Treason laws, to be rewritten?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by theoriginalphantom, Mar 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC news page, what are the laws on treason?

shamlessly copied from the BBC
    If the powers that be are considering a re-write of the treason laws, what should be classed as treason, and what punishments should be used?
  2. Lying to the country as a MP/Gov Minister
    Dismantling segments of our armed forces (ie Navy) and the ability of the country to defend itself.
    Acting in the interests of personal gain rather than the office you represent in Parliament.

Id that sufficient to hang most of our MP's?
  3. is a forces unit that can be used to replace them while we get new ones.
  4. hey we voted for 'em, well i didn't but somebody must have :?
  5. No rewrite is necessary.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Drawing and quartering should have been left in there. Malfeasance in public office should be considered a Treasonous offence.

That pretty much sums up my take on things.

I'd really like to see Bliar and Broon hung, drawn and quartered, and all their pro-republican terrorist-sympathising mates.
  7. Edited, lets stay on topic as opposed to wandering off into frothy rant land

8. I thought it was very on topic. :evil:

Bit pissed off mate.
  9. Any rewrite this government offers is going to be strongly slewed towards their set of "morals". Leave the treason laws alone. In fact return to about 1900 for the defination . No stoning to death or allowances for "other cultures" that way
  10. Firstly bring it forward in up-to-date ENGLISH.

And if it worked then, why change it?

Would this be compatble with the EU Human Rights legislation?

Commute the Death sentance and give Whole Life sentance, in a 8' by 8' cell 24/7, never to leave! So they can reflect on their crimes against the state?

Do other countries have the same, or simular Treason laws?
  11. Point is, and is not off topic, do we want to go back in time and become more like those whose values we say we despise?

If one is duly and fairly convicted of treason in a court of law, prison for life.
  12. [​IMG]

Just over fifty countries actively retain the death penalty, and 20 countries carried out at least one execution during 2007.
    China executes more people than the rest of the world put together. No one knows exactly how many were executed in 2007, but estimates in recent years are as high as 8000.
    Around 600 were put to death in 2007 outside China -with a small number of countries, including Iran, Pakistan and the USA, accounting for most of these.
    While murder is the most common crime to attract the death penalty - a wide range of other offences can also lead to execution.

In Saudi Arabia for example the death penalty is mandatory for the vaguely defined offences of ''acts of sabotage and corruption on earth'', which have been used to punish those exercising their right to freedom of expression.
    Curiously of the states in the USA that still have the death penalty, only
    Arkansas, Georgia and Colorado have the death penalty for treason.
  13. Re-write the treason laws, eh?

Hmm - lemme see................oh, yes!

Treasonable Offences Act 2008:

1. '......did conspire with others to watch Big Brother.......'

Penalty: not less than 30 hours continuous viewing of Ant and Dec (without toilet breaks).

2. '..............dressing as a Chav in a public place and with reckless disregard to colour co-ordination............'

Penalty: To be taken to whence you came from, dressed in Burberry, and thence to a public place, secured in the stocks and pelted with the innards of not less than 20 freshly slaughtered Meeja Studies students.

3. '........did, with malice aforethought, use the words 'diversity', 'stakeholder' and 'open a public debate' in the same sentence..........'

Penalty: Not less than 20 years imprisonment in a cell with Ambrose 'Stinky' Malone, The Human Rectal Thermometer.
  14. How long does it take to make the spirit and the letter of the law fit for purpose?

Because if you enquire of my opinion we've consistently failed on both accounts for neigh on the past 7 years.

Treason is a very serious act that should be used sparingly, but I consider fully that it's a long way from the end of it's shelf life.
  15. Anxone that slags off our Great and Glorious leader the Right honourable Gordon brown should be done for treason.

I think he's a great bloke and should be PM for ever...

Bugger sorry did I really just say that?

I meant anyone who slags off GB should be awarded.. with something or other.

I think he is a twot and should recieve a bit of a LHO treatment.. (Lee Harvey Oswald)