Treasury figures prove that "green" taxes are guff

#2
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
 
#3
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
You didn't read the article did you. :roll:
 
#4
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
And of course it is just 4x4's that are taxed heavily isn't it :roll:

So farms pay more, profits reduced. That equals either less pay to the farmer and his staff or he will just pass the cost onto us.

Sven you really do scare me.
 
#5
Ord_Sgt said:
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
You didn't read the article did you. :roll:
Nope - a quick look at the picture and on to a meaningless rant unconnected with the article. Then again, do you expect Sven to stick to the subject at hand? I certainly don't :roll:
 
#6
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
Sorry Sven I forgot you are one of the ZANU-Labour apologists and one of their auxiliary spin doctors. I never mentioned "Chelsea tractors" so you are the one who started "wittering on" about them. The bottom line is that this tax is not really aimed at the most polluting cars, but rather raising revenue. The Treasury aren’t remotely interested in the environment, just parting us from our hard earned cash. :x
 
#9
I'm surprised that the Telegraph took so long to work that out, they must be slipping. It has been obvious for a while that Brown and his glove puppet were getting desperate to find more revenue streams to pay his army of civil servants and plug the massive gaps left by his wasteful spending binges.

The government have already admitted that the revenue raised from the doubling of Airport environment tax last year would not go on environmental projects, but would go into Gordons' big bucket marked 'please waste me'.
 
#10
vandyke said:
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
And of course it is just 4x4's that are taxed heavily isn't it :roll:

So farms pay more, profits reduced. That equals either less pay to the farmer and his staff or he will just pass the cost onto us.

Sven you really do scare me.
You forgot to read the bit that says "the running costs are offset" :roll:

On the off chance that You don't know, businesses have their running costs taken away from the amount of tax they pay - so farms DON'T pay the extra costs.

Vandyke - You scare me too.
 
#11
royalmile said:
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
Sorry Sven I forgot you are one of the ZANU-Labour apologists and one of their auxiliary spin doctors. I never mentioned "Chelsea tractors" so you are the one who started "wittering on" about them. The bottom line is that this tax is not really aimed at the most polluting cars, but rather raising revenue. The Treasury aren’t remotely interested in the environment, just parting us from our hard earned cash. :x
Two terms that should be banned from the English lexicon ... "Chelsea Tractor" and "4x4". In a Stalinist/LibDem vision of Britain, you should all be issued with a Trabant and told to get on with it. In a free country, you should be permitted to choose the vehicle you buy.

I have chosen, for many years and for a variety of reasons, to drive one of these "offending vehicles". Although it has a "4x4" capability, it actually operates as a "4x2" unless the sensors determine that all wheels need to be powered. And I do not live in Chelsea either. :wink:

I am, however, sorry to discover that, according to the manufacturer's website, the CO2 emissions are 258 g/km. Accordingly, I now shall give consideration to selling the vehicle immediately [so that someone else can use it as a Planet Polluter] and buy a new, greener, vehicle instead. ........... No, I won't.

The idea that those tax bands are going to change the spending habits of those who can afford larger vehicles is fatuous. And I still smoke 20 a day as well. An increase in cost of few hundred quid per annum is irrelevant. It is, as has been said here and elsewhere, simply a dishonest and fraudulent tax imposed under the guise of an ecological measure.
 
#12
Ord_Sgt said:
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
You didn't read the article did you. :roll:
Yep

I was using 4x4s as an example, the same can be said for all those large engines that by and large just aren't needed. Why does a person need 2.0l plus to drive around town. Large cars are status symbols by and large and not needed.
 
#13
Sven said:
I was using 4x4s as an example, the same can be said for all those large engines that by and large just aren't needed. Why does a person need 2.0l plus to drive around town. Large cars are status symbols by and large and not needed.
Is that the politics of envy, or the politics of ecology?
 
#14
blue_sophist said:
Sven said:
I was using 4x4s as an example, the same can be said for all those large engines that by and large just aren't needed. Why does a person need 2.0l plus to drive around town. Large cars are status symbols by and large and not needed.
Is that the politics of envy, or the politics of ecology?
It is the urbanised politics of envy, intended to appeal to the prejudices of left-wing urbanites.
 
