• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Transiting through America

Starting to do my yearly squirm trying to get to Ottawa for a reasonable price.

Most of the "cheap" deals, Newcastle to Ottawa are offered by KLM.

Newcastle to Amsterdam, then Detroit to Ottawa.

I've never been to America, so am wondering do I stay in transit, or do I have to enter through immigration, then back out to Canada?

You hear horror stories of awkward officials that it's very off- putting.......

According to a visa forum I'm also on, there's no such thing as just transiting through the US any more, everyone who lands has to go through immigration even if they're getting straight back on a flight.

Not sure how accurate the gen is but if it's true then assuming you're coming back the same way then make sure your trip's no longer than 90 days.
You only get 90 days visa waiver in the US which includes time spent in Canada so if you try going back through the States over that 90 days then you're get an automatic ban from travelling visa free to the US if you ever fancy going there on holiday.

Last time I went through Detroit to Canada I went through immigration. Checked passport to be certain and the Detroit immigration stamps are staring back at me.

Last time I went through Detroit to Canada I went through immigration. Checked passport to be certain and the Detroit immigration stamps are staring back at me.
Did you have to do an ESTA before going, something I should have mentioned in my first post.

All travellers entering the US on the Visa Waiver Programme have to do an online ESTA application first, costs $14 and lasts 2 years for multiple entries.

Lots of scam sites offering to do it for a price but it's easy enough to do yourself.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'll be hoping to make it to Canada on day, always wanted to go. Looks like amazing scenery and I have distant relations there.

Dunno if I'll be getting there through the US though, that depends on the embassy when I go see them
We booked a Motorhome was very good.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Did you have to do an ESTA before going, something I should have mentioned in my first post.

All travellers entering the US on the Visa Waiver Programme have to do an online ESTA application first, costs $14 and lasts 2 years for multiple entries.

Lots of scam sites offering to do it for a price but it's easy enough to do yourself.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
No "just signing the form on the plane" these days??

For starters dont fly from Newcastle its very expensive, try Manchester it better priced even if you add in the train fare and if you need it over night digs.

Have you tried skyscanner for flight prices.?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Here you go:

Nonimmigrant Visas | Embassy of the United States

I can't see how the time in Canada counts in the 90 days. When you fly to Canada (or drive over the border), they will mark you as having exited the country. When you return to Detroit, you'll get another 90 days when you either cross the border, or go through US Immigration in a Canadian airport.

What if you had an indirect flight there through the US, and a direct one home? You'd never go back through the US, so they'd think you were illegal.

Essentially, if you've been a good boy and never been arrested etc, then you will have no problems with the VWP transitting through the US. You will have to get an ESTA though.
Can't link to it on my phone but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Time spent in Canada, Mexico or the Carribean counts as part of the 90 days. Otherwise all the naughty people would just stay their 90 days, nip over the border and then come back with a clean slate.

Sent in a harsh font, using finger paints

One tip: Do not dither when getting off the plane and through to immigration, race to the front of your passenger group, get to as near the front of the herd as possible. We had a problem with the nipper one time and ended up at the back of the herd and it took nearly 3 hours to clear immigration.........standing, with a bored 4 year old, no food, no drinks and if we hadn't been at the back anyway we would have lost our place when we took the nipper to the bathroom.

Also, I have been at a couple of airports after arriving where some customs lert has insisted on x-raying every incoming bag...........so queue at immigration, then a queue at the one x-ray machine. Well why should they care, they are there for an 8 hour shift anyway.

And stay behind the white line until called forward, not even half a step passed the line...........they get funny.

Just had a quick look on expedia - Air France offer newcastle paris ottowa - similar price to manchester detroit/philli ottowa - no need to bother with USA ! I too suffer with flights from NCL - rip off merchants !!!

May it be suggested Manchester to Montreal, prices start from £624.00 return. Then get the Air Canada Express flight to Ottawa - booking ticket on arrival. Flight time Montreal to Ottawa is a maximum of 30 minutes.

