Triage Medical Failure, How Do I Best Go Forwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uart

Crow
In June of last year, I decided I would like to attempt to join the Army Reserves, unfortunately however I failed on medical grounds due to past Anxiety and Depression Issues. My depression lasted for two years and my anxiety had been quite high throughout my life, I won't lie, however after hitting a rather low point in my life I decided that I had to face up to my own problems and tackle them head-on, really start to sort myself out. My doctor has cleared me off all anxiety and depression mental health issues and I've been all-clear for a year now, I truly understand that having a year away from long term mental health issues isn't enough to warrant that I'm now cured but I have taken great steps and continue to take great steps in improving my mental health on a daily basis. I sent in an appeal to this decision with a medical note from my doctor and a personal statement from myself, however, my first appeal was rejected. My question to those who hopefully can help, what's the best step for me to go forward with the hope of still joining the army? I would like to send a second appeal, however, my doctor has stated to myself that he can offer no more than he already has with the terms of the letter as it was a thorough appeal and included all his notes regarding my mental health and the belief of himself that I have overcome my issues, obviously though his belief is not conclusive evidence. I have a few ideas in mind in order to strengthen my case in the second appeal as I see no reason in sending the same evidence again as I will receive the same answer. Is there any suggestions for what evidence I can collect to strengthen my case or any steps for me going forward? I have no desire at all to give up and if the best option for me to wait another year for two clear years from my mental health issues I'm more than willing to accept that and apply at a later date.

Try looking in the medical thread...

In June of last year, I decided I would like to attempt to join the Army Reserves, unfortunately however I failed on medical grounds due to past Anxiety and Depression Issues. My depression lasted for two years and my anxiety had been quite high throughout my life, I won't lie, however after hitting a rather low point in my life I decided that I had to face up to my own problems and tackle them head-on, really start to sort myself out. My doctor has cleared me off all anxiety and depression mental health issues and I've been all-clear for a year now, I truly understand that having a year away from long term mental health issues isn't enough to warrant that I'm now cured but I have taken great steps and continue to take great steps in improving my mental health on a daily basis. I sent in an appeal to this decision with a medical note from my doctor and a personal statement from myself, however, my first appeal was rejected. My question to those who hopefully can help, what's the best step for me to go forward with the hope of still joining the army? I would like to send a second appeal, however, my doctor has stated to myself that he can offer no more than he already has with the terms of the letter as it was a thorough appeal and included all his notes regarding my mental health and the belief of himself that I have overcome my issues, obviously though his belief is not conclusive evidence. I have a few ideas in mind in order to strengthen my case in the second appeal as I see no reason in sending the same evidence again as I will receive the same answer. Is there any suggestions for what evidence I can collect to strengthen my case or any steps for me going forward? I have no desire at all to give up and if the best option for me to wait another year for two clear years from my mental health issues I'm more than willing to accept that and apply at a later date.
I can't help with the specifics of your case as I don't have the appropriate expertise. I can give some guidance about "the system".

Points to note:
  1. The army is rigid and has set requirements beyond which it will not budge. Ironically these are even more "rules" than "guidance" since the private sector has become involved in the recruitment process.
  2. Research the policy. This will be set forth in a JSP or similar and will clearly set out your grounds for appeal and what may be considered appropriate. Although these probably shouldn't be public domain, they most likely are. Some kind soul may follow this post with exactly what documentation is relevant.
  3. If the policy clearly rules you out you will have to accept this - as gallling as it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.