Treason laws, to be rewritten?

BBC news page, what are the laws on treason?

shamlessly copied from the BBC
The original law said: "When a Man doth compass or imagine the Death of our Lord the King, or of our Lady his Queen or of their eldest Son and Heir; or if a Man do violate the King's Companion, or the King's eldest Daughter unmarried, or the Wife the King's eldest Son and Heir; or if a Man do levy War against our Lord the King in his Realm, or be adherent to the King's Enemies in his Realm, giving to them Aid and Comfort in the Realm."

Or rather what the law actually said was in Norman French, but put succinctly in English, you can't kill, conspire against or wage war against the king and his family. You also can't have sex with his wife, heir's wife or his unmarried eldest daughter. And the act goes on to rule out actions against the chancellor, treasurer and various categories of senior judge.
Some of the acts that have come since have been to change the punishment. The 1814 act decreased to hanging a punishment that was traditionally described thus:

"[To] be drawn on a hurdle to the place of execution and there be hanged by the neck, but not until they are dead, but that they should be taken down again, and that when they are yet alive their bowels should be taken out and burnt before their faces, and that afterwards their heads should be severed from their bodies, and their bodies be divided into four quarters, and their heads and quarters to be at the King's disposal."

It took until 1998 and the Crime and Disorder Act to get the punishment further downgraded to life imprisonment.
It has been suggested Britons fighting for the Taleban or radical Islamist preachers could be charged with treason, while the Guardian newspaper has campaigned for the repeal of parts of the law.
If the powers that be are considering a re-write of the treason laws, what should be classed as treason, and what punishments should be used?

Lying to the country as a MP/Gov Minister
Dismantling segments of our armed forces (ie Navy) and the ability of the country to defend itself.
Acting in the interests of personal gain rather than the office you represent in Parliament.

Id that sufficient to hang most of our MP's?

jagman said:
Lying to the country as a MP/Gov Minister
Dismantling segments of our armed forces (ie Navy) and the ability of the country to defend itself.
Acting in the interests of personal gain rather than the office you represent in Parliament.

Id that sufficient to hang most of our MP's?
is a forces unit that can be used to replace them while we get new ones.

hey we voted for 'em, well i didn't but somebody must have :?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Drawing and quartering should have been left in there. Malfeasance in public office should be considered a Treasonous offence.

That pretty much sums up my take on things.

I'd really like to see Bliar and Broon hung, drawn and quartered, and all their pro-republican terrorist-sympathising mates.

Edited, lets stay on topic as opposed to wandering off into frothy rant land

Any rewrite this government offers is going to be strongly slewed towards their set of "morals". Leave the treason laws alone. In fact return to about 1900 for the defination . No stoning to death or allowances for "other cultures" that way

Firstly bring it forward in up-to-date ENGLISH.

And if it worked then, why change it?

Would this be compatble with the EU Human Rights legislation?

Commute the Death sentance and give Whole Life sentance, in a 8' by 8' cell 24/7, never to leave! So they can reflect on their crimes against the state?

Do other countries have the same, or simular Treason laws?

Point is, and is not off topic, do we want to go back in time and become more like those whose values we say we despise?

If one is duly and fairly convicted of treason in a court of law, prison for life.

Just over fifty countries actively retain the death penalty, and 20 countries carried out at least one execution during 2007.
China executes more people than the rest of the world put together. No one knows exactly how many were executed in 2007, but estimates in recent years are as high as 8000.
Around 600 were put to death in 2007 outside China -with a small number of countries, including Iran, Pakistan and the USA, accounting for most of these.
While murder is the most common crime to attract the death penalty - a wide range of other offences can also lead to execution.

In Saudi Arabia for example the death penalty is mandatory for the vaguely defined offences of ''acts of sabotage and corruption on earth'', which have been used to punish those exercising their right to freedom of expression.
Curiously of the states in the USA that still have the death penalty, only
Arkansas, Georgia and Colorado have the death penalty for treason.

Re-write the treason laws, eh?

Hmm - lemme see................oh, yes!

Treasonable Offences Act 2008:

1. '......did conspire with others to watch Big Brother.......'

Penalty: not less than 30 hours continuous viewing of Ant and Dec (without toilet breaks).

2. '..............dressing as a Chav in a public place and with reckless disregard to colour co-ordination............'

Penalty: To be taken to whence you came from, dressed in Burberry, and thence to a public place, secured in the stocks and pelted with the innards of not less than 20 freshly slaughtered Meeja Studies students.

3. '........did, with malice aforethought, use the words 'diversity', 'stakeholder' and 'open a public debate' in the same sentence..........'

Penalty: Not less than 20 years imprisonment in a cell with Ambrose 'Stinky' Malone, The Human Rectal Thermometer.

How long does it take to make the spirit and the letter of the law fit for purpose?

Because if you enquire of my opinion we've consistently failed on both accounts for neigh on the past 7 years.

Treason is a very serious act that should be used sparingly, but I consider fully that it's a long way from the end of it's shelf life.

Anxone that slags off our Great and Glorious leader the Right honourable Gordon brown should be done for treason.

I think he's a great bloke and should be PM for ever...

Bugger sorry did I really just say that?

I meant anyone who slags off GB should be awarded.. with something or other.

I think he is a twot and should recieve a bit of a LHO treatment.. (Lee Harvey Oswald)

"When a Man doth compass or imagine the Death of our Lord the King, or of our Lady his Queen or of their eldest Son and Heir; or if a Man do violate the King's Companion, or the King's eldest Daughter unmarried, or the Wife the King's eldest Son and Heir; or if a Man do levy War against our Lord the King in his Realm, or be adherent to the King's Enemies in his Realm, giving to them Aid and Comfort in the Realm."
I have to wonder at the priorities there - waging war against the Crown coming after podgering the King's eldest daughter. And only the eldest, I note. Presumably the rest of them were fair game?

I don't think the law needs changed. Like any of our other laws, they just need applied in a sensible manner and enforced vigorously. Talking of which, I have a wagon load of rope and pitchforks - does anyone know the quickest way to Westminster?

NEW LABOUR have to get rid of the treason laws as they would be the first to be sent to the gallows.

Ah yes Lord Goldsmith.

The advisor on invading iraq. Yes but no but yes but!!!

Finalised act as follows:

1 Slap for informing the enemy of the state where our troops are. Jon Snow watch out.

2 Slaps for attempting to rape a member of the Royal Family.

3 slaps for attempting to kill th head of state.

Yes that will show em we mean business.

Sorry JW.

1 virgin for informing to our enemies.

2 virgins for raping a member othe Royla Family. (Have you seen some of them?)

3 virgins for killing the queen. Courtesy of princ charles.

4 virgins for selling out to anoyone.

yes that will show em. What.