translate latin - english

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by white_rabbit, Mar 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey, im just looking for someone to try and translate this - "Com mitibus milits, cum feris ferus" into relatively perfect english please, ive looked around on the net for somewhere to translate it but i can only find multiple meanings to one or two of the words... any help would be appreciated

WR. :)
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I know someone that will be able to do that for you, he is master of ancient studies at a private school. I'll call him tommorrow.
  3. Thanks alot mate ill wait patiently :D
  4. Are you sure that's the correct Latin? The first three words don't look right to me.
  5. I dont know bravo its what i was told, so im presuming its correct ill check. :)
  6. 'A soldier stays calm when things are fierce'.

Just off the top of my head and possibly a bit inaccurate.
  7. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

beat me too it you old bugger "damnant quodnon intelligunt"
  8. hmm intresting thanks, and the first 3 words are apprently correct bravo... sounds good ill wait to hear from biscuit for a 100% accurate answer i hope... its my family motto.. quite intresting
  9. Guessing that the first word is comitibus then, from comes,meaning with, by, to or for the comrades. My best guess would be: "When (cum) with the comrades (comitibus), a soldier (militis) is usually (feris) rough (ferus)". An interesting choice for a family motto; bear in mind that my Latin is slightly rusty, so don't start having the T-shirts printed just yet ;) . "ferus" is a tricky word to translate without context; it can mean rough, but also cruel, uncivilised and wild in the sense of a wild animal; more an insult than a testament to someone's bravery.

Prepared to be corrected on this; it's been a while since I've translated anything more complicated than some Roman numerals.
  10. I dont mind haha im glad for any info. offered bravo and i have had other people tell me the wording may be a bit off... but that is not my doing, so ill get back to you with any further info on mistakes.
  11. That's nearer than mine Bravo, the first word 'Com' threw me but 'Comitibus' does make more sense and changes the meaning of the phrase entirely.
  12. how does it change it lanceprivate? :)
  13. I went for 'A soldier stays calm when things are fierce'.

Bravo said (basically) 'A soldier can be a bit of an handful when he is with his mates', I think that is what he said anyway.

I think he is more accurate.
  14. My relative had some references to partying etc but also fighting/soldiers so i think its on the right lines, but im not one to say haha :wink:
  15. Doesn't that mean 'Condemnation with Understanding' Tom?

Are you having a pop?