Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

trench art how do I .

got some trench art this weekend but some clot has painted all the brass with some manky varnish.
Any tips for getting it off please .
Also one of the items is a cigareete lighter / ashtray combo and he seems to have glued or soldered the flint wheel into the base so you cant put a new flint or wick into it . Can I just warm it up and get the solder off or is that too simple ? no 11, 111 m 1941 would that be some kind of shell ??

24hr Dettol bath for the varnish would be my first port of call, if the lighter is glued it'll work on that too. Use the original Dettol nothing else

Nitromors will work but is time dependent and will pit the brass after 20 minutes - have a water bath ready to dunk it in and neutralise the chemicals

Theoretically you should be able to de-solder, you'll need a soldering iron, or a mate with one.

Brass I have seen dropped into a saucepan of boiling water with a cup of baking soda in it. 15 - 20 minutes later take it out and give it some elbow grease with an old tooth brush or similar.

Post a piccy of the item, for us nosey buggers.

24hr Dettol bath for the varnish would be my first port of call, if the lighter is glued it'll work on that too. Use the original Dettol nothing else

Reading this post has reminded me that I went to a supermarket earlier specifically to buy some Dettol for paint stripping.......and have now realised I forgot to by it as I got distracted choosing the nicest looking tiger bread.

Reading this post has reminded me that I went to a supermarket earlier specifically to buy some Dettol for paint stripping.......and have now realised I forgot to by it as I got distracted choosing the nicest looking tiger bread.

Stop cooking in aluminium saucepans, drinking out of ally can's and the alzheimers won't get worse.

boiled white vinegar is yer man cleaned up stuff in no time at all . just getting a flint and fuel and it should go like the clappers. when i have cleaned the shell base i will put another pic here to see if anyone knows what it is .

Attachments

• compressed.jpg
    compressed.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 47