Travelling to Germany HELP!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by CMTs_rock, Aug 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm travelling to Munster via ferry in my car this weekend, can anyone please let me know the cheapest, easiest way to go as i've never drove to Germany.
    Web sites, cheap companies anything will help thanx

2. I normally use www.ferrysavers.co.uk, who cross check all the ferry companies' prices. I'm afraid that the best way to avoid high prices is to plan early, so unfortunately, having left it a bit late, you might get stung by a high price this time. Normally if you book about 3-4 weeks before you're due to travel you can knock off about half the normal cost (sometimes more).

If that last web site isn't much use, try Googling 'Cheap Ferries' and see what it comes up with.

3. Cheers mate, i would of booked earlier if I knew I was going....typical

Do you know the best route? i've been told Harwich to Hook of Holland?

4. CMTs Rock. I've got a great idea. Buy a map. Better still, you're sat at a PC with internet access right? Of course you are. Then google something. Maybe I should ask my wife via a new ARRSE thread what's she cooking for dinner!

5. go thru the chunnel , cheapest then over to sunny munster , takes about 5-6 hours , or 4 if the wifes sleeping

6. Norfolk line ferries is the cheapest route across the channel - Dover - Dunkirk - F***** chunnel is the most expensive. Book thru forces travel and you get a few quid saving, go at midnight and it will cost you around 29 euro's then turn up for the 2200 or 2000 or 1800 crossing and get on for no extra - as I did last week, just be polite and say "any chance to get on this crossing love" works a treat

7. According to your location you're already in Munster you muppet... :lol:

8. cheers for the help guys

9. You forgot to tell us where you're driving from...If you're from oop North it may be worth your while going Hull - Rotterdam, if memory serves me correctly it's about 13hrs overnight. Sounds like a long trip, but I found it to be a welcome break between two long stints of driving. If you're anywhere south of Lincolnshire you're best off doing Dover-Calais.

10. Don't confuse the poor lad... :wink:

11. If you are going to be a frequent traveller, purchase the 10 ticket deal from speedferries, i think it is 240 quid at the moment, but they sometimes sell for 190, the advantage of this is even if the price is top wack you don't pay any different, it just comes of your ticket allowance and if you miss your ferry then it only costs 10 quid to change and you don't have to pay the difference in ticket price.

Sparky