• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Travelling as a VM

Had an interest for a while with becoming a VM but the only thing that puts me off is being based in the UK or Germany, is it generally the case or do you get moved around all over the world?

Would like to know really.

Ta.

well like with most there is scope to go to cyprus, canada etc, slots in these areas are obviously limited, most postings will be UK and Germany. i think we can all dream though eh :D
sorry i cant help anymore than that

My expereince tells me that the posting is importent, but more so are the tours you get.

I had 4 postings:

Osnabruck
Belize
London
Fallingbostel

But out of all that I travelled to:

Canada
Denmark
Bavaria X3 (Snow Queen)
NI x2
Kenya
Gulf (first time)

Plus all over the Uk and Germany.

You pay your money you take your chance.

Ask yourself what you are trying to acheive?

If you want to travel and see the world the Army may not be for you as you can see a whole lot more if you do it yourself. Buy a ticket and a bergan and get walking if you want to travel as the Army may train you and send you to Hohne for 3 years, trust me, not the travelling you want to do.

If you have any more questions just post them here, either I or somebody else will answer them just balance the answers as everyone has had a different expereince.

Think about it before you join otherwise you could be very dissapointed and bitter towards the army but thats becasue your expectations were too high.

Although travel isnt everything learning about yourself and other people is a massive part about joining up.

Whats the life like?

I've got the opportunity to go into the AAC or train as a VM. The VM gives me more qualifications and scope for different jobs after the Armed forces but if I'm in some hell hole in the UK with dirty pits, shit people and crap work, I'm not going to want to commit a length of my life to it.

So far the AAC is on top but it leaves me with no qualifications of any use when I go onto civvie street 12 years or so down the line. Not something I want to worry about at 30 years of age.

BennnY said:
Whats the life like?

I've got the opportunity to go into the AAC or train as a VM. The VM gives me more qualifications and scope for different jobs after the Armed forces but if I'm in some hell hole in the UK with dirty pits, s*** people and crap work, I'm not going to want to commit a length of my life to it.

So far the AAC is on top but it leaves me with no qualifications of any use when I go onto civvie street 12 years or so down the line. Not something I want to worry about at 30 years of age.
dont think 12 years
think 3 years
if you dont like it leave you have lost nothing
the life, after the training is what you make it, good people, hard work and good times
there are plenty of threads on what army life is like just find them and make your own mind up
the guys on this site have done some serious service time and can be rather jaded and look at life very differently then you may so mix and match and make a plan
get a plan get ahead

mate
what have you to loose, your current life sounds shti
you have a choice do something about it or not
like i say 3 years is nothing if you dont like it do your time an go back to your current life
whats the worse that can happen
appart from being shot

Right well its all up to me now, there's one last question really.

What rank will I be after fully trained? Wondered as I'm just wondering about the rates of pay

cook is right its what you make it, although you must be prepared to serve time in UK and germany, UK the majority go home at weekends, whereas in germany you will spend most of your weekends in LAD, SQN bars getting smashed and stumbling aroung town at 6 in the morning looking for a gyros shop. ive served 3 postings in germany now, its not as bad as people say. just be aware if you are lucky enough to get a sunshine posting it might well be your only one!

after training as a VM you will be the high rank of Craftsman :D depending on how good you are promotion can be anything from 1-4 yrs away

BennnY said:
Right well its all up to me now, there's one last question really.

What rank will I be after fully trained? Wondered as I'm just wondering about the rates of pay
The mighty and generaly underated post of Craftsman.
only slightly higher then snake %ollocks.

So what is the pay for that then?

Don't want to sound like I'm just in it for money but obviously that has to be a priority.

benny, there are many websites offering this information if you choose to look. try www.army.mod.uk then go to the serving soldier link then onto money matters, then to soldier rates of pay. and there you have it, im not sure what level a Cfn starts at but basic entrants wages starts at £33.32 and private level 1 is £39.24.

Current payscales are here:

Army Pay Scales

Not sure what scale you start at or come out of your trade training on but I'm sure someone out there will enlighten you.

