Trapped Welsh miners

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Sep 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't see this mentioned elsewhere.

Three of the poor buggers dead.Not looking too good for the fourth one.

2. Fingers crossed. A horrendous job done by brave people. Kay Burley's false grief makes me want to puke. She is a disgrace.

3. Having seen he pics from inside the place,it looks quite grim at the best of times.
    I'm no big fan of Burley either.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

She always has been, she is truly awful. No idea why Sky keep her after she made herself look ridiculous during the election coverage last year.

5. Thought he hadn't posted today!

6. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the deceased at this time. Hopefully one family will be spared.

7. Im not one usually sympathetic to the plight of others, however when its honest blokes doing graft in shit conditions (not suited twats in tall buildings) then they have my respect and the families my condolences.

******* Burley

8. Don't panic people.
    Unluckily for you, I'm ok.

It's all happening just up the road from where I currently reside.
    I didn't even know there was a mine there.
    It's not looking good for the fourth guy.

9. RIP poor buggers, a bloody hard dangerous job to be sure and a awfull way to go.

10. The pictures are quite old and are from a period when the mine was empty and unused.

Small coal mines tend not to be pleasant places but not quite as Dickensian as Sky News make out.
    By the standards of some small mines 30 inch height in working areas is quite big, some work seams as low as 12 to 18 inches.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

If i understand that correctly, you mean that the coal seam could be 30 inches from top to bottom, or less? And is potentially 100's of feet underground...

Screw that!! [shudder]

12. I was an apprentice in Penrikyber colliery before joining up in 68,it was 685 yards deep,seams varying between 3ft and 6 feet.

13. Yes. Although Sky's reporting isn't very clear but thats usually what it means.
    The main roadways are around 5 feet high (the areas with tubs and rails) and the working areas are about 2.5 feet high.
    The smallest worked seams I've seen are 12 inches high and 30 to 40 feet in from the roadways.
    Usually worked by drilling and blasting the coal then using a hand held air powered pick and a shovel to break up and move the coal.

Small mines generally operate from a drift rather than a vertical shaft. The plans shown on the telly show the main roads going up and down vertically, this is because they tend to follow the coal seams into the hillside. This creates the U-bend effect seen here where there are dry areas beyond the floods.

Historically speaking an inrush of water isn't an uncommon event.

Given that the fourth miner hasn't been found in the area where the water sumped is a positive. If he managed to get inbye (deeper into the mine) of the flooding there is a reasonable chance of survival.

14. I come from a mining family and I shudder at the thought of working in those conditions.

RIP to those who have died and fingers crossed for the last one.

Thoughts for the families and friends at this awful time.

15. The fourth has now been found dead sadly