Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

TRFs DZ flashes and regt accrouments cadets and Adults

Where the cadets are concerned ,well they currently wear lots of nutty badges ,so maybe a concession could be made for them to wear the light bulb on their brassard as opposed to that god awful cadet parachutist badge ?I am aware of a PARA cadet det oop north that has done that with cadets who have completed a static line course.......

Not true. Its sweetly pretty. The sky blues hues, purest deep crimson binding, proud throbbing lettering, the chute of purest silk...

Have you no taste man?

need I say more ,nasty has made it sound like a fcuking baby blanket...no chance for the cadets to see it as a badge of achievement whilst it looks so bone..........................

static-line-pimp said:
need I say more ,nasty has made it sound like a fcuking baby blanket...no chance for the cadets to see it as a badge of achievement whilst it looks so bone..........................

Could be worse, could be pink with glitter and a fuzzy felt edging...

Throwing in my two penneth, I think we should have badges galore for the kids, berets, stable belts the lot, so they can take pride in what they wear and what it stands for... but with old style lightweights and green shirts so they look like cadets, smarter, cheaper, more practical and inoffensive to the 'cadets are nothing to do with the military' type losers. DPM for smocks only.

Adults dress must reflect the unit they are in rather than any other unit or its giving out the wrong message to the kids. I suspect anyone dressing up otherwise hasn't got they're heart in the right place.

That said, rightful leeway is given in the regs for wings and daggers which might be something to look up to.

F**k me, I've made a sensible, not sarcastic reply!

light weights,
you must be fcuking joking,It's hard enough getting the little oiks to wash their combats let alone something which will show up even more dirt I think the current issue is spot on 2 sets dpm +smock and acf flashes on everything................
they are children and by and large most of them look like children so an acf flash should be enough to stop them being mistaken

Lightweights are a bad idea indeed. Although we have many smart, well turned out Cadets in our Det, indeed Coy there are a considerable number for whom the concept of kit washing or, god forbid, ironing is rather too much to grasp.

Many of our Cadets do indeed "look like kids" and there would be no difficulty in telling them apart from Reg\TA types. Many of them underline this difference by sporting horrific landing pad berets despite lessons on how to shrink same.

Many younger Cadets tend to have their kit done by "Me Mam" and Mothers seem to have some strange ideas about what constitutes "smart" when it comes to kit. We have seen it all including spectacular criss-cross laced mega droopy bow tied boots, creases down the sides of the leg, "nicer" buttons sewn on Shirt OG in place of those dreadful looking military ones. We do conduct kit and turnout lessons and we do issue a handout but this often falls on deaf ears.

Our older Cadets however can and certainly do look very young Reg or TA, particularly those who are intent on joining same. In many ways there is nothing wrong with that. They are, after all, preparing themselves for what they want to be.

We allow RE Badged Senior Cadets to wear RE TRF but on the left arm in conjunction with brassard on the right as a reward for having done RE Look At Life. In addition slides on 95 shirts or smocks must bear our County inscription. Tapes on brassard are huge, white and very visible.

I note what Banshee says about Crossed Keys and suspect we are not only members of the same County but in fact the same Company. Again Crossed Keys are something that is allowed as a reward for very hard work and consistent effort in Senior Platoon.

Don't really think there is much of a problem with TRF's on Cadets personally speaking - provided they are "earned" within County and worn on the opposite arm to a very visible brassard.

Biggest problem I Have regarding uniform is getting the little so and so's to wear the brassard, esp on Combat Jacket for travelling to and from the unit.

They will wear them on shirts fine but Combat Jackets you can forget it. esp when they want to big it up around town pretending they are in the big boys army.

on a quick aside training dress for us is Combats and green shirts with Lightweights being worn for 'posh' drill and parades.

SCUBA-Babe said:
Biggest problem I Have regarding uniform is getting the little so and so's to wear the brassard, esp on Combat Jacket for travelling to and from the unit.

They will wear them on shirts fine but Combat Jackets you can forget it. esp when they want to big it up around town pretending they are in the big boys army.

on a quick aside training dress for us is Combats and green shirts with Lightweights being worn for 'posh' drill and parades.

There have been enough cases in the past where cadets have been injured at least, due to terrorist activities. Stephen Menary springs all too readily to mind. Point this out to your cadets and explain why it is important to wear the brassard. Ask em if they'd rather big 'emselves up or ensure they are not a target.

static-line-pimp said:
light weights,
you must be fcuking joking,It's hard enough getting the little oiks to wash their combats let alone something which will show up even more dirt I think the current issue is spot on 2 sets dpm +smock and acf flashes on everything................
they are children and by and large most of them look like children so an acf flash should be enough to stop them being mistaken

Fair comment on washing them, still on the side of og's by and large though. We seem to be having a bit of a problem with kids turning up in uniform at all at the minute. There's me thinking thats part of the fun for them?

Just thought I would light the fire under static line pimp’s ARRSE.
The maroon beret is worn by all in 16 air assault (weather they are ‘Para trained’ or not (even fat pie eating plant ops are cutting about with a maroon lid on)) therefore the beret is not to show the Para qualification the wings are, therefore should cadets at a Para detachment not wear the maroon beret.
Am standing by to repel borders.
Tonight I shall mostly be at a mess meeting!!

Ah born to dig ,I wondered how long it would take for you to enchant us with you eloquent words of wisdom,indeed in 16 AA brigade the maroon lid is given out to the bottle washers ,cooks,and pie wallahs as you indeed alluded to,however The lids still a symbol of achievement in the PARA REG to whom the cadets are badged,to be honest I'm a big believer in the old NO PCOY=THE BERET IS ON LOAN AND NOT EARNT and should certainly not be issued to the cadets.
anyway will see you in the bar my harry chum.....................

static-line-pimp said:
Ah born to dig ,I wondered how long it would take for you to enchant us with you eloquent words of wisdom,indeed in 16 AA brigade the maroon lid is given out to the bottle washers ,cooks,and pie wallahs as you indeed alluded to,however The lids still a symbol of achievement in the PARA REG to whom the cadets are badged,to be honest I'm a big believer in the old NO PCOY=THE BERET IS ON LOAN AND NOT EARNT and should certainly not be issued to the cadets.
anyway will see you in the bar my harry chum.....................

He got you. You had to bite.

What about the beret with the pre-P Coy or the old Junior Para backing? Only kidding. Silly idea BTD.

Sir_Henry_Simmerson said:
Sergeant Major Instructors are not WOs. I heard a RSMI refer to himself as a WO1 once. To be fair to him he had been a WO2, but I don't think he'd ever been a WO1.

I know plenty of 'nice blokes' in the ACF who talk the talk and know the cadet training manual, but (accepting that some people are prevented from serving for medical reasons) it boils down to this - has an individual ever signed on the dotted line to say that they will put themselves in harms way for their Country.

If they have, then fair play to them, I'd let them wear any trade badges they want to and are eligable to wear. The Cadets like it, certainly in my Platoon, and ask questions which foster an interest in the military. It has nothing to do with larging-it up to 14 year olds, but being proud of your achievements and trying to inspire the next generation.