Triathlon: Ready, Steady, Change Shoes!

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Sarastro, Apr 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Lo all,

Doing my first tri on the 6th May. Sprint distance, so:

750m Swim
    12.4 mile Bike
    3.2 mile Run

Got onto it two days ago so haven't actually had time to train (though been training for P-Coy in June, so not in terrible shape), and not exactly looking to compete. Also, haven't swum properly for about 6 months, though I used to be quite decent, so should just manage to warm the muscles up by the day of the race, but not hammer the speed.

Estimated times based on a quick tester or two, so you know roughly what level I'm at; 12min swim, 35min bike, 23 min run. It's a nationwide university championships, so I'll be seeing the back of some pretty decent competitors.

Wondering if anyone here with any experience in tris has any wisdom they can impart? Race tactics to minimise my time, bricks, and such? Also, since I won't be using a wetsuit, wondering whether it's worth getting a swim & run/bike top like this one here, and if they work well or create drag?

2. Wack a couple of fingers' worth of vaseline under the nose of your saddle - then you can reach it, and apply it, when your wet swimmers begin to chafe a little during the ride.

Bricks are a night-mare but better that than cramp in both quads at the same time on the day - ouch.

Good luck.

3. I compete in various endurance events including Ironman contests. I always wear one of these:-

[​IMG]

You'll also find it very useful should you pass P Coy.

4. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Aye, already been issued those Fez. Not quite as gucci as that one obviously, being army kit, QM just gave us some dental floss and a pot of lime green paint to dunk it in.

Standard dress for surprise attacks so I believe, bloody works too! ;-)

5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Those are very respectable split times (top 25% finish at London Tri for example). I assume that you are doing a pool swim if you are not using a wet suit (for open water the suit is usually compulsory).

A tri suit is worth getting to save time on transition. If you haven't trained specifically for the event, then my advice is not to go hard on the swim (you don't gain much time for a lot of energy expended!), work on the bike, and then survive the run - if you are training for P Coy your running fitness should be good.

Before the event, think through what you are going to do on the transitions, and practice (elastic laces in shoes for example). On the day, walk through the transition route in/out. 60 seconds lost because you can't find you bike rack is a lot to make up in physical expenditure on the course.

Are you doing Blenheim and/or London?