translate latin - english

#1
hey, im just looking for someone to try and translate this - "Com mitibus milits, cum feris ferus" into relatively perfect english please, ive looked around on the net for somewhere to translate it but i can only find multiple meanings to one or two of the words... any help would be appreciated

WR. :)
 
#2
white_rabbit said:
hey, im just looking for someone to try and translate this - "Com mitibus milits, cum feris ferus" into relatively perfect english please, ive looked around on the net for somewhere to translate it but i can only find multiple meanings to one or two of the words... any help would be appreciated

WR. :)
I know someone that will be able to do that for you, he is master of ancient studies at a private school. I'll call him tommorrow.
 
#8
hmm intresting thanks, and the first 3 words are apprently correct bravo... sounds good ill wait to hear from biscuit for a 100% accurate answer i hope... its my family motto.. quite intresting
 
#9
white_rabbit said:
hmm intresting thanks, and the first 3 words are apprently correct bravo... sounds good ill wait to hear from biscuit for a 100% accurate answer i hope... its my family motto.. quite intresting
Guessing that the first word is comitibus then, from comes,meaning with, by, to or for the comrades. My best guess would be: "When (cum) with the comrades (comitibus), a soldier (militis) is usually (feris) rough (ferus)". An interesting choice for a family motto; bear in mind that my Latin is slightly rusty, so don't start having the T-shirts printed just yet ;) . "ferus" is a tricky word to translate without context; it can mean rough, but also cruel, uncivilised and wild in the sense of a wild animal; more an insult than a testament to someone's bravery.

Prepared to be corrected on this; it's been a while since I've translated anything more complicated than some Roman numerals.
 
#10
I dont mind haha im glad for any info. offered bravo and i have had other people tell me the wording may be a bit off... but that is not my doing, so ill get back to you with any further info on mistakes.
 
#11
Bravo_Zulu said:
white_rabbit said:
hmm intresting thanks, and the first 3 words are apprently correct bravo... sounds good ill wait to hear from biscuit for a 100% accurate answer i hope... its my family motto.. quite intresting
Guessing that the first word is comitibus then, from comes,meaning with, by, to or for the comrades. My best guess would be: "When (cum) with the comrades (comitibus), a soldier (militis) is usually (feris) rough (ferus)". An interesting choice for a family motto; bear in mind that my Latin is slightly rusty, so don't start having the T-shirts printed just yet ;) . "ferus" is a tricky word to translate without context; it can mean rough, but also cruel, uncivilised and wild in the sense of a wild animal; more an insult than a testament to someone's bravery.

Prepared to be corrected on this; it's been a while since I've translated anything more complicated than some Roman numerals.
That's nearer than mine Bravo, the first word 'Com' threw me but 'Comitibus' does make more sense and changes the meaning of the phrase entirely.
:)
 
#13
white_rabbit said:
how does it change it lanceprivate? :)
I went for 'A soldier stays calm when things are fierce'.

Bravo said (basically) 'A soldier can be a bit of an handful when he is with his mates', I think that is what he said anyway.

I think he is more accurate.
 
#14
My relative had some references to partying etc but also fighting/soldiers so i think its on the right lines, but im not one to say haha :wink:
 
#17
Totally OT. This thread is inspiring. Amidst all the dross that appears elsewhere, comes a thread like this. The depth of knowledge within what civpop decries as 'rough and nasty soldiers' is truly amazing. Well no - not amazing. This old smelly has known it from his days but I thought it had died. Well done. And thanks the COs for providing a platform. I'll be 'doing Latin' all day now!
 
#18
Don't do Latin but I have read Herodotus, does that count
 
#19
tropper66 said:
Don't do Latin but I have read Herodotus, does that count
Just thought he was Greek so it dont, will Tacitus do
 
#20
BiscuitsAB said:
white_rabbit said:
hey, im just looking for someone to try and translate this - "Com mitibus milits, cum feris ferus" into relatively perfect english please, ive looked around on the net for somewhere to translate it but i can only find multiple meanings to one or two of the words... any help would be appreciated

WR. :)
I know someone that will be able to do that for you, he is master of ancient studies at a private school. I'll call him tommorrow.
Any updates biscuit, or anyone else reading have any ideas?

Thanks WR
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top