Traumatised troops sent to the priory.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EAGLE1, Aug 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do you think of this story:Daily star 7/8/06 page 15.

Should there be a centralised military facility for recovering soldiers.
    Do civilians really know the score with these men.

Traumatised troops sent to The Priory
    BRITISH troops traumatised by the horrors of war are being treated at celebrity rehab haunt The Priory.

More than 800 have been patients in the past three years at Priory clinics, which have been used by troubled stars including Kate Moss, 32, Sophie Anderton, 29, and Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood, 59.

The troops are some of the 1,541 Iraq veterans suffering from psychiatric illnesses brought on by being constantly under fire and the trauma of seeing friends and civvies killed by suicide bombers.

The MoD is taking the problem so seriously it has paid out almost £9million for immediate in-patient treatment and mental health assessments at The Priory.

It has also established new psychiatric centres in Iraq to help soldiers deal with combat stress.

The news comes as a senior Army officer admitted British troops in Afghanistan are on the "brink of exhaustion" after 25 major battles in two months.

Back-to-back operations which have killed 700 Taliban and 50C temperatures have left a core of 700 soldiers "knackered" and in desperate need of reinforcements.

Some families have complained of being betrayed by the military in the past. Deborah Higgins felt that she was ignored when her son James Potrowski started acting strangely after returning from Iraq.

He suffered horrific flashbacks and later stole firearms from his barracks and was sentenced to seven years in prison.

She said: "James was in turmoil. I was begging for help for my son but getting none."

A British soldier died in Afghanistan yesterday during operations against "insurgent positions" in Helmand.
  2. It's The Star. It ranks somewhere below the Beano. It's a very, very old story, but it will be wasted on Star readers as many of the words have more than two syllables.

Journo graveyard, all the news that's fit to wipe your arrse on.
  3. So do you think this issue is still relevant?
  4. Made the front page of the telegraph as well today -what a great chance to shag a mad posh bird, dribbling into her cornflakes while you ream her - and then claim PTSD if caught!!
  5. My point her is do you think that civilians are the right people to be treating ex-soldiers. lets face it these blokes will clam up if faced with a civilian. That will just compound the issue.
  6. Firstly: the "priory" are a group of centres that have been used by the Military for some years now as the old pysch hospitals have closed.

Secondly: I believe this is wrong and we should still look after our own in-patients as once in, the army looses sight of the soldier.
    I had a soldier sectioned to one down south and we were told no mil visitors for the first 3 months whilst being an in-patient, and then no contact for 3 months after release.

Thirdly: Sadly it is the way the forces are going. We no longer have our own hospitals or pysch units (apart from outpatients). Did anyone raise the issue when one of the lads was admitted to an MDHU once the mil hospitals closed??.

The reasons behind using private facilities for certain areas are to numerous to go into, it's not just the cost cutting but it is a shame.
  7. As opposed to an officer (which they will be) REMF psychiatrist who has no idea of what they've been through? At least the civvie won't be perceived as part of the CoC...

Makes no difference - I'd rather have a civvie than someone who might have an impact on the annual report...
  8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I've often wondered what prompted MOD to award the contract to Labour donor Chai Patel's Priory Group....
  9. QUOTE:Makes no difference - if you're fcucked in the head, I'd rather have a civvie asking me whether mum stuck things up me bum than someone who might have an impact on the annual report...

What the **** has the annual report got to do with the price of chips.
    These men are being pushed to the max. When they are processed for PTSD they then get moved quietly to civvi street.

This is a total waste of experienced men. I can guarantee that if they were treated and helped back into service they would be pleased that the military had taken the time to help them.

At the moment they are just seen to be cast off and rejected.
    this will lead to bittereness from these men who give their all. Surely the MOD could establish a re-training centre to get these men the help they deserve. after all PTSD is a treatable injury.

It will take time and money to treat these men, yet surely it would be a good investment.

