Trials pre 1980's Para smock , Newey Swift new unissued

Here is an example of a mint unworn unissued sample for the DPM para smock , made from P1960 deep dye cloth , Newey poppers and very early 1960's swift zipper not NZ as found on production samples. At some point it's had an FFD added using later cloth with deep print show through but Newey poppers and tighter cuffs.

A real one off.

h.jpg

0.jpg

9.jpg
i.jpg
8.jpg

TamH70

MIA
What's an FFD?
First Field Dressing. Given the size of the pocket, probably the old one that held a pint of blood. The newer ones, or at least they were new when I was wearing green baggy skin for a living, held a litre, or so I was told.

Why is it a smock? Has no hood

Then what differentiates a smock from a field jacket?
Para smocks have woolen cuffs - don’t know why - they also have a flap which can be drawn forward between the legs and fastened at the front. This flap is there to stop the smock riding up when a parachute is worn but to be honest I can’t remember if I used it every time I jumped. But I think that the main difference is that they’re cut very generously - when the smock first came into service it was worn over the webbing during parachute assaults and even in my day they were baggy enough to wear a standard flack jacket underneath when in NI.

Para smocks have woolen cuffs - don’t know why - they also have a flap which can be drawn forward between the legs and fastened at the front. This flap is there to stop the smock riding up when a parachute is worn but to be honest I can’t remember if I used it every time I jumped. But I think that the main difference is that they’re cut very generously - when the smock first came into service it was worn over the webbing during parachute assaults and even in my day they were baggy enough to wear a standard flack jacket underneath when in NI.
So basically, a smock is an oversized jacket?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The standard smock used to have a crutch strap, not just Para smocks.

I got crutch strap, and had to go to the Med Centre!

I think that's what it was anyway.

It was baggy so that you could get a shermully up each arm, 4 trip flares in the pockets, and 10 thunderflashes down the front and still declare you had nothing on you.

Never did figure out the point of that crutch strap.
Once you put the harness on, no amount of slipstream was going to move your clothing anywhere.

Never did figure out the point of that crutch strap.
Once you put the harness on, no amount of slipstream was going to move your clothing anywhere.
When it was designed by Captain Dennison back in 1942 it was more or less a direct copy of the German Falschirmjager jump smock which had press studs around the leg to hold the bottom of the smock when jumping in the second edition.

The old mark 2 para helmet was also pretty much a direct copy.

The tail flap and cuffs are more traditional now. To distinguish Paras from there hat brethen so to speak.

I am suprised that the para smock has survived into the MTP era, especialy with these cost conscious days.

The Naafi in Thiepval Bks, Lisburn about October 1973. In walked two soldiers from 3 Para wearing Dennison smocks, belt kit, and THAT rifle. They looked massive, like Charles Atlas with huge shoulders and chest tapering down to a small waist.

I was impressed. These Paras really are super duper sky- gods like they tell everyone, I thought.

Then they put there rifles on a table, took their belt kit off, unzipped and removed their dennison smocks revealing the old surplus vietnam era flak jackets. When they took these off and went to get a cup of tea, all that was left were two skinny ordinary looking blokes.

For some reason 1 Para and 3 Para wore their smocks over their flak jackets, but when 2 Para arrived for a tour of West Belfast wore the flak jacket over the smock. Maybe the rules had changed.

I always thought that the Dennison Smock was one of the most allyest items invented by the British Army.

Latest Threads