Treadmill Intervals - Trudge/Jog up the 15%

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gobbyidiot, Nov 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The new treadmills at my gym won't come up to 15% quickly, making it difficult to do a hill interval session. They claim that it is a safety feature - more likely they use a really pissy motor on the incline to save money. So I've started doing the session by keeping it at 15%. So, start the belt at a slow walk - say 5k, and then hit the up button to 15%. Once it is up wait until a minute comes around and hit the speed, which comes up a lot quicker than the incline, to say 11k. You might have to release and repress the button at 10k. A minute at 11, then back to 5k for a trudging recovery for a minute, then back to 11. I find I can average only 8k, but I can make the efforts really violent, ie 5/11, or 12/4, 13/3, 14/2. At 5 and 11 I can count every other step on the right leg as "1", "2" etc, ie, right thump, one, right thump, two. There are 34 such steps in the minute (or 136 real steps), and if you count them like that the minute goes in pretty quickly. In fact, the recovery is worse than the effort.

Sharp little workout - twenty minutes and you are a gasping mess, and the low speed means that it doesn't damage your knees, but it busts your lungs and works your legs.

Don't think I'll do it more than once a week, though. :)

2. Whats your point? :S

3. I have never really liked doing incline on the tread mill. I like treadmills and I like hillrunning. But incline on treadmill never really seen the point.

4. Boring cnut......

do some pucker running outside.........

5. Yes gobby you should go to fortwilliam for a week and run ben nevis.

If you have the misfortune of being in England you could try the lake districk or wales. Treadmills are as much a mental challenge as a physical one. With crosscountry and hill particulary you dont get board because you are conenrating on not falling its much more interesting.

6. I wish I had your problem.. for me here in Scotland, every run is a hill workout!

7. Sounds like a tough workout Gobby. I tend to use the treadmill for short (30-40 mins) aerobic sessions (eg at steady level 2) and use the bikes for all my high-end work. I might give this idea a go though; a change is as good as a rest as they say. Keep at it buddy.

8. Get yourself by the coast and run in soft sand along the beach! It sorts the men out from the men who like other men!

9. Gobby as stated it sounds like a hard work out to me I have yet to use the treadmill. I much prefer the stepper and rower 25 mins on the stepper and then 4 x 500m sprints with a one minute interval's. I usual find that this 'bursts' your lungs.

A few years ago I trained for the over 50s indoor rowing championship at my peak I was capable of sprints of 9 minutes x 3 with a two minute break a real lung burner.

Just a suggestion and an alternative to the treadmill

10. No, that's me pretty much all of the time!

11. I know that getting out and about is a damn sight more interesting, but if you are trying to make what's left of your knees last you have to ration your efforts on he road/hills.

I think it's true that typically people don't try anything like hard enough on indoor equipment, and that it is a lot harder to con yourself in the real world. But this isn't something inherent to the equipment - highly motivated people will make indoor training work and the crossover can be dramatic. I remember the famous rebellion at Oxford Uni when the rowing coach from East Germany had them spending huge quantities of time out on the water, long bike rides, heavy beastings etc. The two elite rowers from the states said, in effect, "This is balls, we could achieve more in twenty minutes on the ergo". Now the traditional attitude is that real world beastings are everything, and for most people they are. But Obree broke the hour record on the bike by absolutely burying himself on the indoor bike in training. The Scottish rugby team concentrated on real beastings (under Jim Telfer) and got their arse kicked repeatedly - turns out weights, treadmills, and exercise physiology actually means something, after all. Evander Holyfield used science, and punched the crap out of "I am Jack Dempsey" Tyson repeatedly. But on the other hand, Chris Boardman's coach Peter Keen said that from a physiological point of view most of the training Tour riders do is rubbish, Boardman did science-based training on a big treadmill. But Keen did say, "Traditional cycling training is like punishing paratroopers. But then maybe you have to be a paratrooper to win the tour". Did Boardman underachieve because of his science-based training; or did he just not take EPO, as most of the rest of the field did.

Anyway - if you've only got half an hour from shoes off to shoes on, and you want to save what's left of your joints for your retirement, there's a lot you can do on the treadmill - although, right enough, it does get tedious.

12. I can never really get my mind in gear on a treadmil - 20 mins and I've had enough! I can't physically push hard enough due to the boredom factor!

Just my opinion - a good run in the rain is far preferable!