Travel claim for guard duty during Christmas leave.

I've been on leave since the second week of December, got call from camp today (shouldn't have picked up i know) saying that due to illness one guy can't do guard on the 29th of December and that the SSM has spammed me for it. Now i'm not at my home address for Christmas which means it's going to be a 500 odd mile round trip for me to get to camp and back effectively loosing 3 days of leave due to travel and the actual duty of which i was wondering can i claim for the 2 days back (8am 29th -8am 30th) ill be doing along with the petrol or am i only going to get one day back, i already get GYH for the property me and the miss' share if that makes a difference.

Give the CSM a call and explain your predicament. Much better than asking people on here.

Of course you can always tell your CSM, next year when you put your claim in, that eodmatt said that you could claim Official Duty Rate for your journey as well as a couple of overnight stops on full subby.

Did you put the address you are at now on your leave request?
Yes i did.

Pretty sure it'll be for your CSM to authorise it. By not bitching and cracking on I guess that'll be more likely. Shit sandwich tho buddy.
Well the sgt that rang me said that the SSM was sorting my leave out, it's shit i know but its better than the 25th or the 31st guard, but if i can get money for the journey i had not planned and its putting me out by about 90 quid and 3 days i'lll claim it what i'm more bothered is if i can reclaim two days and not one of leave back because technically im working both days. What pisses me off is there are enough guys that have fucked up (Drink Driving, Battery etc) in the last couple of days before leave and they dont get dicked for guard. I'm not bitching (too much) haha.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Put your case forward in a reasonable manner, but to be fair, as soon as you were told what the situationw was you should have said: "I'm 500 miles away..... Find someone else." and stuck to your guns.

Whatever happened to pinging the first guy to come through the Guardroom?

"Morning mate, off anywhere nice?"
"Yeah actually."
"Not any more you're not."
"****."

That's why for 30 minutes after every Guard Mount, no-one would dare leave camp in case someone hadn't turned up and they got spammed.

Put your case forward in a reasonable manner, but to be fair, as soon as you were told what the situationw was you should have said: "I'm 500 miles away..... Find someone else." and stuck to your guns.

Whatever happened to pinging the first guy to come through the Guardroom?

"Morning mate, off anywhere nice?"
"Yeah actually."
"Not any more you're not."
"****."

That's why for 30 minutes after every Guard Mount, no-one would dare leave camp in case someone hadn't turned up and they got spammed.
Not forgetting the old.. "What are you up to this weekend mate?"
"I'm off to go see the..."
"Guess again!"
".....****"

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wow that sucks ballz, when we are on leave you can't call us back for bullshit like that. Has to be for real emergencys not whims of some ********.
Well.... They can call you back for that.... but it's just polite not to, and to find someone closer to home. Plus there's always someone that spends Christmas in the block by themselves. Instead of having to do a Welfare check on them on Christmas day to make sure they've not slit their wrists, why not get them on guard instead? :D

There must be a lot more to this than the original poster is letting on.

Either the SSM is a complete ****, or the OP is in the naughty book and this is him being made to pay his dues.

I'm guessing the latter.

It would also be very amusing if the SSM reads this thread: if any of the details are correct, then it will be easy for him to break the OP's OPSEC.

I'm sure the DS answer to the OPs predicament is in JSP 760.

However, I'm on leave and at home, but I'm sure some kind poster will dig it out for you.

In the meantime - let the "stagging on" jokes begin! :)

Theres a simple answer to this problem people get cheap houses every month get to go home every night and should get pinged for stupid things like this, as somebody who lives up the line ends up loosing a lot more of there leave than someone who can spit from there front door to the guardroom. Im just glad we have MPGS.

Theres a simple answer to this problem people get cheap houses every month get to go home every night and should get pinged for stupid things like this, as somebody who lives up the line ends up loosing a lot more of there leave than someone who can spit from there front door to the guardroom. Im just glad we have MPGS.
What?

I used Google Translate Monglish settings and it came up with this:

Google Monglish Translation said:
There's a simple answer to this problem. People living in cheap Service Families Accommodation should get pinged to do stupid things like this. Someone who lives further away will lose more of their leave than someone who lives locally. I'm just glad we have MPGS
In general I agree but being a pedantic ****** with time on my hands I would also say that SLA is cheaper than SFA so the cost of accommodation isn't really a factor. Singlies 'live' in their accommodation the same as pads live in their SFA and during leave no-one is obliged to stay in either SFA or SLA. Under most circumstances it would make sense to get a pad to cover odd duties during leave but as a previous poster has alluded to perhaps the OP owes the SSM a few odd jobs.

Z

Zarathustra

Well.... They can call you back for that.... but it's just polite not to, and to find someone closer to home. Plus there's always someone that spends Christmas in the block by themselves. Instead of having to do a Welfare check on them on Christmas day to make sure they've not slit their wrists, why not get them on guard instead? :D

A few months ago I was in our Admin Sgts office, one of the Sgts from the LAD came in and told him that the blokes from the LAD wouldn't give any of their mobile numbers until they got the RSMs number in return. Their reason for this was that they didn't trust them not to use their numbers to call them at a weekend or over leave because they were short a bloke for duty.

In the end the LAD guys did hand their numbers in because they were promised they would only be used for recalling them in the event of an emergency and the numbers would be kept in a sealed envelope locked away so the Sgt I/W couldn't just pick a number to dick people for duty.

All our guys doing "holiday duties" are split in to 2 groups; xmas group & new year group, each group covering from x to x dates. Everyone in said group has to turn up at the guard room at 8am in case a person doesn't turn up for duty. If they turn up then bonus, you've got a buckshee day off on top of the 2 weeks before and after your duty group dates. Most bods for duties supplied by pads as most of us stay in Germany for the holidays anyway, letting the singlies cut away back to the UK.

Seems a bit fairer to me.

Z

Zarathustra

Our rear ops group (rear party) are covering ours. No doubt people will return to find kit missing thanks to one of the many master keys knocking around.

Sent from the thunder box on ARRSE app

Latest Threads