treatment as an officer

#1
I am going to try to become an officer in the royal engineers, i am going into 3rd year of a BSc engineering course following on from my HND, im not a usual boring uni type of person, more of a lad that enjoys the craic with the bhoys and im just wondering,

1. as i will be a graduate will u still get treated with respect as you have not climbed the ranks?
2. will you get to have craic with the soldiers or will you have to hang about with only officers?
3. are officers boring kunts or do they have the same craic s the rest of the bhoys?
4. to become an officer do you have to be quite posh?

cheers
 
#3
The long and short of it is:

1. to get the troops' respect, you will have to earn it. This is difficult, but not impossible, and unquantifiable in general terms. It depends on them and you.

2. you will be able to have a craic with the guys, but not too often. It is better to be invited than impose your presence. You will have to do a certain amount of hanging around with officers too.

3. it depends. The younger the mess, the bigger the craic (generally).

4. (sigh) no.
 
#4
thanks mate, was wondering if i was going to get any serious answers! im just not sure officer is the right route for me, at adsc i got advised to go the officer route as they said i showed alot of leadership qualities but im just worried ai would not enjoy it as much as a soldier!
 
#7
cage88 said:
thanks mate, was wondering if i was going to get any serious answers! im just not sure officer is the right route for me, at adsc i got advised to go the officer route as they said i showed alot of leadership qualities but im just worried ai would not enjoy it as much as a soldier!
If i had the quals , as you do, id be going in as an officer no question... The craic mite not be as good but in the long term, its by far the better career path..

What other role/trade would you be looking at going in for, if not officer??
 
#8
You're going to have a laugh wherever you end up - thats the nature of soldiering and a sense of humour is a key tenet when the sh*t has hit the fan.

I'd go down to ERLS and do the intial interviews, have a look around what the Corps has got to offer and go from there. You can specialist in Para/Cdo/Armd/lt role/Mech...

or if you really want to geek it up you can become a Professionally Qualified Engineer (PQE) and spend your life designing infra for Theatre!
 
#9
well at the start i was thinking about going in as a avionics/electronics tech bu thats out the window! royal engineers is for me because of the variety of stuff you can do, with my run time at adsc 8.44 i think i would do the para course but id love to do the diving tickets aswell, fingers crossed i will be able to do both!
while i am doing my degree i am going to try all the officer selction and see how it goes,i do not mind going in as a soldier atol but as you said officer is by far the better carear path.
as for being a geek and designing stuff, thats just not fo me!
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#10
Is your keyboard broken, or is that just the best you can manage? To be taken seriously on here, and later in your career, you will need to drop the chav chat and start to use correct English.

The craic is not limited to the "bhoys" (whatever they may be). Most officers will tell you that life in the mess, particularly as a young officer, is as good as you want it to be - which usually means good fun.
 
#11
The Duke has spoken, to be fair i am not a chav i am just used to writing in slang format and it is hard to get used to writing serious english as this is just a forum and not a essay for uni!
 
#12
The_Duke said:
Is your keyboard broken, or is that just the best you can manage? To be taken seriously on here, and later in your career, you will need to drop the chav chat and start to use correct English.

The craic is not limited to the "bhoys" (whatever they may be). Most officers will tell you that life in the mess, particularly as a young officer, is as good as you want it to be - which usually means good fun.
I believe it is an African derived term for "gentlemen belonging to a specific grouping".

Is the original poster a member of an LA based gang, or a fcuking tool trying to give it some street based "large, innit, blood" whilst sucking through his teeth?
 
#14
Geordie_Blerk said:
The_Duke said:
Is your keyboard broken, or is that just the best you can manage? To be taken seriously on here, and later in your career, you will need to drop the chav chat and start to use correct English.

The craic is not limited to the "bhoys" (whatever they may be). Most officers will tell you that life in the mess, particularly as a young officer, is as good as you want it to be - which usually means good fun.
I believe it is an African derived term for "gentlemen belonging to a specific grouping".
Is this where the expression "black Irish" comes from then?
 
#15
cage88 said:
The Duke has spoken, to be fair i am not a chav i am just used to writing in slang format and it is hard to get used to writing serious english as this is just a forum and not a essay for uni!
Get used to using correct english as you will have paperwork to get through and I will gaurantee that informal slop will be tossed back at you.

It's not about being posh but try to bear in mind that a good officer can communicate clearly and correctly in a variety of formats.

Rant over....

Good luck to you though. The job is what you make it and you've had some sound advice from experienced guys on here. Have you been for your PO visit yet?

Chally
 
#17
chally2 said:
cage88 said:
The Duke has spoken, to be fair i am not a chav i am just used to writing in slang format and it is hard to get used to writing serious english as this is just a forum and not a essay for uni!
Get used to using correct english as you will have paperwork to get through and I will gaurantee that informal slop will be tossed back at you.

It's not about being posh but try to bear in mind that a good officer can communicate clearly and correctly in a variety of formats.

Rant over....

Good luck to you though. The job is what you make it and you've had some sound advice from experienced guys on here. Have you been for your PO visit yet?

Chally
Oh dear :D

And Cuddles - you got there just before me :twisted:

Cage - go in as an Officer - I did 24 years and had a ball!

And start to do joined-up writing or the SD (Staff Duties = writing) sh1ts will rip you a new arrrsehole. 8)

Edited to add - have we just been Wah'd?
 
#19
cage88 said:
I am going to try to become an officer in the royal engineers, i am going into 3rd year of a BSc engineering course following on from my HND, im not a usual boring uni type of person, more of a lad that enjoys the craic with the bhoys and im just wondering,

1. as i will be a graduate will u still get treated with respect as you have not climbed the ranks?
2. will you get to have craic with the soldiers or will you have to hang about with only officers?
3. are officers boring kunts or do they have the same craic s the rest of the bhoys?
4. to become an officer do you have to be quite posh?

cheers
I have (unusually for me) waited a couple of hours after reading this post before replying.

Firstly, I sincerely hope that this an enormous "wah" but on the off-chance that it's not:

What kind of moron are you?

Where do you get the idea of a "typical boring uni person"? Did nobody talk to you during Freshers' week? Did you fail to get accepted into the knitting club? Were you gang raped by the chess club?

Interesting that you question whether the profession you hope (and I can tell you with almost certainty that it will be a forlorn one) to join is populated by "boring kunts".

From your apparent attitude (and gross stupidity) I doubt very much that either group (officers or soldiers) will like, respect or even tolerate you. You are clearly an ignorant cretin with a very small brain, no social graces and an appalling lack of communication skills.

There is no way on God's earth that you will be commissioned as any kind of officer - let alone one in the Royal Engineers. I sincerely doubt you would make it as a soldier either. So please go away and take your moronic, unintelligible drivel and shove it up your arse you half-witted fcuktard.

There, I feel so much better now. Hope that you found that 'advice' useful?

PS you could always apply to B&Q.
 
#20
Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
Where do you get the idea of a "typical boring uni person"? Did nobody talk to you during Freshers' week? Did you fail to get accepted into the knitting club? Were you gang raped by the chess club?
I get the feeling that he didn't complete his HND at university, and it was done at college or vocationally. Not that I'm detracting from getting/earning a qualification that way, but I think that might explain why he thinks universities are primarily attended by a "usual boring uni type of person".
 

Latest Threads

New Posts