Tributes paid to Glen Mansell late BFBS presenter

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by hackle, Oct 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am very sorry to hear of the passing of BFBS radio presenter and manager Glen Mansell after a long battle with cancer.

While Glen certainly got his share of slagging-off as well as affection on ARRSE, the mere fact that he was mentioned so often, while he was active on BFBS, suggests the impact which he had on forces broadcasting in Germany, the Balkans and Gulf 1990-91. Latterly he had been managing BFBS in the Falklands.

Source: Tributes paid to BFBS host Glen Mansell : Radio Today with RCS
  2. From BFBS themselves: BFBS presenter loses cancer fight | British Forces News

An ex-serviceman imself, Glen notably did a great deal to help publicise the ARRSE-led service voting campaign in 2005. In the true spirit of ARRSE, he brilliantly distinguished himself by having to apologise to a Labour Government minister after one of those programmes.

I had the privilege of being interviewed a number of times on the Glen Mansell Show which he used to run from, I think, Herford.

3. I hate to start on a negative, but I didn't like his work at all. Having to listen to his 'Calling the Balkans' programme every Sunday whilst on tour would have me looking around for a decent belt and a strong oak beam to swing from.

Apart from that he was a genuine bloke, and less uncomfortable to talk to off-air than many presenters. Rest in peace Glen.
  4. Shame. 56? No bloody age at all.
  5. Quality presenter and from what I can recall his Calling the Balkans was a 'must listen' to show by the wives back in Germany when I was in Bosnia.

I also have memories of his shows in Germany in the late 80s. One that sticks in the memory was a young wife pouring her heart out about being lonely stuck in a high rise in the middle of Germany and the sensitive way in which he dealt with it.

Always willing to stop and chat at the RASS and not up his own arrse like some, quality guy and a great servant to the British Forces community, he will be a sad loss to BFBS.
    • Like Like x 1