Tri-Service Discipline

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by yellowbelly, Dec 3, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently arrived in a tri-Service unit where anyone charged (mainly Army) are done so under the RAF Act 1955. This goes back to when the unit first set up and there some tenuous links with a nearby RAF Station. I am trying to establish if this is right. Having asked around, I have heard of some units where everyone is charged under one of the Services' Acts, and others (particularly people coming back from Iraq) who have said that any individual is charged under his or her own Act, ie, Army Act 1955, RAF Act or Naval Discipline Act.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is correct, and where I can find out. Is it valid for a soldier to be charged under the RAF Act, or does it really matter? Cheers for any thoughts people have.

2. My sister was 2ic of a unit that was half army, half RAF; the RAF types were subject to RAF mil law, the Army to Army mil law.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I would have thought a decent defence could be built around the fact that a squaddie didn't join the RAF so is not subject to RAF law.

But that is just me. 8O

4. The phrase"being a person subject to military law"( Army,Navy,RAF,Dependent,Regimental Goat etc) comes to mind

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Ahhh the devil is in the detail. :? :lol:

6. There has been a recent DCI put out about it, if you are that fussed.

The basics, if I can remember, is that each service still work under their own acts, but the unit's orders should be based under the act of the senior officer.

If it was simple it would not be joint.

7. Cheers for the prompt respsonses. I agree with what the general opinion is, ie, if Army, why be charged under the RAF Act? What Green Slime says makes sense that it would be the Act of the Service of the CO which would appoint him as being able to deal with discipline procedures. The first CO here was light blue, but that seems to have been taken literally that everyone was charged under his Act. Thanks again, but if anyone does know of any publication, eg, DCI which I can throw at the, would be appreciated.

8. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

When a unit is established, it should be made a part of the instruction for its establishment under which of the three Service Discipline Acts it will operate. This is vital for chains of command in the J1 arena.

For Single Service units, the decision is not complicated, but in Tri-service units a decision must be made on establishment as to exactly which Act it operates under. Once the decision is made, any charges made to peresons on the Establishment of the unit will be under the relevant act regardless of the Service of the accused and regardless of the Service of the CO at the time.

I am aware of a Tri-service agency in which the headquarters operates under the Navy Act, a 1* subordinate headquarters operates under the Air Force Act and a subordinate unit operates under the Army Act.

In my unit, it doesn't matter what colour of cloth you wear - commit an offence and the charged will be under the Army Act 1955. The paperwork is submitted to PTS in PS2(A) for review and copied to the relevant Service Personnel Centre for information only.

Of course the TSDA will do away with this buggerr's muddle anyway.

IF

9. Do you mean the Terms of Service Discipline Act ! acronyms apart
    :wink:

10. Sorry. :oops: The Tri-Service Discipline Act.

IF