Trials pre 1980's Para smock , Newey Swift new unissued

The original wartime smocks didn't have cuffs and had a half zip and had to be pulled over the head. Maybe that's why they were called smocks. Soliders used to cut the ends of socks off and sow them onto the ends of the smock to make them more wind proof.

Post war they were fitted with full lengh zips as standard and wollen cuffs were fitted with in the 1959 version.

TamH70

MIA
I never really bought into the cult of the Para smock, good as they may have appeared. I was, however, deeply in lust with the Windproof Smock that I saw guys from what some in 8 Sigs called at the time "26Blah", or 264 Signals Squadron, were wearing when they were cutting around camp. That looked warry as **** to a twenty-one-year-old me.

I never really bought into the cult of the Para smock, good as they may have appeared. I was, however, deeply in lust with the Windproof Smock that I saw guys from what some in 8 Sigs called at the time "26Blah", or 264 Signals Squadron, were wearing when they were cutting around camp. That looked warry as **** to a twenty-one-year-old me.
What year was this ? DPM Para smocks were no where near as alley as Dennison smocks pre 1977.

I never really bought into the cult of the Para smock, good as they may have appeared. I was, however, deeply in lust with the Windproof Smock
What year was this ? DPM Para smocks were no where near as alley as Dennison smocks pre 1977.
I believe that the Windproof Smock that @TamH70 refers was fashioned from the Windproof Smocks that were issued on Op Corporate and came on the scene around mid to late 80's.

Really light compared to a Para Smock, and dried out in minutes.

I believe that the Windproof Smock that @TamH70 refers was fashioned from the Windproof Smocks that were issued on Op Corporate and came on the scene around mid to late 80's.

They were the Artic smocks which came in, in 1977 with the wired hoods. Replaced the green versions which originated in the Korean version. There were earlier versions designed for the 52nd Lowland division in 1942 together with the original A frame Bergan and wolly pully. Original in olive green with matching trousers the most common version was the camouflaged version often wrongly called SAS windproofs. They were also produced in Khaki and white.

They were over garments and were seen post war in Korea and Kenya, and soldiered on into the seventies until everything went DPM in 1977 when the Dennison smock became the DPM Para smock and O.Gs became Tropical DPM combats. The SBS wore them into seventies and I think the original version was worn by the Royal Marines Boom Patrol on operation Frankton. (Cockershell Heroes)

TamH70

MIA
They were the Artic smocks which came in, in 1977 with the wired hoods. Replaced the green versions which originated in the Korean version. There were earlier versions designed for the 52nd Lowland division in 1942 together with the original A frame Bergan and wolly pully. Original in olive green with matching trousers the most common version was the camouflaged version often wrongly called SAS windproofs. They were also produced in Khaki and white.

They were over garments and were seen post war in Korea and Kenya, and soldiered on into the seventies until everything went DPM in 1977 when the Dennison smock became the DPM Para smock and O.Gs became Tropical DPM combats. The SBS wore them into seventies and I think the original version was worn by the Royal Marines Boom Patrol on operation Frankton. (Cockershell Heroes)

I think you're both right about that. It was in '91 when I encountered the 264 Squadron blokes with the smocks and developed a severe case of green-eyed monster at their possession of said articles of clothing.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Dear all ( especially @BugsyIV ),
Please remember that this is the QM's, where kit obsession is acceptable and normal - a bit like dungeons and dragons clubs. Please keep teasing/humour within polite limits. Thank you.

Smocks, clothing, for the wearing of ......... over other clothing to protect them from spills, dirt, the weather and an artist’s oil paint. With a lineage dating back to medieval times through straw sucking country yokels and fishermen.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The Naafi in Thiepval Bks, Lisburn about October 1973. In walked two soldiers from 3 Para wearing Dennison smocks, belt kit, and THAT rifle. They looked massive, like Charles Atlas with huge shoulders and chest tapering down to a small waist.

I was impressed. These Paras really are super duper sky- gods like they tell everyone, I thought.

Then they put there rifles on a table, took their belt kit off, unzipped and removed their dennison smocks revealing the old surplus vietnam era flak jackets. When they took these off and went to get a cup of tea, all that was left were two skinny ordinary looking blokes.

For some reason 1 Para and 3 Para wore their smocks over their flak jackets, but when 2 Para arrived for a tour of West Belfast wore the flak jacket over the smock. Maybe the rules had changed.

I always thought that the Dennison Smock was one of the most allyest items invented by the British Army.
The reason Guardsmen used to be tall and then have bloody great bearskins stuck on top was to intimidate. Same with the flak jackets under the smock - ‘F*ck, those guys are huge!’

Latest Threads