But in my oppinion it would be far more cost effective to give all military personnel councelling to open these men up to healing when they are young and when they will be more likely to respond to help. Think about it. It does make sense.
  10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I don't think counselling all military personnel would help at all.

What is needed is education. All personnel need to be educated about traumatic stress, and that it's a normal reaction to an abnormal event. Whilst some effort is made to do this now, in my view a considerable level of ignorance remains - there are stlll many people, particularly officers and SNCOs, who think it can't happen to them, or who won't seek help because they are worried about the effect on their career. There is still a huge amount of ignorance, possibly deliberate, in the CoC when it comes to dealing with those affected; psychological injuries are still looked upon like some sort of juju in many places.

No-one should be scared of going through military medical or welfare channels if they need help.
  11. From my studies of PTSD I can assure anyone reading this that PTSd is a warning that you have been neglecting emotional issues from your past.
    PTSD is rarely caused by one traumatic event.

It is more often caused through years of trauma that finally manifests itself in the condition known as PTSD.

The reality is that as men we do not talk about our emotional issues as much as women. Yet I can assure all of you that the reason men take their own lives more often than women is simply because we have the mistaken belief that talking about our emotional issues is 'only for wimps'.

Can we please for fucks sake as men 'wake up' and talk to each other.
    Any trauma has got to be processed and we can accomplish this in one simple yet 'very effective way'-TALK TALK TALK TALK TALK.

I have had PTSD I have studied PTSD 'seriously now' keep people who have experienced trauma together and 'talk it out'.
  12. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Having seen lads with PTSD, directed soldiers to CPNs on ops and helped soldiers as patients in the old DKMH, it's time to chuck my two penn'orth in.

The lads I've seen with PTSD were all treated in the same way (they were caught at an early stage, shortly after returning from tour) in line with military psychiatric advice (yes, you can still get it!).

Simply, get them down the pub with their mates and let them get pissed and cry it off (make sure no-one interferes in the process - tears turn to punches fairly quickly). Repeat as necessary. Between times, employ them in useful, relevant military work - they feel useful, relevant and still in the system as opposed to being at home, staring at the 4 walls.

This is a crude but effective treatment - these lads were out with their mates who they knew would look after them them and could appreciate/understand what was being spoken about. It worked and worked well.

With regards to the CPN, he was employed in Afghanistan after a team of my blokes had to tidy up after a rather nasty incident. The lads weren't sent to see him but visited him out of choice and the old-fashioned chat over a 'cup of tea and a fag' was very effective. It was followed up by my SSgt and I keeping an eye on them and making sure that they were OK.

As to DKMH, the lads I visited there were very happy with their treatment and were glad that it was being done in-house. The fact that the psychiatrist was in green kit, had done op tours and was nothing to do with the CoC - as far as they were concerned, the Army was looking after its own and they could relate to the shrink and vice-versa.

I am less happy with the current system. The Army is far more aware of PTSD/combat stress/whichever name is en vogue but I feel that it is unsuitable for The Priory/NHS to provide treatment - the soldier is outside the military environment, he is likely to be on leave and those providing treatment have no knowledge of the soldier's operational environment.
  13. I am a 'Critical Incident Debriefer', something which fortunately I have only ever had to do once (an RLC gilrs basketball team v a tired Dutch Artic driver). I have also been involved in any number of fatal incidents. Now with my providence available I believe that I am qualified to say that early intervention is best, unfortunately not everyone will benefit but the majority will. The worst thing the Mil Psych's did was to pooh pooh their own course.......
  14. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I've done Critical Incident Debriefing training (and was involved, in another capacity, with the incident LWM refers to above), though I've not yet had occasion to use it. I also have a good deal of experience with fatal and near-fatal incidents. I agree with LWM - early intervention generally works for most people.

No doubt it'll come back into fashion with the psychs again, in time.

Untallguy describes a good way to decompress after an incident, and can be useful in cases of low level traumatic stress injury. However, true PTSD may not manifest itself until some time after the incident (often years), and requires professional treatment that can be complex - it isn't resolved by a few beers with mates.