Travelling to other countries before applying

rb_1

Clanker
Hi all,
I'm currently at university and after I finish I will be attempting selection as an OPMI. Recently I went on an educational trip to Bulgaria and at the end I decided with a friend to visit Kosovo for a day. Would this hinder my application at vetting? I was also thinking of going back to Eastern Europe for a month just backpacking (Greece, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia and Bosnia) and possibly South America if I can raise the money. Is this at all feasible? If need be I can keep a journal of where I've been all day, get records of where I've stayed, receipts for what I've done, etc. Apologies if this has been answered before, I have searched and have come up with nothing.

D

Deleted 60082

Yes, keep details of when,where etc. For subsequent clearances you will need to provide this information, along with details of anyone you have kept in contact with, from a surprisingly long list of countries, but you can probably guess which ones. Brief visits to these countires as a tourist generally shouldn't be a problems, but that 3 month 'educational visit' to DPRK might raise a few eye-brows!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
TBH, the countries mentioned probably won't even bat an eyelid these days. A couple of years before I joined in 85, a mate of mine and I decided that we'd do a month long sleeper train tour of the less salubrious countries in Eastern Europe, funnily enough all Iron Curtain countries, needless to say handing my passport over for perusal to the recruiting staff was a tad of an eye opener for them!! When asked why, just stated that I'd already been to the rest of the European countries :)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

D

Deleted 60082

Canadian Secondary Schools' Rowing Association? doubt that will pose any issues...

Hi all,
I'm currently at university and after I finish I will be attempting selection as an OPMI. Recently I went on an educational trip to Bulgaria and at the end I decided with a friend to visit Kosovo for a day. Would this hinder my application at vetting? I was also thinking of going back to Eastern Europe for a month just backpacking (Greece, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia and Bosnia) and possibly South America if I can raise the money. Is this at all feasible? If need be I can keep a journal of where I've been all day, get records of where I've stayed, receipts for what I've done, etc. Apologies if this has been answered before, I have searched and have come up with nothing.

A lengthy hiking trip seemed to be the making of this dashing gent....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29518321

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
There should be a points system applied to traveling in foreign countries, a bit like a minimum baseline matrix. For example, a short stay in a CSSRA country as part of a package holiday would accrue the same amount of points as getting blind drunk and streaking a German football match. The result would be the same in any subsequent vetting interview.

This would really give people the freedom to choose which level of relaxation they would be willing to take things when abroad. Naturally this could all be automated too, so travelers waiting to return to the UK could tick off a number activities that they'd been involved in so the subsequent interviews would be so much more focused.

There should be a points system applied to traveling in foreign countries, a bit like a minimum baseline matrix. For example, a short stay in a CSSRA country as part of a package holiday would accrue the same amount of points as getting blind drunk and streaking a German football match. The result would be the same in any subsequent vetting interview.

This would really give people the freedom to choose which level of relaxation they would be willing to take things when abroad. Naturally this could all be automated too, so travelers waiting to return to the UK could tick off a number activities that they'd been involved in so the subsequent interviews would be so much more focused.

Genius.

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks.

Just to explore this idea further for no particular reason, it could be possible to be allocated 'vetting points' which would be spent every time you travelled abroad. This idea would gain popularity if it was possible to build up points annually and add to them.

For example, if you spent all your leave for a decade doing voluntary work in Devon, you'd accrue enough 'vetting points' to spend 2 weeks at an auto-asphyxia seminar being run at a Thai brothel in Cuba, no questions asked by the vetting officers.

Good behaviour should be rewarded after all.

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
you mean this isn't currently allowed...?

As far as I know, this issue has been worryingly avoided by the Corps. It's almost like the top brass wish to sweep it under the carpet.

People could be falling foul of the vetting regime every time they suspend themselves from their door handle by the neck whilst having a death-w@nk without even realising it!

As far as I know, this issue has been worryingly avoided by the Corps. It's almost like the top brass wish to sweep it under the carpet.

People could be falling foul of the vetting regime every time they suspend themselves from their door handle by the neck whilst having a death-w@nk without even realising it!

Such sheltered lives, the poor souls who resort to such amateur practices.

Surely the advanced technique of buggering a swan whilst slamming it's neck with the door at the critical moment to induce "clentching" is still taught?

Of course this can only be indulged in abroad, due to the violent assault upon what would be the property of HM The Queen in the UK.

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep, your vetting should go if you're messing round with swans in the UK. That level of beastliness shouldn't be tolerated.

It's not the same as relaxing through participating in wolfbagging or enjoying a refreshing 'Coney Island cream swap' with multiple partners.

Yep, your vetting should go if you're messing round with swans in the UK. That level of beastliness shouldn't be tolerated.

It's not the same as relaxing through participating in wolfbagging or enjoying a refreshing 'Coney Island cream swap' with multiple partners.

I fear to even think about entering "coney island cream swap" into google.......

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
I see you don't need to investigate wolfbagging further!?

An activity not too dissimilar to tug o' war but which you'd hate to see at Corps day.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I see you don't need to investigate wolfbagging further!?

An activity not too dissimilar to tug o' war but which you'd hate to see at Corps day.
Offhand, I can't think of a more appropriate team competition for Corps Day, except that the ******* reptiles would sweep the board.

Latest Threads