Trials pre 1980's Para smock , Newey Swift new unissued

par avion

War Hero
IIRC, the mcGuffin on which the plot is based is that (a) Steiner indeed received his Eisenerkreuz whereas (b) His Kompaniefuehrer (recently appointed, by nature a spineless, ambitious and deceitful desk-jockey) has not, and covets one fiercely whilst perpetually overcome by Olympic-standard envy directed at the fine, upstanding, seasoned NCO that is Steiner. Whom he ultimately betrays - along with most, if not all, of his closest comrades.
Apparently according to Wiki Willi Henrich loosly based him on Johan Scwerdfeger as they were in the same Division.

Scwerdfeger appears to be absolutly nails. Won the Knights Cross as a Feldwebel in 1943 and the Oak Leaves a year later in 1944.

Born in 1914. Died in 2015 aged 101.

There can't have been many NCOs who were awarded both the Knights Cross and Oak Leaves.

Wern't they formed originaly by a Royal Marine Officer, and Survival Aids by a Royal Signals officer?
As far as I know Arktis was kicked off by an ex-RM bloke who kicked it off making the chest webbing.

Survival aids was always touted as having been set up by a bloke who had been an officer with THEM.

Yes, kept on the inside. One of the first things to be cut off when cutting out the lining so that it wasn’t so heavy and would dry out faster :)
. . . and save a lot in manufacturing costs :( .

ugly

LE
Artkis also involved my former English teacher from secondary school who was into expeds in a big way! The first product developed was a map case I seem to recall
Then again I could be talking pish

Last edited:
Use the poppers to fasten it under the arms and jobs a good ‘un.
I saw others (Germans? Dutch?), wear the(ir) poncho, with a belt around the waist, which at least looked a lot better, and (I presume) made them more serviceable/useful?!

I saw others (Germans? Dutch?), wear the(ir) poncho, with a belt around the waist, which at least looked a lot better, and (I presume) made them more serviceable/useful?!
I’ve seen Brits where it as I’ve described, with their webbing over the top.

par avion

War Hero
And the Fallschirmjaeger boots laced up the side of the foot and ankle, rather in the manner of Bavarian Trachtenschuhe.
The early versions did. After Crete they developed the front lacing version. Fore-runner of the modern combat boot - BCH style.

par avion

War Hero
I'd lay money they were in ammo boots and anklets like everyone else, by late 1944 :-D
And standard luftwaffe issue helmets and smock. Many of the personnel having never jumped or being trained to jump. Just transfered from Luftwaffe ground crew. One such Division fought an American Armoured Division to a stand still in 1945 however.

Survival Aids? From memory @Condottiere worked there. Maybe he can add something.
I worked for a while at their Euston Station shop a very long time ago. If memory serves me well, the original firm was set up by two former army officers and had its head office and warehouse in Morland near Penrith.

The company was a good employer providing staff with relevant outdoor courses and adventure training opportunities. I particularly remember a great weekend which involved bridge jumping off a disused railway viaduct in the Lake District.

It was also dedicated to serving it’s military and expedition customer base as well as it could, with an excellent returns policy and always looking for product feedback.
Staff had a decent discount and I still have some of the kit that I bought over thirty years ago. In fact I wore the green ventile smock yesterday walking the dog.

If I was correctly informed, after I left, it was bought by an asset stripper who extracted the maximum amount he could out of the company and allowed it to go bankrupt.

Latest Threads