Tribal Violence in PNG

Things turning nasty in Papua New Guinea at the moment. They must have been disturbed into making a quick getaway though, otherwise the bodies would have probably ended up in the village cooking pot or, given the 'chopped to pieces' and discrepancy in numbers, maybe they did!

'At least 16 women and children have been killed in brutal tribal violence in Papua New Guinea. Philip Pimua, a worker from the Department of Health who posted photographs to Facebook, said some of the people were ”chopped into pieces and hard to recognize their body parts”. He told the ABC he believed eight of those killed were aged between one and 15, and that two of the women were pregnant.

'The death toll and dates of the violence in the remote highland province of Hela varied in reports by ABC and the Post-Courier newspaper. Hela Governor Philip Undialu told ABC the latest violence was on Monday when 16 people including pregnant women and children died at the village of Karida. The killings were probably retaliation for an earlier attack that left about seven dead, Mr Undialu said.'

Women, children ‘chopped into pieces’

I was watching a documentary not too long ago and this guy embedded with a remote tribe. The guys there were tooled up not only with spears, machetes and bows, but an assortment of firearms. I even saw a SLR.

Given that even setting a foot in the wrong territory can set off these conflicts, I don't think the idea of recruiting an extra 100 police officers will help in the slightest.

Not exactly uncommon up there as it has been going on for decades.

Living in Port Moresby during the seventies when Papua played New Guinea in rugby league. Cannot remember who lost but it took three days to settle down after the riot that ensued. A good excuse not to go to school.

crustyrusty

On ROPS
On ROPs
Send in "Them" to quash the rebels or Dianne Abbott if she knows where it is?

Living in Port Moresby during the seventies when Papua played New Guinea in rugby league. Cannot remember who lost but it took three days to settle down after the riot that ensued. A good excuse not to go to school.
Forgive me if my geography is a bit lacking, how did Papua play New Guinea? Was the match between Indonesian Papua and PNG?

Forgive me if my geography is a bit lacking, how did Papua play New Guinea? Was the match between Indonesian Papua and PNG?
New Guinea had a team and Papua had a team. Pre-Independance days so before 1975. Indonesian West Papua was the other half of the Island.

It was probably still known as Territory of Papua & New Guinea in those days. Nowadays just PNG.

Used to work with an Australian lady many years ago who’d been a stewardess up in the highlands

She said her job was to ensure seperation of unfriendly factions who could be identified by their styles of arse grass, and collect up all spears, bows and shives as the locals boarded
Take off speech wasn’t about crashing, it was something along the line of ‘listen you, sit quite, Make mischief, heap big fella fly plane come bang stick shoot you!

Used to work with an Australian lady many years ago who’d been a stewardess up in the highlands

She said her job was to ensure seperation of unfriendly factions who could be identified by their styles of arse grass, and collect up all spears, bows and shives as the locals boarded
Take off speech wasn’t about crashing, it was something along the line of ‘listen you, sit quite, Make mischief, heap big fella fly plane come bang stick shoot you!
Wouldn't be too far off the mark.

So long pig is back on the menu, and still a thing then

Some more reporting, and a lot of opinion, on the incident. Apparently all down to capitalism and white exploitation, with some apparent justification. I'd completely forgotten the scale of the violence in Bougainville 20 years ago.

'PNG experts news.com.au has spoken to have said it’s too early to tell if the new Mt Kare mine and the massacre are connected. Violent disputes can be for many reasons. The mine’s owner Indochine has said that linking the site to the tragic incident is nothing more than “speculation”. A plausible alternative explanation is the slaughter was a tit-for-tat action for other recent killings. But land rights, including over mines, have turned violent in the past. During the 1990s, more than 20,000 people died in PNG’s Bougainville province, largely over who would benefit from an enormous mine.

'The population of PNG’s Highlands were completely unknown until the 1930s when Australian patrols stumbled across a people who, essentially, were no more progressed than the “Stone Age”, said Mr Main. The modern age has arrived with speed: mobile phones now sit alongside age old beliefs in sorcery. It’s a place where rivalries run as deep as superstitions, all unencumbered by the usual trappings of the nation state, like police, who are rarely seen. But in times past there was a framework around violence. “Most people would not have been involved in fighting and it would have been bows and arrows facing off,” “There is no longer the strong tradition of dispute resolutions through dialogue. Guns have changed the power dynamics,” he said.'

Brutal reason behind bloody murder on idyllic paradise island

I'm doing some work on Air Traffic Control in Indonesia at the moment (flying to Jakarta in an hours time). Wanted to go to Papua but the government couldn't guarantee our safety. They want to build more airports, which will give the locals more access. However they cannot staff them because of the hostility to 'outsiders'. One plan is to get locals, take them to the colleges and train them, then send them back. Unfortunately their education is very poor so its very hard to find anyone suitable.