Travel Claims To/From Boarding School

My daughter started at boarding school at the start of this academic year. I understand that I can put in a travel claim for each occasion that I drop her off or collect her, less the first fifty miles. However the clerks at my place seem unsure as to the mechanism for claiming; ranging from 'Just put in a 1771' to 'I have to ring Glasgow for authority', which somehow never happens. So far I have made 7 return trips since last September and it costs rather a lot in petrol! Can any pay gurus out there please give me the DS answer as to how I go about claiming this? Also do I need to have business insurance to be able to claim and what will happen in the post - JPA era?

Many thanks in advance

Berlin 104s

I have never heard of any of the parents from my school (DYRMS) claiming an allowance for car travel, we dont even get train tickets anymore, the only thing we can claim is three return flights per year if we are based out of the country, but thats not to say it doesnt exist...

JSP 752

09.0130. Travel Expenses for the Child. Travel costs for the child between the school and the parental home may be reimbursed in accordance with the regulations for School Children’s Visits in Chapter 4 of this JSP and JSP 800 Volume 2 Part 2 Chapter 9 (Defence Movement and Transportation Manual).
the following para is referred to above

04.1210. Method of Travel. The methods of travel that may be utilised for SCVs are as follows:

a. When the Service parent is stationed in the UK or NI:

(1) Rail warrant/Service arranged ticket.

(2) Private motor vehicle and claim MMA at CLR.

(3) Where the Service parent is stationed in NI or the GB Islands, over water journeys may be undertaken by air and are to be by the most economical means from the nearest airport to the child’s school. RAF Air Transport (AT) or MOD charter aircraft is to be used unless it is unavailable. Where civil air travel is used for SCVs it is to be by civil scheduled air services, in economy class, unless specifically authorised for a higher class by Defence Passenger Reservation Centre (DPRC).

(4) Coach or civil air in circumstances other than sub-paragraph 04.1210a(3). A Service person who exercises this option is not to receive Service arranged flights. They are to arrange and pay for the journey by coach or civil air and may claim actual costs for each entitled child up to the cost of MMA at CLR for the full journey.

b. When the Service parent is stationed overseas:

(1) Rail warrant/Service arranged ticket.

(2) AT or MOD charter aircraft unless it is unavailable. Where civil air travel is used for SCVs it is to be in economy class unless specifically authorised for a higher class by DPRC.

(3) Terminal costs to and from the point of arrival/departure within the UK for actual coach, taxi, airfare, school owned or provided transport, private car journeys (at MMA at CLR) and any congestion charges are refundable within the cost of the rebated rail fare for the same journey.

04.1211. Carry Forward. Entitlement to any SCV may not normally be carried over from one academic year to another. Exceptionally and with the CO’s approval, the entitlement to the final SCV in the academic year may be held over for up to 3 months due to educational requirements or genuine family reasons. Such an approved delayed SCV must be completed by the return of the child to the UK before the end of the 3-month period. Approvals to go beyond this 3-month period are not to be granted under any circumstances.
So actually, it the same as making any claim - ie. if you use your own car, make a claim as you would any other. There is a bit of a transition a the moment between the old system and JPA. If you are not on JPA, most units are still using 1771's. You clerks should know all this. (I did say should)

Edited to add link: http://www.army.mod.uk/linkedfiles/..._cos_mm_all_army/jsp752ver6.doc#ch4_section12

I was RAPC/AGC......"ring Glasgow for authority"??!...not in my day!......you simply follow the current rules....which then were covered in the RAAC!!.and I'll bet the rules haven't changed that much!.....

....and if a claim is paid 'outside' of the reg's...well, as long as it is still within the units annual travel budget, I'll bet Glasgow wont even look at it.

Many thanks for the prompt and useful advice. I intend to be all over this tomorrow; like a tramp on hot scoff!

Kind Regards

Berlin 104s

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bootifull Army Pay, Claims & JPA 5
rebel_with_a_cause Army Pay, Claims & JPA 2
S Army Reserve 8