FYI this is just basic pay, If your posted abroad you may recieve a daily allowance and now the Gov has introduced a tax break for certain Op. Theatres, plus quite a few more allowance here and there.

and info on being a VM:

VM Page

I'm a Vm have been for 19 years, I'd be lieing to say its the best trade in REME / Army but again can't deny that I've experienced and seen a whole lotta stuff comapired to the lads I left school with, who mostly havn't left the outskirts of my town let alone been abroad.

I've done 7 years in Germany, 6 years in UK and 4 years in Ireland, with tours / exercises in Cyprus, France, Denmark, Belize, Canada, Iraq (twice), Bosnia, Kosovo, Greece, Poland, America, Austria, Kuwait & Saudi and I'm off to afganistan next year. So dont be under the illusion that you will be sat in UK / Germany for your whole career, especially with the pace of tours these days.

I have also served with AAC as a VM but what exactly are you interested in doing in it?

Pilot or refuling?

There's not a lot of scope for travel at all compared with my dayys (groan....another oldie)
As a VM B I was stationed during 15 years in
UK (Lichfield, Blandford, Taunton, Windsor and Plymouth)

Cyprus (Famagusta and Dhekelia with a total of 8 months exercises in Libya)

UK, Pembroke Dock (Exercise in Germany), Regents Park, Tidworth (Ex in Cyprus and Libya and 3 month detachment to HMS Fearless)Hythe

Hong Kong ( with courses in Singapore)

UK Tidworth (Exercises in Cyprus ) Bulford (4 deployments to NI)and Glasgow (In heaven as a PSI with the TA.)

paul2005 said:
Current payscales are here:

Army Pay Scales

Not sure what scale you start at or come out of your trade training on but I'm sure someone out there will enlighten you.

FYI this is just basic pay, If your posted abroad you may recieve a daily allowance and now the Gov has introduced a tax break for certain Op. Theatres, plus quite a few more allowance here and there.

and info on being a VM:

VM Page

I'm a Vm have been for 19 years, I'd be lieing to say its the best trade in REME / Army but again can't deny that I've experienced and seen a whole lotta stuff comapired to the lads I left school with, who mostly havn't left the outskirts of my town let alone been abroad.

I've done 7 years in Germany, 6 years in UK and 4 years in Ireland, with tours / exercises in Cyprus, France, Denmark, Belize, Canada, Iraq (twice), Bosnia, Kosovo, Greece, Poland, America, Austria, Kuwait & Saudi and I'm off to afganistan next year. So dont be under the illusion that you will be sat in UK / Germany for your whole career, especially with the pace of tours these days.

I have also served with AAC as a VM but what exactly are you interested in doing in it?

Pilot or refuling?
Pilot would be nice in due time.

Its with the AAC, you don't earn a lot of qualifications and I know even at my age that you need them to get anywhere these days.. As a VM you earn a whole range of qualifications which will put me in good stead for the future. What I don't want to do is go into the AAC, decide I hate it after 4 years, leave and have nothing, nor do I want to go in, leave when I'm 35-40 and again be in the situation I am now.

As a VM I get so much more, i'm a technical person and I DO like mechanics, hense the queries i'm facing now..

I guess I'm just being greedy. A lot of people go to work 9-5 doing crap jobs going home every night with their wife wishing they'd done something else. Atleast with this job I'm always going to be out of my town, always with good people, always experiencing new things.

My question should have been what is the scope like for touring, I'm afraid I'm not the best with Military Terms yet.

Aslong as I get the chance to move around the country and world. I'll be as happy as can be. :D

well benny i can tell ya ya will definatly travel even if your posting is uk or germany based. as you can see from other peoples posts they have travelled to alot of places, and tours these days are coming in thick and fast so as long as you dont mind the hot and sandy places i think u will be fine!!!!

from my units in germany ive visited the usual places, bavaria x3 on adventure training summer and winter. croatia adventure training. bosina, iraq, canada. not as many as others but its better than nowt. there is also scope for kenya, falklands and other places.

let us know what you decide.