Transition & linkedin

oldbaldy

LE
The chap in my local council who is responsible for the Military Covenant is looking at transition and how they can assist.
One of his ideas is to set up a linkedin group for use by the local Chamber of Commerce and those leaving the service.

My questions are:

Is it a good idea, given the number of linkedin groups out there already.

How does he make it visible to those leaving, especially those who do not have a linkedin presence.

B

bokkatankie

There is, already, a vast range of service groups (serving, ex-serving, job links etc.) for British Armed Forces on Linked In, I would suggest he started there.

LinkedIn is a great tool for networking. The downside which gets on my Tits, is profile photos of guys n girls in uniform with guns etc etc. Civvies will be put of by that immeadiatly.

My advice, shirt and tie!

For a LinkedIn group to be of value, it needs regular content posting on it, which takes effort and a bit of group leadership from someone. Just starting a group isn't enough; there are lots of moribund groups on LinkedIn with zero traffic.

As others have said, there are already plenty of ex-military groups and a number aimed specifically at transition, but very few of them are local. I reckon a good, local group could be very useful, particularly if it was linked to some physical networking too.

I like the idea of linking with the local Chamber of Commerce, but I reckon your council should talk to other local networking groups too, including the commercial ones like BNI & 4Networking. Also have a look at MeetUp as a means of running physical meetings.

Slightly different I know, but I am very involved in my local PMI chapter. We use a LinkedIn group and MeetUp to run the whole thing. We meet once a month and always get more than 50 attendees.