Transit and the hell of being the new boy

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by don_ten, Oct 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right here goes;

I've been in the Army a while but I'm now at a new unit. I did leave the army for a fairly extended period of time then rejoined. Im now in the position now where a lot of my old muckers are of the senior variety and the last time I saw many of them was either in compromising positions in some grotty block in collie or half dead in some dive bar down town. These men are now pretending/ actually maturing into fine soldiers while I at my present rank and accom status feel like I should be just getting mashed with the lads. Comments or derision appreciated.

2. Look, just now might seem like the worst time of your life, all your old mates scorning you and your new colleagues looking at you with suspicion, but you'll get over it.

Until you reach retirement age and you see the difference in pension between you and your old mates.

3. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Oooerr I can feel the pain on reading that last little comment

4. Well I have kept my seniority and I'm now top whack but I'm not to bothered about that, the eyed suspiciously line is the more worrying aspect. Think I'll roll with it and see what happens.

A swift shoeing might sort me out possibly from a number of gentlemen who are in the block and have been AGAI'd by myself in the past :|

5. Some bloke called Wolfe had a few thoughts on this I think

You Can't Go Home Again - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 1
  6. The title comes from the denouement of the novel in which Webber realises: "You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time – back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."

The phrase “you can’t go home again” has entered American speech to mean that once you have left your country town or provincial backwater city for a sophisticated metropolis you can’t return to the narrow confines of your previous way of life and, more generally, attempts to relive youthful memories will always fail. It has been suggested that the phrase is sometimes spoken to mean that you can’t return to your place of origin without being deemed a failure. THIS IS ME RIGHT NOW

7. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

There comes a stage in life when you realise you're not as young as you used to be. When your stable belt is older than some of your JNCOs. When you remember drawing A/R payments in Deutchmarks on a Friday morning ready for the weekend ahead in 'Wet'mold or somewhere German speaking. When going out on the lash with your 'peer' group becomes a little embarrassing - leaning over the rails of the dance floor, watching them sway to Snoop Jiggy-dog - and wondering why the dance floor suddenly clears of youuth when they play a bit of 'old skool' and in amongst your temporary excitement, you initially fail to realise your now surrounded by the older and more plump variety of single mums (the Take That girls of yesteryear).

To us, it feels like yesterday - but then most of my peers joined at a time when gays were not permitted to join (although I somehow managed to slip through that particular net), all the women were in one Regt, and the few ethnics that enhanced our ranks were all called 'midnight'.

Much has changed! I only hope you get promoted quickly (shouldn't be hard with the obvious 'maturity' tick in the box on your next SJAR) and that way you'll be able to reach for your pipe and slippers without worrying too much about people's perceptions.

At the moment, I guess you're a bit like the guy that got kept back a year in school - a few inches taller than all your other classmates. It will have it's benefits - especially if you can still knock out a PFA in under 10 minutes and give the younger lads a run for their money.

I remember my first proper unit; there was a lance jack that ran the bedding store. He looked incredibly old to all us newbie lance jacks - then we found out not only had he been a bad boy in the past, but also he'd got out, rejoined etc. But he was left alone by the powers-that-be and seemed relatively happy with the respect shown to him by all ranks for his time served.

Someone from ARRSE should have had a word with him mind - if only he had realised all he needed to do was get busted by one rank and he could have had an RSM's pension :)

8. Ha! Brilliant.. Do you know me?!

Thanks for all this makes me feel ok now ��