Travelgall's Guide to Precious Metals and Coins

CowboyBob

War Hero
Finally sorting out some old stuff I inherited from my dad,
Included asre are several uncirculated proof sets of coins but fairly obscure
Such as Royal Government of Bhutan 1975 proof coin set, also the 1974 set.
1985 Indira Ghadhi commemorative set 1985
1977 Royal Canadian Mint set
1971 Eisenhower Silver Dollar

There are others but just to give a flavour.
Looking at the paperwork with them, only a few have any silver in them, maybe 50% of some of the larger coins in each set.

Have no desire to keep hold of them, what's the best way to sel them?

Also a Falkland Island's Liberation Crown if anybody s interested in one.

There's a fair amount of old foreign coins and notes, all been circulated but I suspect that they're only good for toy money for Tiny Miss F
I have always used eBay to sell coins. Much bigger audience than a local auction house.

Don't discount the paper notes, check them all with prices on eBay. As we move to cashless societies notes and coins will become more collectable.

I inherited my dad's coin collection too. I am still auditing it and have found some great coins hidden in the normal coins, some medieval, a Roman coin, a 1722 2 Real coin, etc. So far the value is at £1300, I gave my sister some of the high value coins as part of her inheritance so we would be equal.

Last edited:

Looking at the paperwork with them, only a few have any silver in them, maybe 50% of some of the larger coins in each set.

There's a fair amount of old foreign coins and notes, all been circulated but I suspect that they're only good for toy money for Tiny Miss F
Collector's items, not worth a huge amount, but if you can find a reputable (!) dealer in Edinburgh that may be the way to go; otherwise, find a decent guide to pricing and put them on eBay. You'd be surprised what some collectors will pay for some of the most innocuous coins, to fill the gaps in their collections. There may well also be some serious collectables in your oddments.

CamNostos

Old-Salt
Anyone care to comment on current prices? I'm not buying either gold or silver for the foreseeable but I'm pretty happy with my current stack. Would be good to revive this thread in the current uncertainty.

Over the last couple of years I've been buying silver from Silvertrader in Newcastle. Its noticeable that in the last week or so he's pretty much out of stock.

CamNostos

Old-Salt
Over the last couple of years I've been buying silver from Silvertrader in Newcastle. Its noticeable that in the last week or so he's pretty much out of stock.
Yeah I got some Britannia’s off him last year. Good dealer - seems like a fairly small operation though.

Anyone care to comment on current prices? I'm not buying either gold or silver for the foreseeable but I'm pretty happy with my current stack. Would be good to revive this thread in the current uncertainty.
Clipboard01.jpg

Not too many other stocks have a recent history like that.

Personally I am glad I have enough of a stack to run our family home for three or four months. I feel my choice has been vindicated by the current crisis, but I wish silver would go up in price.

Many of the main London dealers are out of stock but offering a low price to sellers.

CamNostos

Old-Salt
Personally I am glad I have enough of a stack to run our family home for three or four months. I feel my choice has been vindicated by the current crisis, but I wish silver would go up in price.

Many of the main London dealers are out of stock but offering a low price to sellers.
Why do you think there a disconnect between spot/supply and the apparent demand for silver?

Why do you think there a disconnect between spot/supply and the apparent demand for silver?
No idea really. Though I think silver bullion market in the UK is small compared to the industrial use of silver. So demand by the few will not really impact the over all price.

With the price of gold going through the roof (c $1300 an ounce) I think there's been some panic buying of silver* by folk with smallish pockets desperate to stash some "treasure ", post virus I'm gambling on plenty being dumped back into the market.

* Silver around £13 an ounce.

With the price of gold going through the roof (c $1300 an ounce) I think there's been some panic buying of silver* by folk with smallish pockets desperate to stash some "treasure ", post virus I'm gambling on plenty being dumped back into the market.

* Silver around £13 an ounce.
I don’t think so, those who can afford and buy silver are probably slightly more intelligent than those who cannot. After buying silver and the price goes down , I think many will just keep hold of their little nest egg, for the next time.

However I did post on the COVID 19 page that, for example BullionRock has had no gold or silver coin for sale for two months. Their only silver is a 30Kg bar for 11.900 quid. Not many people have that much cash , plus the VAT as BR are based in Gurnsey. Even how would you post a 30 Kg bar to the UK? Cost and security.

magumba

Old-Salt

Maybe buy tiny Miss F something for the future

Maybe buy tiny Miss F something for the future

As recommended by the Sun...it reminds me of a highly dubious stall in my local shopping centre which promised to buy your unwanted (yeah right) gold at top notch prices.
The same stall was later converted to a takeaway sweetcorn emporium.
It was a toss up as to which was the stinkiest...

magumba

Old-Salt
Hmm i dont care who recommended it,,,,,have you seen the price he's offering of some of the middle east currency notes ...and as for gold stalls.....they are just about to make a reappearance....best get in quick

magumba

Old-Salt
I spent 1k buying job lots of watch dials and movements a couple of years ago solely for the gold...now would be a perfect time for me to sell and thats not taking into acount that some are worth far more (several magnitudes in some cases) as dials for repairers and restorers (and the movements can be profitable as well) ,same with pen nibs the complete pen is sometimes worth an awful lot more than the scrap value of the nib

Latest Threads