who have 5 months in threatre loads of battle experience and your the replacement for the plt comd they have just lost.
  11. What the hell would be the answer to that?

Through prayer for divine intervention/by listening very closely to your platoon sergeant?

Surely they cannot ask questions of you at main board where the response can only be that there are circumstances in which you may find yourself, when it is clear that (through no fault of your own) you are NOT fit to lead those under your command and you would do well to go along with it as best you can and trying not to f*ck anything up.

That would be my answer anyway.
  12. I got asked about the Afghanistan problem and whether I had a solution to it, so I told the chap straight up "nuke the f-kers"and I passed.

Adopt the same warry attitude and I'm sure you'll be fine.
  13. When I went through,there was no Internet or Arrse.The most asked question was 'what will you do if you fail this?'
  14. Trick question, eh? They have a Secretary of Defense, not a Defence Secretary.
  15. Despite my stupid thread, I managed to pass my Main Board! I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's given me advice, although now I truly understand the best advice of them all. Be yourself. You really can't play for the Board, but you can prepare.

Brilliant...see some of you in May!