Treating myself to a new shotgun. Suggestions?

Clays (at least at the level I shoot) is miles away from high level performance obsessed competitive target shooting.
As it should be. We retired from all that competitive stuff fifteen years ago; and rediscovered those things called "holidays" and "weekends"... just in time to start breeding, and lose them again. One rugrat away at University, hopefully the other in a year or two :)

These days, we just potter about at target rifle, club level and no more (well, the County team tends to guilt-trip us into postal matches), and it's great. You get down on the firing point, and instantly there's no room in your head for anything more than the target. Ten minutes of that is a great relaxer. We occasionally help coach the local University team, just to chill out...

...and these days, it's more likely that I'm "the old geezer with the battered kit" who just bangs in a decent score and wanders off to the bemusement of the twentysomethings. Tell you what, pretending that it was effortless and that I don't care about the performance is the difficult part. That competitive streak is still hiding down there, and occasionally it sneaks out to rediscover the words "skill fade".

As for shotgun, thirty years ago we volunteered to be the "duty beginners" for a coaching course that the Scottish governing body was running; and discovered that it was great fun (the student coaches were fairly experienced, just going for the formal qualification). We've taken the boys along to game shows a few times (you know, "£5 for ten shots with a 0.410 / 20 bore", great for club funds no doubt), and a couple of times for a teaching session at a clay shooting school; it's just... fun.

PS I know a few of the high-level performance obsessed competitive clay target shooters. They're not somehow differently-equipped genetic freaks who are Gods Among Humans, they've just had access to a lot of good coaching and a lot of training...

Last edited:
Honest question, but why? If you just want a quick follow-up shot, surely a decent semi-auto like the Saiga or Vepr would be better?

As long as you stay away from the SPAS-12 and the like. Them's just not cricket.
As I said some shoots frown upon semi autos and pumps and I like company (sometimes). Also I prefer side by side to over and under. Don't know why,just do.

It’s a bit of a buyers market for used higher end ‘factory’ guns tbh.

If you look about Guntrader or Gunstar long enough you’ll see that a lot of them have been on the racks for a fairly long time with the exception of the occasional nice B25’s etc which can be snapped up at really sensible money but you have to be quick and most are private sales.

I put it down to the fact that everything can be bought interest free or low APR from major retailers via Klarna or similar. I’d try and buy private or go toshop without a trade in and I bet you could haggle yourself a deal for cash.

hicky

Old-Salt
Does 5K lend itself to the Perazzi experiance?
If not then one of the main offerings depending on your personal choice ref fancy engravings or higher end wood.

I'd say looking at the market, HP steel proofed is a must along with 3inch chamber. The eco wad element is making large strides currently however why not future proof.
Obviously beyond aesthetics fit is the key factor, I've fired 725 30inch barrel variant which I found was too long for me, 525 the pistol grip seemed to be vastly different to a 725 and felt wrong somehow but that could be down to a lack of familiarity. Silver pigeon which fitted a tee, if pushed I'd go EELL if the fit was the same as SP.
I have to say its a nice dilemma you have Duke :)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does 5K lend itself to the Perazzi experiance?
If not then one of the main offerings depending on your personal choice ref fancy engravings or higher end wood.

I'd say looking at the market, HP steel proofed is a must along with 3inch chamber. The eco wad element is making large strides currently however why not future proof.
Obviously beyond aesthetics fit is the key factor, I've fired 725 30inch barrel variant which I found was too long for me, 525 the pistol grip seemed to be vastly different to a 725 and felt wrong somehow but that could be down to a lack of familiarity. Silver pigeon which fitted a tee, if pushed I'd go EELL if the fit was the same as SP.
I have to say its a nice dilemma you have Duke :)

5k could potentially get you a secondhand entry level Perazzi. One of the black ones with no engraving.

I‘ve just had a look on guntrader and there are plenty about.

I was surprised to see a PeruginI & Visini on there for 6.5k.

That‘s a bargain in anyone’s book. P&V are in partnership with Purdey to make the Purdey Sporter and some other bits and pieces. Very very nice bang sticks.

Then I would suggest you have the right tools for the job. :)
Not sure I'd fancy crossing pair or rabbit with bird on report whilst using a pump gun. horses for courses I suppose.
I many years ago went down to Larkhill with some mates and took part in the dropshorts clay comp those of us who weren’t five mile snipers went round as a group and one of the blokes there had bought with him a brand spankers pump action he had purchased a few days before, he got the first clay most of the time but the second was rarity and by the end of the day he had ditched it and used a spare O/U as he physically struggled to work the action
the country bumpkins amongst us spent the day ripping the piss out of him

HE117

LE
I have shot 16s for many years.. but that is me, and I would probably turn up with a pinfire if I thought I could get away with it. I like the 16 as it shoots the same load as a light 12 with a much lighter gun. I have several, from an 1880 Bland to a Sweet 16 as well as a few muzzle loaders..

I do however have a Perazzi and a couple of Winchesters in the bunker which will be looking for a new home once probate is through..!

Latest Threads