Tri-service Defence Training Academy: St Athan it is

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bits posted elsewhere but worthy of a new thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6268427.stm

Well, well, what a surprise. All those forces and civil service posts uprooted and dragged to Wales. And just in time to shout about for the Welsh elections. (see threads on Swiss Tony and his Webwank this PM)

All those properties and tracts of land now available for sale to boost the coffers. And all via yet another mega PFI so the cost sdo not show up at once.

Everybody wins! Apart from those condemned to occupy this tri-services dreamland handily located in, er, South Wales.

"Like any other attempts at reform in the military, attempts to save money are at the bottom of it.

"I'm still a bit doubtful as to what it will achieve. If they put it all together you're going to lose identity in terms of the three services,"

"What worries me about it is it's just going to be a desire to save money and the benefits are not going to be realised - but I would hope they are."

John Chisholm
    Editor, Naval Power International

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6268287.stm

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

St Athan, what a joy to get to. Three trains, camel and a hang glider.

3. Don't forget the £4.90 toll bridge fee as well!

4. I believe that the price has gone up, it over a fiver now (but free to get back!).

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Camels are free.

7. Its a one horse town - and the horse hoofed it years ago.

8. A blatantly political choice!

Anyone know of any ministers with shares in qinetiq or metrix? :frustrated:

9. It has a library.

Monday Closed Closed
    Tuesday 9.30 to 12.30
    Wednesday Closed Closed
    Thursday 14.00 to 18.00
    Friday Closed Closed
    Saturday 9.30 to 12.30

Woo hoo

10. It is all part of the Liarbour party's policy to get the military as far away from London as possible. Tonee knows that HMF would happily have an ND with the co-ax in his general direction, so he wants a couple of hours breathing space for when the coup is launched: gives him enough time to get to heathrow and be out of UK airspace by the time the tanks roll up the Mall :(

11. Unfortunately most of these 'big' procurement decisions are usually 'political'.The lot of the unfortunate serviceman is to have political decisions 'thrust' upon him/her.

12. Metrix is a consortium. Cast your eyes over the list of members and possible someone has an interest somewhere. If so, any possible conflicts all properly declared, no doubt. :shock:

http://www.metrixuk.com/

(You have to work quite hard to get to the page!

-> About us

->More information

->The bidding consortia

-> The Bidding Consortia .pdf)

However, given the length of that list and the sheer size of the project and the tensions within it, a lot of people think that the danger of this turning into another expensive PFI fiasco to no good long term effect must be high.

13. From Wikipedia:

That should keep everyone entertained!

14. Still better than Blandford...

15. FFS - it's only 15 mins from Cardiff, 5 mins from the airport and you can be on the M4 by the time it takes your car to warm up.
    What's more you have all the beaches of the Gower just to the West, some craking hills to the North and filthy slappers to service your every needs all around you.
    Give me South Wales over congested, rude, expensive South East of England anyday.