Trials pre 1980's Para smock , Newey Swift new unissued

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Artois also involved my former English teacher from secondary school who was into expeds in a big way! The first product developed was a map case I seem to recall
Then again I could be talking pish
I've been heavily involved in Artois too.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Apparently according to Wiki Willi Henrich loosly based him on Johan Scwerdfeger as they were in the same Division.

Scwerdfeger appears to be absolutly nails. Won the Knights Cross as a Feldwebel in 1943 and the Oak Leaves a year later in 1944.

Born in 1914. Died in 2015 aged 101.

There can't have been many NCOs who were awarded both the Knights Cross and Oak Leaves.
Useful bloke - Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves, platoon commander and never got past Feldwebel (note spelling): Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Useful bloke - Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves, platoon commander and never got past Feldwebel (note spelling): Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Oddly that short biog skips over the bit of his wartime history where (having captured France) his Regiment moved to spend 1941 in the Crimea where they took a right pasting - hence his pen picture has him suddenly transferring from a BCR pool unit back to active duties.

Schließen Sie sich der Armee an und reisen Sie :thumleft:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Oddly that short biog skips over the bit of his wartime history where (having captured France) his Regiment moved to spend 1941 in the Crimea where they took a right pasting - hence his pen picture has him suddenly transferring from a BCR pool unit back to active duties.

Still got some impressive tin on him, though.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer

1580343274850.png

Pretty ally.

You could say the same about the guys in C Squadron, the Selous Scouts or the RLI.

Losing in the face of unbeatable odds doesn't reduce the soldiering prowess of the individual.
Mebbe not, but exercising said prowess in the cause of genocide takes the shine off it a bit, and there is absoutely no question about the extent to which das Heer was complicit in widespread atrocities as a matter of routine on the Eastern Front, from the moment they crossed the Op BARBAROSSA start line, so you'll have to bear with me and my less-than-fulsome admiration.

You could say the same about the guys in C Squadron, the Selous Scouts or the RLI.

Losing in the face of unbeatable odds doesn't reduce the soldiering prowess of the individual.
Being sold down the river and losing are not quite the same thing.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Mebbe not, but exercising said prowess in the cause of genocide takes the shine off it a bit, and there is absoutely no question about the extent to which das Heer was complicit in widespread atrocities as a matter of routine on the Eastern Front, from the moment they crossed the Op BARBAROSSA start line, so you'll have to bear with me and my less-than-fulsome admiration.
Oh, agreed. The airbrushing of the Heer's role is more than unpalatable. But, that's not to say that everyone was involved, or even involved enthusiastically.
Being sold down the river and losing are not quite the same thing.
And again.

(ETA: Although as far as an ex-RLI mate of mine sees it, it was still losing after putting up a hell of a fight.)

TamH70

MIA
What he said.

Though even my Grandma (two medals for resistance work in eastern Poland) stated that some individual German soldiers and officers were decent types.

Especially the one she got drunk and got him to stamp the identity papers of various persons as “not deportable” (for forced labour). Then later managed to convince that he was right in doing it and got more done.

Latest Threads