Transit accommodation on permanent basis

Gents,

Been posted to a new Barracks, and been lumped in a "transit" block, where Ive been told I could be for up to 5 years. Not normally one to kick off about accom conditions (it is what it is) but I've been told because it's a 'transit' block, im not allowed to bring my dog, and been told "get rid of it then". Seems a bit unreasonable to me, so was wondering if theres any JSP gurus that know if theres a maximum length of time someone can be in transit before it's considered overflow or surplus accom?

Any help would be grand, cheers!

Gents,

Been posted to a new Barracks, and been lumped in a "transit" block, where Ive been told I could be for up to 5 years. Not normally one to kick off about accom conditions (it is what it is) but I've been told because it's a 'transit' block, im not allowed to bring my dog, and been told "get rid of it then". Seems a bit unreasonable to me, so was wondering if theres any JSP gurus that know if theres a maximum length of time someone can be in transit before it's considered overflow or surplus accom?

I moved into transit accommodation in 1999 in Gutersloh for a few weeks... I left 5 years later.

I also seem to remember the corimec temporary blocks in Abingdon being there for at least a decade (Soldiers posted in and out as normal)

I think you have lucked out mate, the army doesnt have to let you look after a dog regardless of what the accommodation is classed as. Unless you find someone to fight your corner or you live out, you are going to have to rehome the mutt.
Maybe there is an obscure rule turning transit into another type but Ive never heard of it, it was always what the QM said it was.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
rent somewhere that allows pets.

Yep, live out of camp - rent a house like most non home owners do throughout the world. Failing that - buy a big caravan/mobile home and live like a pikey.

OK, I'll bite (no pun intended).

What were your circumstances before this posting, that the Army allowed you to keep a pet dog in barracks?

Please note that I appear to be treating the OP as if this was a real situation, and not just made up. I'm doing my best.

OK, I'll bite (no pun intended).

What were your circumstances before this posting, that the Army allowed you to keep a pet dog in barracks?

Please note that I appear to be treating the OP as if this was a real situation, and not just made up. I'm doing my best.
Lots of places let you keep animals in SLA. Mainly Messes but sometime junior accommodation.

So who looks after the dog if he's deployed ?
Probably the same type of person who looks after dogs belonging to all other single people when they temporarily have to live away.

Gents,

You're not in Leipzig Block in Woolwich are you?

I served a long time and cant remember any single, junior ranks being allowed a dog in the block.

I served a long time and cant remember any single, junior ranks being allowed a dog in the block.
I can remember the singles having unauthorised dogs in the block, (normally 2 legged versions after a night on the pop).

Never seen a single in the block with a four legged one, (a few parrots, goldfish, hamsters etc were allowed providing the bunk/room was kept clean. Unfair to animals to live in a squaddies grot).

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Pitch a tent outside the RSM's office and live in that with the mutt. That'll get the QM's attention.

Occasionally time moves on in the army.

964ST

LE
Gents,

I have read your post, and it is Not at all Clear! Are you Married (maybe un-happily!!?) or Single (Actually with a Canine Beast?)

There is no true transit accommodation other than training establishments. Transit & overflow are the use and surplus means it’s not needed.

Off the top of my head I think that up to 6 months is transient and longer is permanent.
Sites treat their ‘best’ blocks for permanent and older blocks for transit/transient. Many will put new residents into the older blocks until there is a vacancy in other blocks.

The rules for pets are set locally, they are allowed or disallowed by the chain of command and aren’t specific to permanent or transit use.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I think its this one
1607458885899.png

Latest Threads