Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Watcher, Mar 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone recommend good travel books from the Victorian era of exploration? I recall reading a good one about Afganistan written by a cavalry officer but can't remeber the details.
  2. Gertrude Bell, a woman born to great privilege and wealth, wrote some interesting books about the Mideast ('Syria: The Desert and the Sown' for example) and worked with T. E. Lawrence to draw up the borders of modern Iraq.
  3. Rumpelstiltskin,

You are a star!! I couldn't remember the name but could remember the painting (one of the first to depict a cigarette).

Thank you.

4. Lord Curzon's memoirs include some detail on Afghanistan. A very good read. Google it, I don;t have the title to hand and my library is in disarray.
  5. While not memoirs, you could do worse for regional japes than The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk & Bayonets to Lhasa by Peter Fleming.
  6. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're after, but what about 'From Sea to Sea' by Rudyard Kipling?
  7. There are also many books written by soldier and adventurer Sir Richard Francis Burton who traveled through Africa and Asia in the mid 1800s and defied Victorian sensibility. Some of them include: 'Wanderings in West Africa', 'Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al-Madinah and Meccah', 'Goa, and the Blue Mountains', 'Unexplored Syria'.
  8. Anything by Peter Hopkirk is pretty good. The Great Game stands out, but Setting the East Ablaze, Trespassers on the Roof of the World and On Secret Service East of Constantinople are all great reads.
    They are also very useful as a starting point, as Hopkirk mentions many publications he has drawn on to write his books.