Tri-service Defence Training Academy: St Athan it is

Bits posted elsewhere but worthy of a new thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6268427.stm

Well, well, what a surprise. All those forces and civil service posts uprooted and dragged to Wales. And just in time to shout about for the Welsh elections. (see threads on Swiss Tony and his Webwank this PM)

All those properties and tracts of land now available for sale to boost the coffers. And all via yet another mega PFI so the cost sdo not show up at once.

Everybody wins! Apart from those condemned to occupy this tri-services dreamland handily located in, er, South Wales.

"Like any other attempts at reform in the military, attempts to save money are at the bottom of it.

"I'm still a bit doubtful as to what it will achieve. If they put it all together you're going to lose identity in terms of the three services,"

"What worries me about it is it's just going to be a desire to save money and the benefits are not going to be realised - but I would hope they are."

John Chisholm
Editor, Naval Power International

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6268287.stm

Ventress said:
St Athan, what a joy to get to. Three trains, camel and a hang glider.
Don't forget the £4.90 toll bridge fee as well!

A blatantly political choice!

Anyone know of any ministers with shares in qinetiq or metrix? :frustrated:

RABC said:
Its a one horse town - and the horse hoofed it years ago.
It has a library.

Monday Closed Closed
Tuesday 9.30 to 12.30
Wednesday Closed Closed
Thursday 14.00 to 18.00
Friday Closed Closed
Saturday 9.30 to 12.30

Woo hoo

It is all part of the Liarbour party's policy to get the military as far away from London as possible. Tonee knows that HMF would happily have an ND with the co-ax in his general direction, so he wants a couple of hours breathing space for when the coup is launched: gives him enough time to get to heathrow and be out of UK airspace by the time the tanks roll up the Mall :(

Unfortunately most of these 'big' procurement decisions are usually 'political'.The lot of the unfortunate serviceman is to have political decisions 'thrust' upon him/her.

Agent_Smith said:

Agent_Smith said:

Metrix is a consortium. Cast your eyes over the list of members and possible someone has an interest somewhere. If so, any possible conflicts all properly declared, no doubt. :shock:

http://www.metrixuk.com/

(You have to work quite hard to get to the page!

-> About us

->More information

->The bidding consortia

-> The Bidding Consortia .pdf)

However, given the length of that list and the sheer size of the project and the tensions within it, a lot of people think that the danger of this turning into another expensive PFI fiasco to no good long term effect must be high.

FFS - it's only 15 mins from Cardiff, 5 mins from the airport and you can be on the M4 by the time it takes your car to warm up.
What's more you have all the beaches of the Gower just to the West, some craking hills to the North and filthy slappers to service your every needs all around you.
Give me South Wales over congested, rude, expensive South East of England anyday.

St Athan is good Site especially as they are reopening the train station. although there is nothing in St Athan it will rapidly expand plus there are 2 towns 5 mins away (bridgend and barry island). aswell as Cardiff.

Although with that many capbadges it's going to be a god almighty punch up.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently there is already.

I used to work at Blandford, as an MOD PTI back in 2000/01. I now work for an MOD contractor, at another Training Centre as a PTI, not too far from Blandford. It looks like all the MOD jobs are going and some, maybe, will be replaced by contractors. I know all the MOD PTI's who currently work there (all ex-military), so this must be a pretty worrying time for them. It will be a case of 'move to St Athens or lose your job' I suspect. I can't see many jobs, if any, being available in the gymnasium as I suspect Blandford will be filled with other Army units and they will have their own military PTI's.

In retrospect I'm now glad I moved on, however, if the Aussie Army accept me then I'll gladly let one of them take my job!

Anybody heard where this leaves RAF Cosford? As this was the other choice for the propulsions school.

The_Kurgen said:
Anybody heard where this leaves RAF Cosford? As this was the other choice for the propulsions school.
Yes. Click here.

Mr Browne said training at Cosford and Blandford would continue until 2011 and added: "The department is exploring a number of proposals for the future defence use of both" and that a military presence is expected to remain.