#15
Sven said:
vandyke said:
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
And of course it is just 4x4's that are taxed heavily isn't it :roll:

So farms pay more, profits reduced. That equals either less pay to the farmer and his staff or he will just pass the cost onto us.

Sven you really do scare me.
You forgot to read the bit that says "the running costs are offset" :roll:

On the off chance that You don't know, businesses have their running costs taken away from the amount of tax they pay - so farms DON'T pay the extra costs.

Vandyke - You scare me too.
Is that 100% tax deductable?

What about the poor family that drives a VW sharan people carrier now forced to pay £400 per year road tax in addition to tax added to fuel.

If you drive a gas guzzler you already pay more tax by using more fuel.

I will believe global warming when someone can explain why last ice age melted. Like said previously an excuse to tax us again, Not that they need an excuse.
 
#16
blue_sophist said:
Sven said:
I was using 4x4s as an example, the same can be said for all those large engines that by and large just aren't needed. Why does a person need 2.0l plus to drive around town. Large cars are status symbols by and large and not needed.
Is that the politics of envy, or the politics of ecology?
Just common sense.
 
#17
vandyke said:
Sven said:
vandyke said:
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
And of course it is just 4x4's that are taxed heavily isn't it :roll:

So farms pay more, profits reduced. That equals either less pay to the farmer and his staff or he will just pass the cost onto us.

Sven you really do scare me.
You forgot to read the bit that says "the running costs are offset" :roll:

On the off chance that You don't know, businesses have their running costs taken away from the amount of tax they pay - so farms DON'T pay the extra costs.

Vandyke - You scare me too.
Is that 100% tax deductable?

What about the poor family that drives a VW sharan people carrier now forced to pay £400 per year road tax in addition to tax added to fuel.

If you drive a gas guzzler you already pay more tax by using more fuel.

I will believe global warming when someone can explain why last ice age melted. Like said previously an excuse to tax us again, Not that they need an excuse.
When most families have 5 kids then I might agree that they need it. People paid a premium for their status symbols, well now they pay a premiium for running them.
 
#18
Sven said:
vandyke said:
Sven said:
vandyke said:
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.
And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
And of course it is just 4x4's that are taxed heavily isn't it :roll:
So farms pay more, profits reduced. That equals either less pay to the farmer and his staff or he will just pass the cost onto us.
Sven you really do scare me.
You forgot to read the bit that says "the running costs are offset" :roll:
On the off chance that You don't know, businesses have their running costs taken away from the amount of tax they pay - so farms DON'T pay the extra costs.
Vandyke - You scare me too.
Is that 100% tax deductable?
What about the poor family that drives a VW sharan people carrier now forced to pay £400 per year road tax in addition to tax added to fuel.
If you drive a gas guzzler you already pay more tax by using more fuel.
I will believe global warming when someone can explain why last ice age melted. Like said previously an excuse to tax us again, Not that they need an excuse.
When most families have 5 kids then I might agree that they need it. People paid a premium for their status symbols, well now they pay a premiium for running them.
The cost of running the Sharan is surely Government-subsidised through Family allowances, Child benefits or whatever they're called these days?
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#19
Sven said:
vandyke said:
Sven said:
How does the Treasury know what will influence the Chelsea Tractor drivers around the country? When it starts to bite into their disposable income then they will start to change - just like it did with cigarettes.

And don't start wittering on about farmers, their vehicles are company owned (by the farm) and so the running costs are offset.
And of course it is just 4x4's that are taxed heavily isn't it :roll:

So farms pay more, profits reduced. That equals either less pay to the farmer and his staff or he will just pass the cost onto us.

Sven you really do scare me.
You forgot to read the bit that says "the running costs are offset" :roll:

On the off chance that You don't know, businesses have their running costs taken away from the amount of tax they pay - so farms DON'T pay the extra costs.

Vandyke - You scare me too.
SVEN for christ's sake! Are you really that incredibly stupid?

The costs are NOT offset at all! The tax reduces the profit of the farm, and thus the farm pays less tax on its profit. It still has to pay the vehicle tax in full.

Don't be such a spanner.
 
#20
Sven, they pay a premium for running them anyway, it is called fuel duty.

Artificially putting an extra premium on top of that is just ENVY.

If you are representative of the Liberal Democrats, it is no wonder that they are not taken seriously by the aspiring middle classes.
 

Latest Threads