Treadmill 1.5 mile times vs Real life 1.5 mile.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Gujy_85, Jun 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I am looking for some advice please.

I have my PCCBC coming up at the end of july, and I did a practice PFT yesterday to check my progress on fitness.

However- it was basically a thunderstorm outside, so I decided to go and do it at the gym (I know, soft right?).

Press ups/sit ups fine, then went on the treadmill- I always set the treadmill to 2% incline because someone told me that makes it more like running on the road?

Did my 800m warm up then stopped and started the treadmill up and ran until it showed 2.4km.

Did it in 8 minutes 48 seconds. Now this includes the time for the treadmill to get up to the speed and incline I wanted it to so is a bit slower than it should be if it was just the 2.4km. I also maxed out the treadmill speed in the last 600m- could have run faster if the treadmill went faster.

Basically I'm asking if this would correspond to anything like an 8.48 in real life conditions?? Because this would be a big step on in my training.

I ran a 2.4km on a track 3 weeks ago, came in around 9.40 although I was nursing a leg injury and I was very dehyrdated. It was also my first practice PFT so I didn't really know what pace to set, I definitely went off much slower than I would normally!

Clearly though if I now think "awesome, I'm an 8.48 runner" and then go off at that pace on the road and then blow out of my arrse half way that's not too practical.

So - basic question is does the treadmill 1.5 mile run at 2% incline have any bearing whatsoever on a time run in the real world, or is it giving me a wildly optimistic assessment of my fitness?
  2. Firstly I suspect your treadmill is far from calibrated.

Times should not be too far off, although you have no headwind on a treadmill, and can "jump" ie glide through the air as the treadmill conveyor passes under you. Treadmill will always be easier.
  3. It seems to be a controversial subject, lots of people have said "oh its easier, I always run faster on the treadmill".

Some people (quite a few on etc) think if you stick it on 1 or 2% incline that is about the same or harder than running on the road.

Some people go the other way and say they never go as fast on the treadmill as they can on the road!

Best thing to do is get out on the road and do 1.5 there, only way to find out!
  4. Let me get this straight.

You had the opportunity to run outside, opted instead to run indoors on a treadmill, and now you're asking how your time would correspond had you ran in the elements in the first place...

5. It was thunder and lightning outside, and my running routes outside near where I live are all cross country through dirt tracks and fields which were in very muddy state yesterday.

You can give it all the "go outside you poof" you like, but I'd like to try and make it to sandhurst without coming a croper by being stupid and taking silly risks. Sure, once I'm there I won't exactly be saying "sorry staff I'm not running now it's raining" but that's different.
  6. In answer to the original question:

"A 1% treadmill grade most accurately reflects the energetic cost of outdoor running."
    Journal of Sports Science, 1996 Aug;14(4):321-7.

Of course, this isn't the full answer, as you also need to take into account the differences in terrains, real-world gradients and psychological factors (i.e. does the end point look depressingly far away on a real PFT vs. being able to take your mind off it by watching hot chicks in music videos at the Gym!

7. @ the OP. Use the treadmill as a confidence guide. You know you can run the distance at pace, BUT only by running the distance outdoors are you propelling yourself as opposed to being propelled by the treadmill.

8. But you have ran outside recently. If not, wait until it's not thundering - simple.
  9. The best person to answer your question is you. Out you go and find out. Thunderstorms don't happen 24/7. You will have an opportunity very soon to get out there and run 2.4km. Then compare your results.
  10. Mate, you're going to pass your PFT either way with an 8.48 or 9.40. Keep it up. Concentrate on other aspects of soldiering ,leadership as well. Can you Tab?