Travel allowance

Is it authorised? If military transport is provided I suspect probably not.

Someone else may provide the answer as to whether you need business class insurance in order to get reimbursed for fuel.

Is it authorised? If military transport is provided I suspect probably not.

Someone else may provide the answer as to whether you need business class insurance in order to get reimbursed for fuel.
Hi yes it's authorised .he's using his own car to play at different camps down south .he's based in Scotland

I have a feeling that we're not using the same interpretation of "authorised" otherwise you wouldn't have asked the original question.

In my interpretation, he will have been told that he can use his own car and that he will be paid for the fuel. This can happen if the Army can't provide transport or travel by rail, paid for with a warrant, is impractical. If this is a team sport, the Army will likely provide a minibus and driver so the whole team travels together economically.

The soldier might have been provided with a place on said minibus but asked and been granted permission to travel independently (maybe to drop in on a girlfriend). In this case he shouldn't be able to claim for travel costs but it'll depend on circumstances.

Last edited:
Ah I see..hes based in leuchars.his football team are based in Aldershot.hes given his team schedule and for instance. Last week travelled from leuchars to Winchester and met the team there. They wontcsupply a minibus from home ground to leuchars and back for one person .so he uses his car. He does pop home on the way back home .but would be in trouble using a job car to do that .

Leuchars to Aldershot...

If I were his boss, it's unlikely that I'd give him permission to drive there. It's too far. Train or train/fly.

You have to consider Duty of Care. If he fell asleep at the wheel, the person authorising the journey would have his head on a block.

It doesn’t matter what advice you get here. At the end of the day you need an admin instruction or preferably an email from you RAO authorising you to claim. If you get a positive response you are likely to be able to claim MMA.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The matches would also need to appear on part 1 orders stating what the soldier was doing and that he/she was on duty for that period. Your Combat HR person is the go to expert (I hope that's not the OP).

Does the MoD refund the additional insurance requirement?
If not then I wouldn't use my own car at all. If they want you down there, train then hire car for the duration.

Not much has changed in the Army if they can't sort the bloke out instead of making it difficult.

If not then I wouldn't use my own car at all. If they want you down there, train then hire car for the duration.

Not much has changed in the Army if they can't sort the bloke out instead of making it difficult.
Well considering that the additional insurance is only about £20.00 (if that) and MMA covers all aspects of car travel not just fuel, it's up to you.

In short you are entitled to travel at public expense, and in most cases the Pam identifies what that is (travel for up to x number of pax, depending on the sport). However the method of the travel can be at their discretion, and can be a train warrant.

DaveDaffe

War Hero
Hi mate I really appreciate your help if you be kind enough if I give you my number would you be able to call me .it's better than bloody text .lee....Phone Number Redacted
PERSEC dont publish personal info like phone numbers!!!

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
You all do know that by quoting him, even if he deletes his no. in the OP, it stays in the quotes. GJ.

Follow up posters .... edit your quotes of his number !

... and @Blackandtan edit and remove your personal phone number - the whole internet have access to it, even worse .... members of arrse have your phone number

Follow up posters .... edit your quotes of his number !

... and @Blackandtan edit and remove your personal phone number - the whole internet have access to it, even worse .... members of arrse have your phone number
Done

It’s not so much an additional insurance requirement, it’s more of a lesser insurance cover on many policies now

The ‘norm’ used to cover social & domestic (your personal use of your car), commuting (getting to work) and incidental work journeys (occasional travel to other places of work)
The incidental business travel would normally be sufficient

In the competitive comparison market to lower prices the cover becomes less

If you make an occasional work journey and it’s no longer in your policy then you’re not insured
Often the jobsworths just say that you cannot claim, they either don’t understand or don’t care that you shouldn’t be making the journey at all
Making sure you are covered might cost you no more or it might make a small or larger difference on the policy

Latest Threads