Travelling to Serbia?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by pigdog, Dec 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have been to Bosnia with 3 RHA about 2001, it was still a fairly interesting place to be although i appreciate probably nothing compared to what some of you have seen. My grandma was Serbian and i would like to go to her birth place just outside of Belgrade with my dad. The foreign office couldn't offer any real advice.......Any advice from you guys would be very much appreciated.

2. It's probably still under the list of countries we are not supposed to visit. Ask your RAO for clarification though.

3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I know of 2 Service personnel who had been to Belgrade at least 2-3 times whilst they were still in, and had a great time there. Couldn't say enough nice things about the country and the people, how down to earth and friendly they were, how much slivovitz was consumed.

You are supposed to notify the Chain of Command as Serbia is officially 'the enemy' (along with the big red bear), but my oppo's didn't bother, and nobody was the wiser. As long as you keep yourself switched on, and don't go mouthing off to 'swarthy leather clad - Stasi types' you'll be okay (unless you are Mandelson, a train - riding civil servant, or any senior bureaucrat in the MOD - divulging state secrets is obligatory in this case).

I was told there are some lovely coastal beaches not too far out from Belgrade too, and if the pictures are anything to go by, the women are stunning too.

4. Command_doh

Edited for monged/pished up double posting.

5. Which coast? Serbia is now landlocked after Montenegro did one the other year!

6. You might be getting confused with Croatia there.

7. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

I worked there for nearly 5 years. Brilliant city - really buzzing. PM me if you need further advice.

8. I am currently in Belgrade.

No problems whatsoever for UK tourists to the place as long as you do n't try to organise a protest in favour of Kosovo independence. :D

Belgrade is a hell of alot safer than most UK market towns these days.

How it pans out with your RAO, I can't tell. Didn't bother to tell mine when I started visiting the place - and that was mid-90s.

9. I visited Belgrade in 2006 (about 8 months after leaving the mob) and Nova Sad for the Exit Festival in 2007.

It's probably one of the friendliest countries I've ever visited and in Belgrade people were actually stopping me in the street to chat because they were genuinely happy that a tourist had decided to visit there country.

And I'll agree with WC, in that I felt safer wandering around late at night (with the serbian friends I'd made within about six hours of being in the country) than I did/do in my own home time back in Wales.

10. But that's Wales for you mate. I'd feel safer wandering around in Musa Quala by on my own, with no weapons and weaing a t-shirt with a big bulleye front and rear!

11. Spent plenty of time in Belgrade. No reasons for you not to visit. Avoid political discussions if you can. The Hotel Moskva is not a bad place to stay. Down town, and actually has a reasonable breakfast. You can get to meet all sort of people there from government ministers to the mafia and all in between. Of course sometimes the government and mafia are one and the same person, so that is two for the price of one!

12. Command_doh

Nah, they were definitely on about Serbia. It's just this place they went to...beach/lido/whatever - don't know where that was. It would probably have been Brac if they were talking about Croatia, anyway.

13. Nearest coastal beaches are 9-10 hours drive from Belgrade.

However, we have a couple of big rivers running through the city limits which we pop down to of an evening for a few beers or sit next to during the summer.

14. Never had any problems at all in Belgrade. Beer can be as cheap as chips and the grub is OK - dead pig with salad, pivo and local rakija being a particular favourite of mine - as Diplomat will tell you.

Discussions of any political nature - just avoid them. Logic on some matters doesn't figure largely on the scene here.

Enjoy.

Edited once to add - as you could see from my spelling the rakija works in other places as well. 8O If you visit in winter substitute skirts up to the arrse with jeans 2 sizes too small - all complete with knee/thigh length FMB's.

I refer of course to the local ladies.

15. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

The beaches are at the Ada Lido, which is about 10min drive from town centre. Full of little princesses from May until October. WELL WORTH a visit !!!