Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Treating myself to a new shotgun. Suggestions?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have added a few to that myself over the years!

In all seriousness that place has been a clay ground since the 1920s. That pile is probably not even a 10th of what’s been shot there over the years.

Think how much lead is in the ground round there. They’ll be able to mine it one day.

Re my post above, although I had not been fitted, I feel I fell lucky that a 28" left hand gun came up and it felt right to me and I felt right with it,

My planets were aligned that day.

I do hope I'm right and I'm not compensating where I shouldn't have to.

Then again, I don't remember been fitted for that riffle. As I remember it was butt, short, medium or long?

Open to corrections if I'm wrong.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Re my post above, although I had not been fitted, I feel I fell lucky that a 28" left hand gun came up and it felt right to me and I felt right with it,

My planets were aligned that day.

I do hope I'm right and I'm not compensating where I shouldn't have to.

Then again, I don't remember been fitted for that riffle. As I remember it was butt, short, medium or long?

Open to corrections if I'm wrong.

It’s like buying a suit. An off the shelf job in your measurements will be perfectly adequate, but nothing beats a made to measure Saville Row job.

If it works for you that’s fine, but if you have a gun fit you’ll learn a lot.

And it may completely ruin your gun when you realise it’s not quite perfect. :)

DF359866-F6AF-4EE7-A9AC-A060DEF0BFDA.jpeg

That's got to be finger off the the trigger award nominee No 1 for 2021. Impressive.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's got to be finger off the the trigger award nominee No 1 for 2021. Impressive.

Instilled at a young age by a scary shouty man whacking me over the back of the head with a stick.

It never leaves you.

Instilled at a young age by a scary shouty man whacking me over the back of the head with a stick.

It never leaves you.

Same here, wherever I go and there's guns I look at every one holding such.

Lessons taught the easy way never to be learned. the hard way

I am hitting a milestone birthday later this year, and think I will treat myself to a new shotgun.

I shot AYA SxS for years (12 and 20 bore, 26” barrels) but after a serious drop off in performance from mediocre to downright abysmal I switched to OU with 32” barrels (Bettinsoli, £1k to test whether I got on with it). Confidence increased, scores up.

Usual shooting is clays once or twice per month, a few beat one/shoot one days per season.

The William Powell Perdix has caught my eye, but I have no experience of others to compare it to.

Budget up to £5k (ish). Any suggestions?
I agree with the Bettinsoli. My OU is a Bettinsoli, purely because when I went to the gun shop, the fit was perfect. I've shot a few others and have not had any where near as good a shoot as I do with it

I have an Ithaca pump action and a Remington home defender 870 both easy to use and reliable
The Safety Officer might ask you to leave. Some shooting grounds don't allow them.

Ensuring they are unloaded when leaving the stand requires extra checks.

Who wouldn't want a tricked out Perazzi for trap and a bench made English SxS for game?

I'll tell you who - my wife!
Simple - marry a shooter, worked for me :)

Unfortunately, it means that she knows exactly how much everything costs, and will spot any subtle changes to equipment... as our sports psych bloke pointed out, we were each other's primary coach in the days when we were still competing seriously.

She's always wanted to take up clay target or golf. So far, on the basis of dabbling, I'm better at the first, much worse at the second...

The_Duke

LE
Clays (at least at the level I shoot) is miles away from high level performance obsessed competitive target shooting. Mainly Sporting - relaxed, purely for fun, usually a lot of sledging going on. Scores are a nice to have rather than an essential. It is quite common in my club for good shots to mess about by making it harder for themselves (why shoot it when it "hangs" in the air when you can wait until it is dropping like a stone and see if you can get it 3' off the floor etc).

I use it for relaxation, and as a much better form of corporate entertainment than hitting a small ball with a bent stick.

If I mentioned adjusting the cheek piece by 0.5mm to get a more natural fit I would be beaten to death with a slab of 28gm fibre wads - and deservedly so! If I was a competitive DTL or skeet shot, then it might be different.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Clays (at least at the level I shoot) is miles away from high level performance obsessed competitive target shooting. Mainly Sporting - relaxed, purely for fun, usually a lot of sledging going on. Scores are a nice to have rather than an essential. It is quite common in my club for good shots to mess about by making it harder for themselves (why shoot it when it "hangs" in the air when you can wait until it is dropping like a stone and see if you can get it 3' off the floor etc).

I use it for relaxation, and as a much better form of corporate entertainment than hitting a small ball with a bent stick.

If I mentioned adjusting the cheek piece by 0.5mm to get a more natural fit I would be beaten to death with a slab of 28gm fibre wads - and deservedly so! If I was a competitive DTL or skeet shot, then it might be different.

That’s the way to do it.

All sport should be fun first and foremost. When you start getting into the realms of shot cams, adjustable stocks and special vests, you’re taking it way too seriously.

You can spend thousands on Gucci kit and some ****** with a 100 year old side by side will still rock up and beat you.

I’ve mentioned before that my brother in law is a fantastic shot, very rarely misses. He’s the guy that will go for that high pigeon that everyone else thinks is out of range.

He shoots with a 99 year old H&H that is cast for right handed even though he’s left handed. It’s so worn that you can’t even see the chequering on it anymore.

The Safety Officer might ask you to leave. Some shooting grounds don't allow them.

Ensuring they are unloaded when leaving the stand requires extra checks.
I live in Alberta our rules are a little different, I unload whilst it’s in the vehicle and I don’t point it at friends

Second hand Beretta DT10?
They come in various grades relating to scrolling/engraving
The action is well proven and solid
Interchangeable barrels and multichoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said, I’ve one that was a teaching gun at my brothers place, must have had a 50 k cartridges through it. Never missed a beat, shoots well and now has a nice ”patina”.

I live in Alberta our rules are a little different, I unload whilst it’s in the vehicle and I don’t point it at friends
Then I would suggest you have the right tools for the job. :)
Not sure I'd fancy crossing pair or rabbit with bird on report whilst using a pump gun. horses for courses I suppose.

totally echo the comments on relaxed approach to sporting.
I leant to shoot from a young age on a 20, which meant I could often pick off that fleeting bird, a habit which has stuck. Often leading to a game of how long can you wait...... "oooh he got it"... or "you gave him a scare at least"

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
When this madness is over, if you fancy treating the wife to a weekend in the Cotswolds, Ian Coley has a very good shop and range all on the same site
they do fitting, new and used
and the area is loaded with nice places to eat, and stay, and some decent shops to distract the wife while you choose a nice firearm

you will not find better food in this area, and the Gentleman who owns it also owns a few more in Cheltenham, no corners are cut, everything is carried out to the highest standards, Julian Dunkerton also owns a clothing company, but he really has raised the bar with his Hotels and Restuarants, A nicer chap you could not wish to meet
he also owns a Brewery just of the A40 at Dowdeswell, oh and his own building company to ensure everything is carried out to his high standards,

Last edited:
When this madness is over, if you fancy treating the wife to a weekend in the Cotswolds, Ian Coley has a very good shop and range all on the same site
they do fitting, new and used
and the area is loaded with nice places to eat, and stay, and some decent shops to distract the wife will you choose a nice firearm
Wedgenock and Edgehill are at the northern end and are both worth a visit. Both friendly and accessable

Latest Threads