Transition from Regular to Territorial

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by spaz, Jun 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I've had a bit of new today and am looking into the possibility of joining the TA. I'm currently REME but am possibly open to a change of capbadge. Any advice on good units in the South east?

I will have been in for just over 17 1/2 years when I leave am currently a SSgt, can I keep my rank when I leave, does it depend on staying the same capbadge?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I know from my time at 151 RLC we used to have an LAD staffed by 103Bn run by a staffy at Sqn level and they were a fairly decent outfit, alternatively 104 as a hybrid might be an easier transition. I know a few bods at 104 (as I'm sure you do), but the NICs should be able to absorb you in rank.
  3. After all the slating ..... From my experience, pre capita, if there is a slot for you at your preferred unit then it's relatively seamless, I lost my rank but I went into a different arm, I did keep the pay though and straight into top level I said this was before capita it's probably screwed up now...good luck

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

4. My advice(for what it is worth), would be to sort out your personal circumstances first (job, family etc). The TA will still be here in 6 months time. There will be a fair amount of musical chairs post FR2020, so you may wish for the dust to settle first before commiting to a new unit.

With your skills and experience you should have no trouble in fitting in at what ever unit you pick, but I would leave a bit of an air gap first.

Good Luck
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Is the world ready for "New Spaz"?

I hope that the transition to STABdom won't dull the razor sharp abuse and invective that we have grown accustomed to from
    Old Spaz.....

Wannabe Stab Cnut....;o)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I know what you're saying Foz but I need to move pretty sharpish or I won't get the bonuses. Does anyone know how soon you have to join after leaving the regs?
  7. I fixed one of 151's MAN trucks once so they might be keen to take me on, I've already got a HGV licence too.
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I wouldn't leave it any more than a year. I seem to recall if it's under a year, you'll go straight on to top whack bounty.

£1600 a year tax free for doing MATTs. It's for winners.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Some details are on DII, but you can get a Commitment Bonus which is £2000 lump sum and £1000 in stages, on top of annual bounty.
    Other incentives designed to attract ex-regulars into the TA include retention of seniority, reduced annual training requirements and reduced call-out liability while ensuring entitlement to the TA Annual Bounty. Not sure if you'd keep rank, maybe depend on PIDs.

Good luck
  10. You do know you'll have to work Fridays and weekends? Right?

You will retain your rank as long as they can find coveralls to fit.

IIRC the standard TA REME SSgt issue set appears to be Height : 5'3" and waist size 44"+
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You actually do MATTs?

How quaint, you must be one of those junior rank types. Officers and SNCOs in the TA rarely bother themselves with such trifles.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Probably why they are shit :D

Spaz will have little self pride from being in the REME so moving to the part time loggies shouldn't be a drama.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I know that to you and most other members of the TA, banging in a PFT is quite difficult and requires a huge amount of preparation and physical exertion, but for me it's really not that much of a hassle.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It requires very little preparation or physical exertion for most of the TA either. A barely legible scribble on the training record sheet is not the most demanding task.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Don't worry, Spaz, you can Wunderweb turnups.
    • Like Like x 1