For starters dont fly from Newcastle its very expensive, try Manchester it better priced even if you add in the train fare and if you need it over night digs.

Have you tried skyscanner for flight prices.?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

That's the one we went to earlier, thank you.

No matter how much you twist and squirm all the sodding alternatives were too much hassle.

Newcastle, Heathrow, Ottawa.......

Ottawa, Montreal, Heathrow, Newcastle....... £760.

A rip- off, but the alternatives were ridiculous.

Going via Toronto is usually cheaper, but the flight back is brutal.... Ottawa to Toronto- 9. 30 am.

Toronto Newcastle 9.30 pm, then an 8 hour flight

Thanks for the advice, adding an extra country, especially one as paranoid as the US was out of the question.

That's the one we went to earlier, thank you.

No matter how much you twist and squirm all the sodding alternatives were too much hassle.

Newcastle, Heathrow, Ottawa.......

Ottawa, Montreal, Heathrow, Newcastle....... £760.

A rip- off, but the alternatives were ridiculous.

Going via Toronto is usually cheaper, but the flight back is brutal.... Ottawa to Toronto- 9. 30 am.

Toronto Newcastle 9.30 pm, then an 8 hour flight

Thanks for the advice, adding an extra country, especially one as paranoid as the US was out of the question.
Was reading something a couple of weeks ago about top 10 most difficult countries to visit. All the usual suspects like N Korea, various African states and middle eastern ones.
USA was number 3. No problems for the majority of tourists unless you've got something against you like any convictions. Then you've got a struggle.

What's getting in to Canada like?

Sent in a harsh font, using finger paints

Never had any problem.... quick few questions in immigration, then through.

I met a Canadian couple many years ago in Barbados and we kept in touch, then they invited us over....... been about 12 times.

They live on the outskirts of Ottawa and have a cottage on a lake about a 100 miles away, so we commute between the two, fishing, boating, drinking beer and barbecuing large lumps of beef.

It's a difficult place to just visit as a tourist, because it's so vast and you don't have access to all the toys like boats and 4 wheel bikes that make the visit so good, plus they don't have our pub culture, they tend to visit each other for drinks and barbecues.

The social side is great if you can join in, I love it.

Toronto is a vast sprawl, I don't enjoy it there, but Ottawa has a really nice vibe to it, if my friends are both working on the odd day when I'm over, I love going down town to have a wander.

May it be suggested Manchester to Montreal, prices start from £624.00 return. Then get the Air Canada Express flight to Ottawa - booking ticket on arrival. Flight time Montreal to Ottawa is a maximum of 30 minutes.
The flight between Montreal and Ottawa more often as not turns out to be a bus trip. With KLM it was pretty much a certainty and with others it depended on the number of passengers.

Ottawa in the winter was interesting with people skating to work along the Rideau canal. A good way to wake up and start the day.

The flight between Montreal and Ottawa more often as not turns out to be a bus trip. With KLM it was pretty much a certainty and with others it depended on the number of passengers.
I did that a couple of years ago.... Air France, Newcastle to Paris, then Paris to Montreal, then Greyhound to Ottawa.

One of the best trips ever, window seat in bright daylight, take an atlas.

From Paris, north to the coast, turn left along the Normandy beaches, overflying the Channel Islands, north again to around Southhampton, west down the coast to around Torquay.

Over the Atlantic, making landfall over Labrador, desolate place, just black and white, you could see icebergs and the currents, with ice floes marking them.

Gradually, the rock and ice faded to green, then turned up the St. Lawrence to Montreal...... a fascinating trip.

After immigration, went outside, there was a mini- mart on the right to pick up a few ice- colds for the bus trip..... a little over an hour.

Would have liked to have gone Air France this time, but too expensive...... the food is pretty good and they're very liberal with the free drinkie- poos.

Latest Threads