Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travelgall's Guide to Precious Metals and Coins

As this is the only thread I can find to do with coins, maybe there is a collector or two on here who can help? My F-I-L turned this up in his shed drawer, anyone shed (sorry...) any light? Tried Google, lots of things that look a bit like it but no matches.

CEB57351-6C7E-4443-AB2E-8F285F498B6E.jpeg

Just ran it through an internet identification website. Hmmmm.....

E5AD77C8-A939-434F-B3E3-525A5A80001A.jpeg

not too convinced that’s right.

As this is the only thread I can find to do with coins, maybe there is a collector or two on here who can help? My F-I-L turned this up in his shed drawer, anyone shed (sorry...) any light? Tried Google, lots of things that look a bit like it but no matches.

View attachment 514474

Did you ever identify the coin?
It looks medieval, maybe French?
The cross looks a knights Templar/crusader states.

No, tried a few websites but nothing quite the same. Gave up after that!

I made the mistake of starting to grade my coin collection. It has taken me down the rabbit hole if spreadsheets and deciding what to do with low grade silver coins?
Depending on where I draw the line, it could be a couple of hundred quid on eBay.

I have used the Coinoscope app on my phone (free) to ID some of my coins.

Might be worth a shot?
Well that was an excellent steer sir! It appears to be some sort of French Blanc. The exact coin I have not yet worked out, but it’s a lot closer than I was!

philc

LE

Silver bullion is spiking.

Big run on physical silver.

This is running with the Reddit GameStop crowd, they feel the price was to low so are buying it up, not sure this is such a good idea, an undervalued game company is not the same as a long term position on a commodity.

Of course if you hold Silver might be a good time to sell.

This is running with the Reddit GameStop crowd, they feel the price was to low so are buying it up, not sure this is such a good idea, an undervalued game company is not the same as a long term position on a commodity.

Of course if you hold Silver might be a good time to sell.

I agree the Reddit crowd is a big factor, but silver has been edging up through out 2020 and spiked in August(?).

The demand for iSilver drives up its needs for physical silver to cover the paper certs.
This inturn drives up mining stock, which inturn drives up interest in silver.
Bullion dealers restrict sales incase they can't replace stock at the right price point.
Which inturn drives up demand.

Just goes to show the power of social media... But who is behind the WSB cunning plans? Ordinary Joe's or Hedge funds?

philc

LE
I agree the Reddit crowd is a big factor, but silver has been edging up through out 2020 and spiked in August(?).

The demand for iSilver drives up its needs for physical silver to cover the paper certs.
This inturn drives up mining stock, which inturn drives up interest in silver.
Bullion dealers restrict sales incase they can't replace stock at the right price point.
Which inturn drives up demand.

Just goes to show the power of social media... But who is behind the WSB cunning plans? Ordinary Joe's or Hedge funds?

I would go with Silver went up due to uncertainty during Covid and some where to put funds, that uncertainty is receding so price dropping or was, the pricing going up again at a guess is Reddit etc.

I would go with Silver went up due to uncertainty during Covid and some where to put funds, that uncertainty is receding so price dropping or was, the pricing going up again at a guess is Reddit etc.

Uncertain times does push up the price of bullion, and I was glad I had a stack last year.

Silver is no GameStop and I find it odd that Reddit has the weight to change its price.

philc

LE
Uncertain times does push up the price of bullion, and I was glad I had a stack last year.

Silver is no GameStop and I find it odd that Reddit has the weight to change its price.

Again a guess but those Reddit boys are proberley sitting on handsome profits from GameStop, money burning on their collective pockets and are thinking lets go again.

Again a guess but those Reddit boys are proberley sitting on handsome profits from GameStop, money burning on their collective pockets and are thinking lets go again.

Good point, and silver is nice and shiny and loved by pirates (which they kind of are).

I might put some junk silver on eBay and cash in on the spike.

I bet they aren't now that the share price has halved:

The stupid, greedy cúnts deserve everything they get. I bet WallStreetBets cashed his shares a day or two ago and laughed all the way to the bank, leaving the anti-capitalists on Reddit holding the baby.

One of the most obvious pump and dump schemes in history. The only noteworthy part of it is the scale and preying on some of the gullible lefty knobs on Reddit (of which there are many).

I bet they aren't now that the share price has halved:

The stupid, greedy cúnts deserve everything they get. I bet WallStreetBets cashed his shares a day or two ago and laughed all the way to the bank, leaving the anti-capitalists on Reddit holding the baby.

One of the most obvious pump and dump schemes in history. The only noteworthy part of it is the scale and preying on some of the gullible lefty knobs on Reddit (of which there are many).

This has been brewing on Reddit for months and months. Those that bought in low are now set for life. Those that came late and bought high will be left holding the bag, but those to that bought high where mostly hedge funds who had shorted it.
Apparently anything over $20 a share is a loss for the shorting hedge funds. Even with a price of $90 WSB still wins as the original HF shorted at $20.

That said, some Hedge Funds will have shorted at $300+ and will make massive profits once they buy back a sub $100.

This has been brewing on Reddit for months and months. Those that bought in low are now set for life. Those that came late and bought high will be left holding the bag, but those to that bought high where mostly hedge funds who had shorted it.
Apparently anything over $20 a share is a loss for the shorting hedge funds. Even with a price of $90 WSB still wins as the original HF shorted at $20.

That said, some Hedge Funds will have shorted at $300+ and will make massive profits once they buy back a sub $100.
Agreed. Those who know how to pump and dump (those making the memes on Reddit) and those who bought early (shorters who could see this coming) will make a killing. The anti-capitalist mongs who fell for it and brought late when it was fashionable will dip out.

Frighteningly, there are still a cult like few on Reddit who haven't realised they have been done and are still talking about holding, or how a lower price means more buying. Mental.

Latest Threads