Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

TRFs DZ flashes and regt accrouments cadets and Adults

I have seen some wings being worn. looks a bit waltty (even if you have earned them) what do you have to prove to a bunch of kids?

apart from that, my ACF is a bit free of them as far as i can see.

thespicegirl said:
I have seen some wings being worn. looks a bit waltty (even if you have earned them) what do you have to prove to a bunch of kids?

Pilots Wings, Parachute Wings and Commando Daggers may be worn by ex-regulars who have the appropriate qualification entry in their discharge book 'In Perpetuity' (Meaning always) and is laid down in Materials Regulations for the Army.

DZ or TRF Flashs and Coloured Berets other than approved by county however are not.

Other badges permitted to be worn by ex-regular AI's are listed in Annex H to Section 3 of:

http://www.ams.mod.uk/content/docs/jsp336/3rd_ed/vol12/pt3/pam13/contents.htm

Mike_2817 said:
thespicegirl said:

Pilots Wings, Parachute Wings and Commando Daggers may be worn by ex-regulars who have the appropriate qualification entry in their discharge book 'In Perpetuity' (Meaning always) and is laid down in Materials Regulations for the Army.

DZ or TRF Flashs and Coloured Berets other than approved by county however are not.

Other badges permitted to be worn by ex-regular AI's are listed in Annex H to Section 3 of:

Spice girl ,if you had any idea what we who wear wings have had to go through to have the right wear them (as with our cdo trained bretheren ),then you would understand exactly why they are worn at all times after your service with a PARA/CDO unit,the same rules apply for the regular army ,ACF and TA .
There is no waltism attached to wearing them,those particular individuals have had to work bloody hard to have the right to wear such insignia.
My advice is give those individuals the respect they deserve as they have obviously passed a series of tests you have no comprehension of.

And my unit are badged PARA so does that make me a walt for continuing to wear my maroon lid ?

Not trying to start a slagging match......but i have seen cadets and AI's in my area whilst conducting visits to various detachments who have been wearing RIFLES rank slides !!!!!! I know we are now a big Family but surely that is just pushing it a bit far. When you point out to them that they are not actually entitled to wear the rank slide normally yoyu get confronted by attitude.

ChosenmanJanner said:
Not trying to start a slagging match......but i have seen cadets and AI's in my area whilst conducting visits to various detachments who have been wearing RIFLES rank slides !!!!!! I know we are now a big Family but surely that is just pushing it a bit far. When you point out to them that they are not actually entitled to wear the rank slide normally yoyu get confronted by attitude.

All to do with enforcing the dress code by the county.

Now if their PRI or shop is selling them to the AI's well.....

Our county has 5 cap badges and is now introducing county rank slides for all, embroided in the generic gold and not regimental colours. I think this is a good thing, as I've seen AIs using (as an example) Rifle Green embroidery to disguise the letters A, C and F against the DPM background.

This has been banged on about on numerous threads around here before, so I won't labour the point.

I see Furryturd has 'owned-up' to the ACF stable belt ;-)

I would wear one quite happily, FT, but (and this is a great excuse) it's not a uniform if we're all in different dress, and as I'm not an officer I couldn't blag it! But if County decided we should, then I'd be happy to.

I wear one out of a mixture of pride and badness. The county determine what capbadge we wear but as far as I know there are only myself and the Commandant who wear an ACF belt.

Pride....I am an instructor in the ACF, nothing more, nothing less. i am proud of what the ACF does for the young people of our country.

Badness.....I was a soldier once, a long time ago. I don't need to pretend to be one after a one week Scouting For Boys course at Frimley.

Many ACF instructors are sound, decent hardworking people but there are a few who would love to be soldiers but have never had the cajones to join the TA so they ponce around in front of kids pretending to be Andy McNab and telling "war stories" about what they did when they were 4 star cadets.

quote="Pitster"
Our county has 5 cap badges and is now introducing county rank slides for all, embroided in the generic gold and not regimental colours. I think this is a good thing, as I've seen AIs using (as an example) Rifle Green embroidery to disguise the letters A, C and F against the DPM background.

thats just plain sad waltism

surely in the case of the rifles as long as it reads rifles or has the horn (whatever it is) with acf on it then thats ok but to just wear regimental rank slides without the acf thats when eye brows should be raised.

our sector/county has 13 cap badges and allows regimental pattern rank slides with acf written beneath it.......

static-line-pimp said:
Mike_2817 said:
thespicegirl said:

Spice girl ,if you had any idea what we who wear wings have had to go through to have the right wear them (as with our cdo trained bretheren ),then you would understand exactly why they are worn at all times after your service with a PARA/CDO unit,the same rules apply for the regular army ,ACF and TA .
There is no waltism attached to wearing them,those particular individuals have had to work bloody hard to have the right to wear such insignia.
My advice is give those individuals the respect they deserve as they have obviously passed a series of tests you have no comprehension of.

And my unit are badged PARA so does that make me a walt for continuing to wear my maroon lid ?
Now look here pimpy old boy!

I don't begrudge anyone who has been through physical and mental hell thier dues. what I do begrudge is people who wear them larging it up to some spotty 14 year old. and there lies my point. we (the royal we) all wear what we are entitled to or we don't.

Can I leave the inevitable bickering between The Pimp and the Spice Girl aside for a moment? I'm curious about non-uniform regimental acoutrements (regimental ties, blazer badges.)

I heard tell of a CEO who tore a strip off a Sergeant Instructor for wearing a Regimental tie. The SI in question had only ever been involved with the cadet forces and had not 'earned the right' to wear the tie.

Should adult staff be allowed to wear ties and so on if they've not done any Regular or TA service?

Funny that Mr simmerson!

My regiments "TSM" said to me once

"20 years a WO and i've earned it"

I asked him who he served with, he never replied, just stormed out of the room! He a nicelBloke but fcuk me. he takes the piss!

Turns out he's been ACF all his life, never TA, never reg. But still wears a PARA reg jumper. I threatened to chin him.

This bloke owns regimental mess dress. Knows the drill, SAA manual inside out. walks the SM walk and talks the SM talk.

To be continued.

Edited as i forgot stuff

Sergeant Major Instructors are not WOs. I heard a RSMI refer to himself as a WO1 once. To be fair to him he had been a WO2, but I don't think he'd ever been a WO1.

I know plenty of 'nice blokes' in the ACF who talk the talk and know the cadet training manual, but (accepting that some people are prevented from serving for medical reasons) it boils down to this - has an individual ever signed on the dotted line to say that they will put themselves in harms way for their Country.

If they have, then fair play to them, I'd let them wear any trade badges they want to and are eligable to wear. The Cadets like it, certainly in my Platoon, and ask questions which foster an interest in the military. It has nothing to do with larging-it up to 14 year olds, but being proud of your achievements and trying to inspire the next generation.